Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-08-2023, 07:30 PM   #15
04DetroitLS

Drives: 2022 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Agreed. It was the same 2.0 that GM was sharing with Saab and even back in 2011 Saab advertised the 9-5 with the 2.0 as “BioPower” and you could fill with E85 and it would flex the tune accordingly. No way they would do that without the hardware prepped to handle it and the engines were run as delivered by GM.
huh... wonder if the same is true w the 2.0t sky/solstice/Kappas
04DetroitLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 07:54 PM   #16
Dynamical

Drives: 2022 Camaro LT1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAOLDGUY View Post
Would you mind please telling us what it did to the valves?
This was a few years ago I can't remember everything exactly but he was showing me where the edges of the valves looked burnt. It was like corrosion eating the edges of the valves and because of that, they may not seat/seal correctly in the head.
Dynamical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 08:50 PM   #17
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04DetroitLS View Post
Believe that is the same exact engine so should be good to go with E85 (not sure about the tune).
Old 07-09-2023, 08:28 AM   #18
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Unfortunately it is not. This is part of my original confusion around the Regal GS. The 2.0T in the Saturn Sky / Pontiac Solstice was engineered and manufactured in the US and was never part of our E85 program. I think some of the 2.2 & 2.4L NA engines were part of the program but not the US made boosted LGE/L850. The 2.0T in the BioPower Saabs, Opel / Vauxhall Insignia and Buick Regal based off of the Insignia were engineered and manufactured in Europe. Same basic design, but different top end. There was an Opel / Vauxhall version of the Solstice sold in Europe, but it was imported from the US with the US engine, just like the Regal was imported from the EU with the EU engines.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Last edited by Martinjlm; 07-09-2023 at 08:59 AM.
Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 08:29 AM   #19
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamical View Post
This was a few years ago I can't remember everything exactly but he was showing me where the edges of the valves looked burnt. It was like corrosion eating the edges of the valves and because of that, they may not seat/seal correctly in the head.
Spot on. And if the seats are getting chewed up as well, the sealing surface is kaput.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Last edited by Martinjlm; 07-09-2023 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-09-2023, 08:55 AM   #20
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

It is fairly easy to get a list of which vehicles were legitimately E85 capable by year. Here’s the list for 2010, the last year for Solstice / Sky.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2023, 07:49 PM   #21
04DetroitLS

Drives: 2022 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
It is fairly easy to get a list of which vehicles were legitimately E85 capable by year. Here’s the list for 2010, the last year for Solstice / Sky.
So is the only difference between the LNF (sky) and the LHU (euro) the injectors (assuming the US didnt get viton valve seals as well)
I know a lot of us Wbody guys were running e85 on tune...cant remember what else we needed
04DetroitLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 09:07 PM   #22
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
So is the only difference between the LNF (sky) and the LHU (euro) the injectors (assuming the US didnt get viton valve seals as well)
I know a lot of us Wbody guys were running e85 on tune...cant remember what else we needed
There are more differences. I’ve been away from it long enough that I cannot recall what all the differences are.

Old 07-10-2023, 07:03 AM   #23
Dynamical

Drives: 2022 Camaro LT1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Spot on. And if the seats are getting chewed up as well, the sealing surface is kaput.
I think he used the terminology "burned out valves" IIRC

We were specifically looking at port injection. Any idea what different effects we may see with these direct injection motors over time if any?
Dynamical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 08:34 AM   #24
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
i thought this video was helpful for my understanding and wanted to share...

ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 03:09 PM   #25
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamical View Post
I think he used the terminology "burned out valves" IIRC

We were specifically looking at port injection. Any idea what different effects we may see with these direct injection motors over time if any?
He also said “like corrosion eating away the edges of the valves” which is what I experienced seeing with non-hardened valves coming off dyno after running the full cycle on E85.

Can’t really help with the long-term effects of direct injection. I was in a different role by the time that was becoming an issue.