The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance - break-in, fluids, parts, servicing, etc.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:41 AM   #15
fire chief

Drives: cyber gray 2lt
I just roll a towel up to keep the lid ajar and then use it to wipe the hand print off. I guess thats why they say to close it "smartly" cuz it doesn't work as advertised.
fire chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:13 PM   #16
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
mine doesnt work.. never asked dealer.. at like 5,500 miles now
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:19 AM   #17
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
A friend just picked up his convertible. He and I did a little comparing last night after our Corvette club meeting and I noticed his trunk took a lot more effort to close than my coupe's hatch ever did! After dropping the hatch I just a very light quick press down to complete the latching, but the convertible you really have to slam and still need to give it a sharp press down to latch. Part of is that the trunk lid it a lot lighter than a coupe hatch, and part from the fact the seal isn't broke in yet . But still, I was surprised at the difference in effort needed. I doubt the convertible trunks will ever close as easily as the coupe hatch without a much larger "magic metal" vent.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #18
Ret9580

Drives: '99 Sienna till '15 Ray is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnall40 View Post
Thanks for the tips! And now another subject, ... info that I received from GM rep Dan Garrett at the museum in October:
If you break a windshield, front or rear, it is a major operation to replace. They are glued in and bits and pieces remaining in the rubber seal have to be picked out one by one.
If the rear is broken, replacing the hatch assembly to which the glass is mounted may be the best option. If done of course it will have to be painted. Broken windshields are often hard to avoid ... Insurance Co's will go nuts when they hear about this.

Check out a ClearPlex installer (Windshield protector)
Ret9580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #19
Jerry U

Drives: C7, Z51, Manual Trans, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ4Life View Post
mine doesnt work.. never asked dealer.. at like 5,500 miles now

For what it’s worth, all cars appear to be different in regard to what it takes to close the hatch.
I’ve had my C7 since October and still must have a door open to have it close. Then it closes with very little force using the GM handhold. No matter how hard I try without the door open it does not latch. Tried from various heights and force.
I’ve checked the “memory wire” controlled vent and it’s working fine. You can see it with the license plate off thru the large hole behind the plate. Use a flashlight, look into the hole and press the trunk opening button above the plate.
Initially I tried to press with my hand but stopped when I saw the hatch bend! Recently someone with museum delivery reported they were told NOT to press in the center as some have reported paint cracking. From what I recall with the bending I saw, can understand that could a problem with some cars. They recommend using two hands on the raised areas on the edge of the window!
I’ve also tried adjusting the hatch stops. Even went as far as having the hatch misaligned-no help.
My solution remains keeping a door open. Not as bad as it sounds since I usually am only getting into the hatch when I either have opened the door to get out or am going to open the door to get in. Just plan your moves and do it the correct sequence!
Jerry U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #20
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
I have been gently pressing down in the center of the hatch, near the rear edge, almost every day since October 4. I have not seen any bending and no signs of paint cracking. I press down directly over the latch mechanism. I could see the possibility of the hatch flexing only if you press down near the corners - which would be silly to do since the latch is in the middle!

As with every latch on the car, there are 2 catch points. With my doors closed, I pull the hatch down, and the first catch engages. With the brief press down, the second engages with little to no trouble. Only on windy days do I sometimes need a firmer press or two. With 11000 miles in all weather conditions, I have not needed to do anything else. It amazes me to hear that some of you are having such trouble.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote