Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-03-2014, 03:06 PM   #29
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
Got under neath and determined the axle is not hitting. I looked at the sway bar end links cause that's what it sounds like and they are tight and look fine. Therefore, I am lost. I am calling the dealer to make an appointment cause I have no clue what else could be doing it.
jayno20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:24 AM   #30
Slowp0ke

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I get a popping noise when I cut the wheel semi hard at a creeping speed to enter my back yard (uneven ground from pavement to grass)
Slowp0ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:03 AM   #31
WillR

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue ZL1
I'm definitely interested in what the dealership finds. I had mine up on a rack and didn't find anything loose. But still get the clunk when driving slowly over stair-stepped roads.
WillR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:21 AM   #32
Kevlar382

Drives: '12 ZL1; '71 RS/Z28; '99 Vette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
JacobC1983,

I realize how displeasing it can be when faced with a rear suspension concern like this, and though you're seeking thoughts and opinions, I would be happy to communicate this situation with the designated Customer Experience Manager at your preferred dealer if you feel an official diagnosis is necessary. Feel free to message us privately if you'd like to proceed, or discuss this situation further.

Kindly,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Are you kidding me? Have your motor taken apart by somebody who doesn't know what they are doing to fix the supercharger, bend and cut heat shields, change CV joints, and every other problem with these cars. It's no wonder we had to bail GM out, they have no idea what they are doing. At one time I thought you made the best cars, thank you for proving me wrong.
Kevlar382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #33
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Drives: Ashen 2013 Gray ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar382 View Post
Are you kidding me? Have your motor taken apart by somebody who doesn't know what they are doing to fix the supercharger, bend and cut heat shields, change CV joints, and every other problem with these cars. It's no wonder we had to bail GM out, they have no idea what they are doing. At one time I thought you made the best cars, thank you for proving me wrong.

I second this. The jokers at JN chevrolet in Hawaii have NO business touching these cars. The dumb mother Fudger who has been lookin gat my car has been nothing but useless and has only caused more headache and new problems + damage to my car. i am, justly, filing my lemon law claim with the state of Hawaii. 1 more than 45 days in service, 2 three attempts to fix my groaning differential, and it still groans and growls, 3 the five times I brought it in for the supercharger rattling, everytime it was worse and they kept saying it was normal. once, I brought it in for a whistling from the ac dash area, three days later, I pick it up - the sound is still there. When I go to complain, they say that they only fixed the heated seat...WTF. My heated seat was broken?? the list goes on an on, not even including all the paint damage I accrued during my cars lovely stay in GM dealership prison.
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp
NightmareZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:13 AM   #34
Samson2029

Drives: 328xi, ML400, ZL1 man. 2013
Get the car on a lift. Examine the cooling pipes of the rear differential. I found one segment millimetres away from the aluminum heat shield. I assumed that on my car, certain types of road bumps would make this piping vibrate 2 or 3 times against the shield. Ever since I bent this shield away from the piping, I no longer experience that noise.

I put photos in my profile. These camaros can make a lot of strange noises from the rear, I hope this fixes one of them.
Samson2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:16 PM   #35
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson2029 View Post
Get the car on a lift. Examine the cooling pipes of the rear differential. I found one segment millimetres away from the aluminum heat shield. I assumed that on my car, certain types of road bumps would make this piping vibrate 2 or 3 times against the shield. Ever since I bent this shield away from the piping, I no longer experience that noise.

I put photos in my profile. These camaros can make a lot of strange noises from the rear, I hope this fixes one of them.

I would hope the fix is that simple. I'll see what the dealer says tomorrow. What did yours sound like before you fixed it?
Old 09-09-2014, 04:34 PM   #36
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Took it to the dealer today. They said they need more time with it so I am dropping it off next week for them to continue their work, but they said early diagnosis is probably a blown strut.

I also found during my test drive that it does NOT make the noise over a normal bump, it ONLY does it if there is a hole in the road or a concave bump. It's weird.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:50 PM   #37
WillR

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue ZL1
I have noticed as well that the noise seems to appear when the suspension is dropping to the road, like you said in a hole or drop in the pavement. If the initial movement is up, then it does not seem to make the noise.

Keeping an eye on what your dealer finds. I had mine take a quick look when they were replacing the blower and everything seemed normal.
WillR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:27 PM   #38
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Could you guys be bottoming out the suspension and it hitting the bump stops?

End links are deceiving sometimes. I "thought" my front ones were tight and was getting a weird noise, actually had Back Street Performance help me isolate the noise, sure enough, the end links were ever so slightly loose, less than half a turn.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #39
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
Could you guys be bottoming out the suspension and it hitting the bump stops?

End links are deceiving sometimes. I "thought" my front ones were tight and was getting a weird noise, actually had Back Street Performance help me isolate the noise, sure enough, the end links were ever so slightly loose, less than half a turn.
It isn't happening when the shock compresses its when it opens up (over a hole, etc.)

I got under the car and checked the end links on the rear and they were both very tight. The dealer is thinking the strut might be bad... I only have 2500 miles on the car so if that's the case I am hoping I just got a bad one or something because it shouldn't be bad already otherwise.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:56 PM   #40
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayno20 View Post
It isn't happening when the shock compresses its when it opens up (over a hole, etc.)

I got under the car and checked the end links on the rear and they were both very tight. The dealer is thinking the strut might be bad... I only have 2500 miles on the car so if that's the case I am hoping I just got a bad one or something because it shouldn't be bad already otherwise.
When it opens huh? that's weird

as far as the end link, we had to put a wrench on it to realize it.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:26 PM   #41
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
When it opens huh? that's weird

as far as the end link, we had to put a wrench on it to realize it.
Yeah I did too. I put a lot of pressure on it to even get it to move. The stock ft lbs for them was like 30ish and I was easily putting way more than that into it.

I really thought it sounded like an end link so that's where I started.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:23 PM   #42
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Just got back from the dealer and they replaced the right rear strut. The noise seems to be gone so as far as my problem goes that's what was causing it. Might want to have the dealer look at your rear struts too.