Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 05:16 PM   #29
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
i think its totally nuts that a person spend 60K for a car and cant drive it in 30 degree temps. hence, when i got my camaro, i opted for NON rs package, and went with all season 19s Pirelli. the RS has summer only, and so does 1LE/ZL1.
i get that its for performance and all, but, the ZL1 is such a great car, seems like using all seasons or at least making that an option for buyers would make some sense.
anyway OP be careful when driving, as the ZL1 is the king of camaros!
Old 01-04-2015, 05:22 PM   #30
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
i think its totally nuts that a person spend 60K for a car and cant drive it in 30 degree temps. hence, when i got my camaro, i opted for NON rs package, and went with all season 19s Pirelli. the RS has summer only, and so does 1LE/ZL1.
i get that its for performance and all, but, the ZL1 is such a great car, seems like using all seasons or at least making that an option for buyers would make some sense.
anyway OP be careful when driving, as the ZL1 is the king of camaros!
I think GM went with those tires for bragging rights. They probably wouldn't have gotten as good of ring times or 1/4 with something else. The high here was 40 yesterday so even here we have issues. I switched to the MPSSs and have been very happy. They still break loose when cold but a vast improvement over the hockey pucks.

Via lightning from a large Hammer.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:26 PM   #31
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
i would postpone the repairs. why don't you go in april?
even if it's 3 miles you can get hit or miss your first exit..

at 30 some degrees i wouldn't take any chances.

i would wait till spring.

anyway you decide you are old enough.
be prudent.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:56 PM   #32
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
OK, first off here is the actual SERVICE BULLETIN showing that the tires do in fact crack in cold weather (not some random picture off google but the actual bulletin).

Also....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL155 View Post
No.. I'm guaranteeing your not to smart .. Lol

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
I believe the word you are looking for here is "you're" and "too."

Might wanna make sure your grammar is correct before you try to insult someone smarter than you.

It's this simple, can you use the tires in cold weather? Sure. Should you? According to the BULLETIN (again made by people SMARTER than you), I wouldn't chance it.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:11 PM   #33
Gimpie95

Drives: 2012 Inferno Orange SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayno20 View Post
OK, first off here is the actual SERVICE BULLETIN showing that the tires do in fact crack in cold weather (not some random picture off google but the actual bulletin).

Also....

I believe the word you are looking for here is "you're" and "too."

Might wanna make sure your grammar is correct before you try to insult someone smarter than you.

It's this simple, can you use the tires in cold weather? Sure. Should you? According to the BULLETIN (again made by people SMARTER than you), I wouldn't chance it.
+1
Old 01-04-2015, 06:42 PM   #34
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Everybody is talking about traction, but you also need to be able to stop, possibly in a emergency, like a kid running into the street. I can imagine the lawsuit, much less the feeling you killed someone by taking chances if you knowingly violated the warning.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:58 PM   #35
VJZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Stop freaking out. You'll be fine. I live in upstate NY and drove the car all last winter with the stock good years. Just go super slow and you be fine. And no sudden movements.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:00 PM   #36
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJZL1 View Post
Stop freaking out. You'll be fine. I live in upstate NY and drove the car all last winter with the stock good years. Just go super slow and you be fine. And no sudden movements.
Like stopping!

Via lightning from a large Hammer.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:29 PM   #37
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Here is the new bulletin. The one you posted was from before even the first ZL1 was delivered.

#13-03-10-001: Information on Goodyear F1 Supercar G2 Tire Cold Weather Cracking - (Feb 6, 2013)

Subject: Information on Goodyear F1 Supercar G2 Tire Cold Weather Cracking

Models: 2012-2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
2013 Chevrolet Camaro SS with RPO 1LE

Cold Weather Operation

The Camaro ZL1 and RPO 1LE vehicles come with 285/35ZR20 and/or 305/35ZR20 Goodyear F1 Supercar G2 D.O.T. approved ultra high performance, track capable summer tires as standard equipment.
Goodyear F1 Supercar Performance tires are a summer season tire and are not intended to be driven on snow, ice or road surfaces below -7°C (20°F).
If the ambient temperature in your location is at or below -7°C (20°F), DO NOT MOVE THIS VEHICLE. The rubber used in these tires loses flexibility and may develop surface cracks in the tire tread/shoulder area at colder temperatures. Driving the vehicle, when the temperature is below -7°C (20°F), may result in surface cracks in the tread area of the tire. Surface cracks are cosmetic and will not result in a loss of air.

Tire Surface Cracks
Click the image to open in full size.

Special tread and compounds used on these performance tires will cause a decrease in performance in cold climates. Driving with ultra high performance summer tires on snow, ice or cold road surfaces may cause loss of control. Refer to the latest version of Corporate Bulletin Number 04-03-10-013: Driving Characteristics of Rear Wheel Drive Vehicles and Available Winter Tires for further information on available replacement winter tires for cold climate operation.
Tire Storage
It is recommended that Goodyear F1 Supercar G2 tires are stored indoors at temperatures above -7°C (20°F) when not in use. If the tires have been subjected to -7°C (20°F) or less, let them warm up in a heated space to at least 5°C (40°F) for 24 hours or more before being installed or driving a vehicle on which they are installed. Inflate the tires only after they have been warmed above 5°C (40°F). Do not place tires near heaters or heating devices used to warm the room where the tires are stored. Do not apply heat or blow heated air directly on the tires. Always inspect tires before use after being stored.

Customer Information
Please share this information with the customer, including a copy of this message.

It says don't drive them below 20 deg. No where do they say you can't drive below 40 deg. If the OP's garage is above 20 deg tomorrow morning go ahead and drive it. Just because it is 20 deg outside doesn't mean the tire temp will drop when you drive out. And tires warm up when you drive them too. Make sure the dealer keeps the car inside while they have it. Especially wed.

And this article is BS
http://www.torquenews.com/106/gm-hal...rdering-winter

They halt production of these cars every winter because the plant is in Canada. They don't want the ZL1 tires outside at the plant in the cold weather where they may crack if moved in the sub-zero temps there. Has nothing to do with the car being unsafe to drive. WTF does production date have to do with what a owner does after he receives it?

The most likely conditions that you might crack the tires is if you leave it outside in the bitter cold and then move it before the temp comes up. And it won't matter how far you drive. It would probably happen immediately. If you drive long enough to bring the temp up and they didn't crack your okay.

And here is a still newer bulletin that covers all GM's performance tire equipped cars.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf tire_cracksS.pdf (639.9 KB, 131 views)
Old 01-04-2015, 07:41 PM   #38
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

If the tires have been subjected to -7°C (20°F) or less, let them warm up in a heated space to at least 5°C (40°F) for 24 hours or more before being installed or driving a vehicle on which they are installed. Inflate the tires only after they have been warmed above 5°C (40°F).

It depends if it is stored in a heated garage or not.

They halt production of these cars every winter because the plant is in Canada. They don't want the ZL1 tires outside at the plant in the cold weather where they may crack if moved in the sub-zero temps there. Has nothing to do with the car being unsafe to drive. WTF does production date have to do with what a owner does after he receives it?

Because General Motors is concerned about the owners of the 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 1LE and ZL1 losing control of their muscle cars on cold roads, the automaker will suspend the ordering process for these two premium performance packages from November 21st through February 11th and production of those two models will likely be suspended for January, February and March 2014. - See more at: http://www.torquenews.com/106/gm-hal....MwHV4r4a.dpuf
Old 01-04-2015, 07:43 PM   #39
JacobC1983

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Well it looks like they changed the forecast and it is going to be 10 degrees in the morning when I need to take the car.

I will call and reschedule. Crud. Really wanted this done and out of the way.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:48 PM   #40
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Please note I've removed 43 posts and issued warnings for vulgar language and disrespectful postings.

Knock it off...

OP, the warnings are issued for cause. Take that for what it's worth...

CLOSED

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...

Closed Thread