The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > C7 Ordering, Pricing, Order Tracking Discussions

Old 10-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #15
gthal

Drives: 2014 Z51 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
If the dealer has an allocation and does not use it, that allocation WILL be awarded to another dealer. It is not a matter of wasting an order that may not be built for some time in favor of using it to get something to sell sooner. An allocation can not be deferred.

Now once an allocation is used then accepted for production, that does not mean it will be built "sooner." Production is scheduled at the plant and I am only aware of general considerations as to what order is built first etc.

But my point: allocation is truly a use it or lose it proposition. And that loss is not just for the current model year; it resonates down through future model years for as long as that vehicle line continues.

Laborsmith
As much as I understand GM's need to keep production going (and respect that) it is a REAL disappointment to those who choose to order a highly optioned car and basically now lose that car because GM can only build base cars When my allocation gets picked up, if I can't get a Z51 car it will mean I don't buy a C7 which is NOT what I want to have happen.
1996 BMW M3 | Estoril blue | Track car | Heavily modded for the track but still street legal... barely
Previous: 2011 M3 coupe | Jerez black | Fox Red interior | Competition Package | M-DCT
gthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #16
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
As much as I understand GM's need to keep production going (and respect that) it is a REAL disappointment to those who choose to order a highly optioned car and basically now lose that car because GM can only build base cars When my allocation gets picked up, if I can't get a Z51 car it will mean I don't buy a C7 which is NOT what I want to have happen.
But GM (BG assembly plant) is also at the mercy to the vendors/suppliers they qualfiied & ultimately chose... the delay we're seeing is the ramifications. There's more to this I'm sure that we're not aware of, of course... like a tip of the iceberg. Maybe GM's due diligence on their selected vendors/suppliers were subpar (or half-azz), or maybe they just forecasted inaccurately in regards to the demand for Z51 package and CF related options. Who knows at this point but we're the ones who have no choice except to suck it up and vent/rant in public... I won't lose sleep over it, just wait it out.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #17
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
These parameters are the result of court suits and are designed to withstand litigation while conforming to franchise laws, of which there must be 50 because each state has their own. They may not apply to Canada and only your dealer would know.

But for most of us, it comes down to this: does GM twist the procedures that are known to be legally defendable or lose a customer. These allocation court suits are not simple million dollar lawsuits and a loss there would likely wipe out the anticipated profit for the whole C7 model year. At the minimum.

Any late orderer, and I count a Corvette August order as late, will need to take these parameters into consideration. For example, when there are more Z51 allocations available, does one place their order with a dealer that might get one allocation a month or with a dealer that gets 100 a month? If the constraint is 50% the odds of the former getting a Z51 thru are minimal and for the latter are excellent. I have seen an option constrained to as little as one nationwide.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #18
Ka Razy

gthal, I feel your pain...

Been sitting at 1100 for months because I loaded my C7 with everything BUT auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post

06-28-13 Status 1100
11-22-13 Status 2000
11-29-13 Status 3000
12-12-13 Status 3300
12-16-13 Status 3400
01-06-14 Status 3800!!
01-10-14 Status 4B00
01-13-14 Status 4200!!!
02-17-14 Delivered!!!!!!!!!!
Ka Razy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #19
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
These parameters are the result of court suits and are designed to withstand litigation while conforming to franchise laws, of which there must be 50 because each state has their own. They may not apply to Canada and only your dealer would know.

But for most of us, it comes down to this: does GM twist the procedures that are known to be legally defendable or lose a customer. These allocation court suits are not simple million dollar lawsuits and a loss there would likely wipe out the anticipated profit for the whole C7 model year. At the minimum.

Any late orderer, and I count a Corvette August order as late, will need to take these parameters into consideration. For example, when there are more Z51 allocations available, does one place their order with a dealer that might get one allocation a month or with a dealer that gets 100 a month? If the constraint is 50% the odds of the former getting a Z51 thru are minimal and for the latter are excellent. I have seen an option constrained to as little as one nationwide.

Laborsmith
Amen - the days of the 50/60's where the mfrs gave out cars on who they liked were brought to a grinding halt in the late 70's by a suit against American Honda and it's executives. Millions of dollars of fines were levied against Honda and James Cardiges, the VP of sales went to jail. After that all companies went to strict formulas on who gets cars based on their prior sales - known as "turn and earn". Then the state legislatures got involved with the franchise laws and made what a mfr can "tell a dealer what to do" even harder. The reps no longer hand out the cars, it's all automated and formula.

if you can ever find it read "Arrogance and Accords" - the story of the Honda auto scandal....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #20
laborsmith

The Honda case is the most famous. Chevrolet had their own court suit close on the heels of Honda's but I believe it was settled before trial. Several regional business center managers took demotions and I suspect the dealers alleging misdoing were made whole their possible losses. As far as I know the settlement was/is sealed but someone closer to that case may be able to share more information.

Laborsmith
Old 11-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #21
Richardlord

Drives: Dodge Magnum RT Hemi AWD
I twice emailed Chevy for order status on my Vert Z51 3LT stuck at 1100. The first Chevy response said my dealer placed my order, GM accepted my order, and the next step was for GM to set a Target Production Week. The second response said my order was subject to constraints relative to dealer allocation. As it is a highly optioned car with everything accept auto trans and competition seats, I expect I have a greater likelihood of running into constraints due to demand and supply issues, and given the allocation factor you noted, I could be in for a long wait. I expect I shall not see this car until the end of December at the earliest, and more likely the end or winter or early spring. It would not surprise me if this becomes a 2015 model. I was the first Vert order by my dealer way- back-when, but given constraints and allocation issues, the reality is that someone who ordered behind me may jump ahead of me if Chevy and my dealer can fill that order and not mine. Correct me if I am wrong, but when it comes to the C7, first-come may not be first-served for those who order a sit-down C7 course meal rather than C7 take-out.

Last edited by Richardlord; 11-21-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Richardlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #22
laborsmith

You are not wrong.

Laborsmith
Old 11-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #23
Track

Drives: Z51 Corvette Convertible
As I understand it there are two things in this world. One is a dealer is promised an allocation and another is the allocation actually arriving at the dealers computer where the process begins and a car will be built. My small dealer was promised one vert allocation and four hard tops. The hard tops were all built and have arrived at the dealer. My lonely vert, which I put a deposit on in July, is still waiting for the allocation to be finalized at the dealer. Meanwhile when this Z51 thing came up I contacted one of the top Corvette dealers in the country and put another refundable deposit down. Whomever can come up with a Z51 option wins my money. Both deposits are refundable so I am just waiting as I have since early July. Like a lot of you- no Z51 then no car if I have wait forever.
Track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #24
Betsy Iris
(The Blue Beauty)

Drives: 2014 Stingray
Well I was number 14 on the list at my dealership. . . I checked around and that was the best I could find . . . I ordered Aug 23 and received my car Oct 24. . . I told the dealership I would walk if I didn't receive it by December, but I definitely didn't expect to get it in October, especially with the z51 on hold. . .If anyone wants to try the dealership I went with, it's Lonestar Chevrolet in Houston. . .They might have some spots open. . .
Betsy Iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #25
Richardlord

Drives: Dodge Magnum RT Hemi AWD
Contacted Chevy and got his reply. My C7 is a 3LT Z51 Vert with PE, MSR, and carbon everything inside and out with other options that MSRPs north of $75G, and so it appears I have a long wait. Maybe late winter early spring, 2015, or a 2015/16 Z07 Vert.

"I called our order fulfillment department to check on your vehicle order status. According to them, GM has already picked up the order; however, there is no target production week yet, also, it is still at 1100."

Can anyone interpret what this really means?
Richardlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:42 AM   #26
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
yeah, it means your dealer cannot submit the order becasue he does not have an slot given to him by Chevrolet.

It's as if you have set a package outside your door for pickup. But the truck has not come by to pick it up yet. Chev does not know you at all.... yet. Read the ordering threads here to see the way it works...
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #27
GB EB

Drives: 2014 Stingray 2LT/Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardlord View Post
Contacted Chevy and got his reply. My C7 is a 3LT Z51 Vert with PE, MSR, and carbon everything inside and out with other options that MSRPs north of $75G, and so it appears I have a long wait. Maybe late winter early spring, 2015, or a 2015/16 Z07 Vert.

"I called our order fulfillment department to check on your vehicle order status. According to them, GM has already picked up the order; however, there is no target production week yet, also, it is still at 1100."

Can anyone interpret what this really means?

I may be wrong... I have been before... but I'm pretty sure if GM has accepted the order you are at 2000.
I have found that some of those Chevy customer service folks don't know or understand status codes... they only know the verbage that they are told about your order.

*TROPHY RECIPIENT - GREATEST SHOW ON TURF 9/11/11*
*1ST PLACE MODERN MUSCLE - CORONADO SPEED FESTIVAL 9/23/11*
*AWARD OF EXCELLENCE - GOOD GUYS DEL MAR FALL NATIONALS 11/27/11*
*1ST PLACE / '82&UP CAMARO/FIREBIRD- FORT WALTON BEACH FF SHOW 2/16/13*
BUILD THREAD: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120353
GB EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #28
laborsmith

A dealer can check status changes in real time for ther own orders whle the central server lags by one or more days. Also, there could be a semantic disconnect regarding terms such as "accepted" and "picked-up."

I suspect in time the customer care people will get a handle on the process. The difficulty is this is a process where exceptions are the rule. Add in that far fewer non-Camaro and non-Corvette Chevy cars are retail sale orders and the customer care people are answering all kinds of non ordering questions, it is easy for me to see why there is a learning curve.

Not an direct answer, I realize. And, I do not have one.

Laborsmith