Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-10-2023, 08:39 AM   #1
Saberscar223

Drives: 2023 Riverside Blue 2SS
Can you force the car into daytime lighting mode?

When the car is in night mode it’s hard to see the screens when it’s sunrise and I have sunglasses on is there anyway to force it or have any control over it whatsoever?
Saberscar223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 08:45 AM   #2
BluinSC

Drives: BVM 1SS
There's a dial to dim/brighten the screens left of steering wheel
BluinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 08:49 AM   #3
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberscar223 View Post
When the car is in night mode it’s hard to see the screens when it’s sunrise and I have sunglasses on is there anyway to force it or have any control over it whatsoever?
Same thing here, but for me mostly when the sun is going down (or after going through a tunnel late in the day and it gets "stuck" in night mode) - the dash basically looks blacked out. One of the few annoyances about my '21.

Last edited by The Maverick; 10-10-2023 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Typo
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 09:06 AM   #4
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluinSC View Post
There's a dial to dim/brighten the screens left of steering wheel
I get what the OP is saying, and that doesn't fix it. You can turn it up all the way, and it's still at most 75% of daytime brightness.

I, too, want 100% full daytime brightness at night. So I'm definitely interested in a resolution to this, following the thread.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 10:14 AM   #5
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberscar223 View Post
The problem isn’t with your car - it’s your polarized sunglasses. Although you really can’t see it, there’s a polarized pattern in your sunglass lenses that blocks the bright light from horizontal light waves like the sky, the road and your dash display and infotainment screen, which are also polarized. This makes what you’re looking at appear dimmer compared to the brighter surrounding area. Unfortunately, most polarized sunglass lenses are made in the same orientation, which causes what you’re looking at (like the dash) to go dark. To confirm this, hold your sunglasses in front of your face and rotate them up to 90 degrees while looking at the dash; the display will go dark. The solution is to buy sunglasses that aren’t polarized (gradated so they're darker at the top) or have a different polarization pattern - Air Force pilots use them to solve this problem. You probably will need to go to a glasses shop to find them.
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 11:18 AM   #6
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post
The problem isn’t with your car - it’s your polarized sunglasses. Although you really can’t see it, there’s a polarized pattern in your sunglass lenses that blocks the bright light from horizontal light waves like the sky, the road and your dash display and infotainment screen, which are also polarized. This makes what you’re looking at appear dimmer compared to the brighter surrounding area. Unfortunately, most polarized sunglass lenses are made in the same orientation, which causes what you’re looking at (like the dash) to go dark. To confirm this, hold your sunglasses in front of your face and rotate them up to 90 degrees while looking at the dash; the display will go dark. The solution is to buy sunglasses that aren’t polarized (gradated so they're darker at the top) or have a different polarization pattern - Air Force pilots use them to solve this problem. You probably will need to go to a glasses shop to find them.
All pilots wear them. Polarized sunglasses make it more difficult to spot other aircraft. Many outlets that sell pilot supplies have them.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 12:39 PM   #7
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
The reason is GM's automatic day/night mode control driven off of the sunlight sensor. The dimmer only controls backlight and illumination in night mode, and as stated above, even the max brightness is next to nothing in that mode, I would love to manually switch to daytime mode occasionally, too. Short of messing with the sun sensor, I don't think there is a way, official or other.

By the way, not sure if anyone noticed something similar, but my HUD seems to respond to the sun sensor as well. At first I thought I was seeing ghosts, but upon closer inspection, the HUD's brightness is adaptive (on top of its manual brightness control), it brightens up in the sun and dims in the shade a wee bit.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 12:49 PM   #8
Saberscar223

Drives: 2023 Riverside Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
The reason is GM's automatic day/night mode control driven off of the sunlight sensor. The dimmer only controls backlight and illumination in night mode, and as stated above, even the max brightness is next to nothing in that mode, I would love to manually switch to daytime mode occasionally, too. Short of messing with the sun sensor, I don't think there is a way, official or other.

By the way, not sure if anyone noticed something similar, but my HUD seems to respond to the sun sensor as well. At first I thought I was seeing ghosts, but upon closer inspection, the HUD's brightness is adaptive (on top of its manual brightness control), it brightens up in the sun and dims in the shade a wee bit.
Idk I think the HUD is the same 24/7 I’ve never seen the difference even when going from night to day while driving
Saberscar223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 02:10 PM   #9
olrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post

If the day/night mode sensor was separate from the automatic Twighlight Sentinel headlamp sensor you could either short it or cut it to open the circuit to keep the dash at full brightness. But I’m guessing they’re both operated from the same singular sensor at the top of the dash by the security LED.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Old 10-10-2023, 07:57 PM   #10
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Quote:
The problem isn’t with your car - it’s your polarized sunglasses.
Before people run out and buy new sunglasses, I wanted to note this may not be a global solution. I can confirm that the night-mode dash is still too dim for me (virtually invisible) even though I only wear non-polarized aviator's sunglasses.
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 10:12 PM   #11
olrocker

Quote:
It has nothing to do with glasses - I don’t even wear any. It’s the setup of GM’s day/night sensor that apparently is not user adjustable
Sharkskin/Light gray
Old 10-10-2023, 10:43 PM   #12
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
It has nothing to do with glasses - I don’t even wear any. It’s the setup of GM’s day/night sensor that apparently is not user adjustable
I wasn’t referring to the day/night sensor issue, which is a totally different (and real) problem.

My response was to the OP, where the problem definitely could have been wearing glasses dark enough to reduce the brightness of the sunrise, but also being too dark to allow the much dimmer dash display to easily be read. Gradated sunglasses that are darker at the top can help that situation, as can polarized lenses that have a different polarization pattern than the Camaro’s screen.
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 08:11 AM   #13
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwcowboy View Post
All pilots wear them. Polarized sunglasses make it more difficult to spot other aircraft. Many outlets that sell pilot supplies have them.
Actually, pilots do NOT wear polarized sunglasses (at least while they are flying) specifically because there is a polarized film on the windows of all aircraft. If they wore polarized glasses, they would have very large "blind spots."

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pi...sunglasses.pdf
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 10:33 AM   #14
olrocker

Quote:
I wasn’t referring to the day/night sensor issue, which is a totally different (and real) problem.

My response was to the OP, where the problem definitely could have been wearing glasses dark enough to reduce the brightness of the sunrise, but also being too dark to allow the much dimmer dash display to easily be read. Gradated sunglasses that are darker at the top can help that situation, as can polarized lenses that have a different polarization pattern than the Camaro’s screen.
Ah ok, I got it now.
Sharkskin/Light gray