The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 11-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
Richardlord

Drives: Dodge Magnum RT Hemi AWD
C7 Cold Weather Tires

Read C7 tires are dangerous in temps below 40 - Hate not to be able to drive in late fall, winter, and early spring - Most of us shall have our C7 orders filled this fall, winter, or spring; and then what, not drive them due to unsafe tires where cold weather affects most of us even in more southern climes. After all, at times it does get cold in Florida and Texas. Maybe buy a second set of tires and rims suitable for cold weather. Is there such a thing as a cold weather performance tire for a Z51 C7 (hate to call it a "snow tire" for a C7 as it just plain sounds wrong)? If so, what are the recs out there?

Heard that Michelin makes an all-weather tire, and some have recommended the Pilot Sport All Season or Pilot Alpin PA4. However, went to the Michelin website and put in the C7 Z51 info, and the response from Michelin was that it does not have a winter tire for a C7 Z51. Advice?

Last edited by Richardlord; 11-25-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Richardlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
Col T

Drives: C-6 coupe / C7 Z51 coupe on order
Smile

That's what my Michelin dealer said yesterday as I was putting new sneakers on the family sedan. Says the factory tires on the C7 Z51 "have no traction" below 40 degrees and that Michelin's all season etc. are not available for the 20" wheels we have on the back of our ride. I keep hoping to get mine before Christmas, but maybe the folks in Bowling Green are being nice to me by making me wait until Spring to deliver it!
Col T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:24 AM   #3
CruznCorvette

Drives: 2014 C7
You can get these for the Non Z51 sizes (18, 19 inch tires). Check and see if they have the larger size.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....dClar=Stingray

CruznCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
Richardlord

Looks like a no for Z51 all weather tires. Disappointed that Chevy did not have Michelin develop an all weather tire for the C7 and Z51. That restricts C7 Z51 driving to weather above 40 for those in the know and willing to not drive in cold weather. I see lots of accidents ahead based on the scary reports out there.

Other forums report all weather tires for the Z51. There is an appreciable drop-off in performance. Some suggest going with smaller rims and tires. Then what's the point of having the Z51 package if one can only use the top performance tires seasonally and for some short seasons at that. Feel Chevy let us down on Z51 tire options. Realize there shall be a drop in peformance of all weather tires, but if Chevy/Michelin go to all the trouble to develop a high performance Z51 tire, one would think they also would develop the best possible performance Z51 all weather tire. Maybe that is coming. So, for now it appears all the alternatives are bad from accidents, not driving in cold weather, make-shift low performcnae all weather tires, or smaller rims and tires. Very disappointing.

Last edited by Richardlord; 11-26-2013 at 06:28 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:20 AM   #5
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
You are incorrect that there is no all-season tire for the Stingray. Michelin just came out with the Pilot Sport A/S 3 in sizes for both the base and Z51. These were developed specifically with the Stingray in mind and are available now from several sources including Tire Rack. I ordered a set yesterday for my Z51 and will have them on the car next week.

If the Michelins don't interest you, TIre Rack also has a couple other brands including Pirelli all-season tires un the Stingray sizes. What they don't have is a studdable snow tire! But how many people will drive their Stingray in snow?
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
Richardlord

Michelin says it does not have a winter tire for the Z51

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...1%20Pkg./tires#

Click on

"Show Winter Tires"

Also, go to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, click on "Fits My Vehicle," and the response is

"Unfortunately, this tire line does not meet your vehicle's specifications."

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...3/tire-details

Last edited by Richardlord; 11-27-2013 at 05:33 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
purpleRac3r

In part, I think you're getting a couple of terms mixed up. "Winter" tires are the same as snow tires, and are designed specifically for driving in snow and slush. They usually have a significantly larger quantity of sipes (grooves or slots) in the tread pattern and often can be studded. Tire Rack does lists one brand in Stingray Z51 sizes, the Pirelli Sottozero, IN STOCK (new just in the past couple of days!).

On the other hand, "all-season" tires are designed to be driven in all conditions relatively well. They don't have quite the traction in snow that winter or snow tires have, but will be far superior to any summer-only tire. They won't have quite the ultimate grip the summer tires have, but you can drive them year round with no worries. Tire Rack lists the following all-season tires in Stingray Z51sizes, IN STOCK:

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Performance All Season
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Performance All Season - these are the ones I have on order, and they have shipped as of yesterday

I wouldn't take the fact that a search on Michelin's website didn't turn up a result as the end-all answer. My Stingray was built before Chevrolet's website had their "build your own" up and running or pricing listed. I've ordered numerous parts over the years before they've shown up on manufacturers' websites. A number of websites in the aftermarket still don't even list 2014 models of any car, yet we all know the '14s are indeed out there on every new car lot. In this case, I have no doubt these tires are available for the Stingray.

Maybe you inadvertently entered the wrong tire sizes?
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

Old 11-28-2013, 12:25 AM   #8
killascrimp

Drives: 14 z51
There are good "all season" out there Good year has one that's not going to break the bank.
killascrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #9
Richardlord

Michelin, the official Chevy tire for the C7, clearly states on its website it only has a summer tire for the Z51. See the Michelin links in my previous post. I am sure we can cobble together cold weather tires from Michelin or someone else for our Z51s, and I probably shall rather than not drive in the winter, but there are risks. The first being we shall be driving on tires not recommended or approved by Chevy. WE ARE taking a risk to our safety and others in doing so. The second inherent risk is that if we have an accident, and the tires area at fault, it shall not be a manufacturer problem, it shall be on us. And, our insurance companies shall not be unhappy with us, to the point of not paying claims, for damage to our cars and our injuries as well as to others. Just sayin'
Old 11-28-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
purpleRac3r

I agree with you 100% on the safety issue, and have convinced my dealer to make other Stingray purchasers aware of it, as several plan to drive theirs daily like I do. That is why I have already ordered my all-season tires, and will have them on the car early next week.

Yes, I see that the Michelin website does not list any all-season tires in the Stingray sizes. It is very common in the automotive world to get product out and THEN update advertising material such as websites. Our Stingray is a prime example: people have been taking delivery and driving them for two months prior to the availability of the dealer brochures! So, just because Michelin's website doesn't yet list all-season tires for the Stingray it doesn't mean they don't exist. It just means that in the corporate world, website updating is a bit behind the curve.

Below is a screen shot I took just 20 minutes ago of Tire Racks list of tires for the Z51 sizes. It clearely shows Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 as available in both required sizes., along with two other all-season tires and even one snow tire -all of which are available. I've dealt with Tire Rack many times over the years, and they have not been misleading yet. If they list a tire as available, they have them in stock.

I'm not trying to put anyone down, and I hope you don't take any if this the wrong way. My goal here is to help everyone enjoy their Stingrays safely throughout the winter season. This is all the result of hours of research over the past few weeks, and I simply wish to share my findings. I will happily post photos of the new tires next week once they are on the car. And I will happily admit my error if that should be the case.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
hotwheels65

Drives: 2014 Limerock Green Z51
Here are a couple of links to information about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 tires that are available for both the standard and Z51 C7.

http://www.michelinman.com/mediabin/...t_Guide_HR.pdf

http://michelinmedia.com/news/michel...ort-as-3-tire/

Hope this helps.
hotwheels65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #12
Richardlord

As I said, I shall find and use the best cold weather tire I can find that fits a Z51, probably the Michelin, but I still have grave concerns - Getting mixed messages from Michelin and no official word from Chevy is not helpful - I shall contact Chevy and see what it endorses if it is willing to do so - The fact the Chevy releases the C7 in the fall and winter with summer tires and no explicit warning and not officially offering or endorsing an alternative is a significant problem bordering on negligence - Dealers don't seem to be filling the void of information, warnings, and alternatives.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #13
purpleRac3r

Actually, Chevrolet does have an explicit warning about not driving the summer tires in temps below 40 degrees F. Its in the owner's manual on page 10-46. Dealer salespersons may or may not be aware of the limitation, or may not be telling everyone, but Chevrolet is. Also, Chevrolet did announce way back early in the year, before the cars even started to be built, that Michelin was developing an all-season tire for the Corvette, which turns out to be the Pilot Sport A/S 3. Chevrolet has done their part, just not necessarily all of the independently-owned and operated dealerships.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #14
Richardlord

Yes, Chevy provides a warning in the owner manual about the summer tires. However, releasing the C7 in cold weather with summer tires and not offering as an option or officially endorsing a cold weather tire is just plain wrong. Chevy and Michelin still have not officially announced or endorsed a cold weather tire for the C7. Until they do, we still are in safety and legal limbo. That has and shall leave us wondering and scrambling to properly outfit our C7s with cold weather tires. Some of us are aware of the summer/cold weather tire issue, others are not. Dealers may or may not be helpful. We are beginning to see more and more web stories of surprised and frightened drives over real time near misses of driving summer tires in cold weather conditions. I hope Chevy moves on this soon before we hear and read of real disasters, and who knows how many there have been due to tires. We have seen some crashes, and what of these were tire related. No, Chevy has not sufficiently done its part. Why has it not offered a cold weather tire option or officially endorsed one? Very poor corporate sense of conscientious safety responsibility to customers.