Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-30-2021, 06:29 AM   #29
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post
You get a reply all your own:

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: No. You’re entitled to your opinion, but this was not remotely like those d bag videos on the 5 things I hate about Camaro’s. I love this car but it has its shortcomings. I bought it in one of the coldest, snowiest stretches of this past Winter which was for getting a deal on a convertible, but not so good for test drives. It sat in the showroom and I didn’t get to drive it until a month after I bought it because of the cold and snow conditions. It took owning it, driving it, and trying to do the things I enjoy doing in the SUMMER to discover the conflicts one by one. So, I didn’t “know” all this going in. Ass.
So you bought the car having no idea if it would fit this stuff.....ok.
Old 05-30-2021, 06:29 AM   #30
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Well Big L, you post a thread like you did and you can expect to get positive and negative replies. That’s the nature of this forum you know and not everyone will reply favorably to your posting. As I replied before that I have the same problem but I deal with it. It’s not as bad in a coupe if you let the rear seat back down but I know the convertible doesn’t have as much room in the trunk.��
Quote:
You get a reply all your own:

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: No. You’re entitled to your opinion, but this was not remotely like those d bag videos on the 5 things I hate about Camaro’s. I love this car but it has its shortcomings. I bought it in one of the coldest, snowiest stretches of this past Winter which was for getting a deal on a convertible, but not so good for test drives. It sat in the showroom and I didn’t get to drive it until a month after I bought it because of the cold and snow conditions. It took owning it, driving it, and trying to do the things I enjoy doing in the SUMMER to discover the conflicts one by one. So, I didn’t “know” all this going in. Ass.
Did you not put the top down in the showroom? That would of immediately shown you that there ain’t much space in the trunk when the top is down. Heck, I figured that out pretty quick the first time I saw a 6th gen convertible at an auto show. It’s why I eliminated the vert from consideration and went with a coupe.

As far as the cup holders and shifter, I owned three previous 5th gen Camaros. Two of them manuals. I knew going in that shifting gears with cups in the holders was a pain.

My biggest complaint with the 6th gen Camaro is the back seat is pretty much useless. It wasn’t great in the 5th gens but at least an adult could fit in the back seat on short trips. And they didn’t have to climb over a damn seat belt to get in. Besides price, I think one of the biggest reasons the 6th gen Camaro hasn’t sold well is because it’s essentially a two seat car. That eliminates a big portion of the market.
Old 05-30-2021, 07:36 AM   #31
JacobC1983

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
I hear you and your rationale is correct, but for me the issue is two-fold. 1st, I enjoy going everywhere in this car, rowing the gears with the top down. Obviously I can’t haul 30 bags of mulch, but I’ve always gone everywhere (including the range) and run every errand in my “summer car”. The other factor is my “winter” dd suv is up on a lift during the Summer and the Camaro goes under it. I can swap them, but it’s a mild PITA.

I can understand that, our cars are all accessible all the time, just have to click the right garage door button.

I will say I have never had a perfectly useable daily driver sports car before, but lots of my hobbies require kayaks, mountain bikes, fishing, skeet shooting and house things that are perfect with a pick-up truck. And all of my sports car stuff includes autocross and track days which are perfect for a camaro with a back seat for some luggage and a trunk for a cooler and track essentials.

I have a feeling your next sports car is going to suffer from something less than ideal also and your best bet may be to make the second vehicle easier to access than the lift. Long winded way of saying there is no perfect single vehicle.

all the best to you.
JacobC1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 07:49 AM   #32
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Golf bag hack... not sure what bag you have, but what I do is take my drivers and 3 wood out and lay them on floor, then put the bag across the back seat.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 08:43 AM   #33
Big Lebowski

Drives: 022 C8 Z51 Red Mist HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Well Big L, you post a thread like you did and you can expect to get positive and negative replies. That’s the nature of this forum you know and not everyone will reply favorably to your posting. As I replied before that I have the same problem but I deal with it. It’s not as bad in a coupe if you let the rear seat back down but I know the convertible doesn’t have as much room in the trunk.��
Good point. I may have been a little hangry when I posted that. My bad.
Old 05-30-2021, 08:57 AM   #34
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
I can 100% see what happened (and fully understand). It’s cold as hell, snowy and Covid is raging. Everyone needs something to look forward to when all the BS blows over. For the OP, in comes a slick and fast M6 Vert, just what the doctor ordered. Sometimes you overlook small things when you get excited, it happens. Now he has second thoughts... I don’t see it as a big deal. Lesson learned, I wish him luck with his next move.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:14 AM   #35
Big Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Golf bag hack... not sure what bag you have, but what I do is take my drivers and 3 wood out and lay them on floor, then put the bag across the back seat.
That is actually a great idea. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2021, 10:19 PM   #36
dbs1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I think it's a classic case of...you have too much.

I'm the same. The more I have, the more I want.

I shoot 1000+yard targets and where I have to go for that, my ZL1 ain't making the ride.

400hp taco does though.
dbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:56 AM   #37
Snowwolfe

Drives: CTV5 V Blackwing on order
Why not break down your shotguns and use shorter cases? It takes less than a minute to put them back together.
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 07:07 AM   #38
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I’m a bass player. My basses are as long as most shotguns. Here’s how I pack my Vert for gigs. Everything in the first picture fits, with room for a groupie, ummm...I mean passenger.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 08:09 AM   #39
Big Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
Why not break down your shotguns and use shorter cases? It takes less than a minute to put them back together.
Good point. One of them already is broken down, but you are correct it doesn’t take long to break down and reassemble and that’s not a bad idea fro my second one. The issue is getting them, a range bag and shooting vest in the trunk which isn’t happening...but forget bringing a friend (which I used to be able to do in the Vette).

The key is, I enjoy putting the top down to and from my gun club. It’s a nice 40 minute drive with a mix of highway and twisty country roads. The range bag would do ok in the back seat, but I’m not comfortable with the gun cases being visible or exposed while driving with the top down.

Golf clubs aren’t getting in the trunk with the top down, period. I’m going out today and I’ve accepted they will be riding shotgun.

It is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I’m a bass player. My basses are as long as most shotguns. Here’s how I pack my Vert for gigs. Everything in the first picture fits, with room for a groupie, ummm...I mean passenger.
Ha ha, Awesome! Gorgeous car.

You are correct, a lot can be stowed in the back seat but as I said above, the key is I enjoy driving to the range with the top down and I’m not comfortable with the gun cases being visible / exposed here in the people’s republic of Illinois. If I left the top up, I could make it work...but that’s not why I have a convertible.

Yes, I want to have my cake and eat it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
I think it's a classic case of...you have too much.

I'm the same. The more I have, the more I want.

I shoot 1000+yard targets and where I have to go for that, my ZL1 ain't making the ride.

400hp taco does though.
That is some serious shooting. My wife has a JL Rubicon but she gets cranky if I borrow it.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:00 PM   #40
dbs1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I've been out to 1200 yards with my .270 wsm and the AR .224 Valkyrie.

They both have custom turrets on the scopes. 270 is good to 1250. Valkyrie around 1375.

No wind is a must as anything over 5-7mph wreaks havoc on my simple shooting.
dbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 03:44 PM   #41
Big Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
I've been out to 1200 yards with my .270 wsm and the AR .224 Valkyrie.

They both have custom turrets on the scopes. 270 is good to 1250. Valkyrie around 1375.

No wind is a must as anything over 5-7mph wreaks havoc on my simple shooting.
Well its not like you're having to compensating for the curvature of the earth or changes in air temperature over the trajectory!

Just kidding, that is some crazy impressive shooting.

My neighbor is a former Marine sniper (though he says always a Marine). He's got range / training stories that blows my mind. He doesn't go into active duty stuff.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:50 PM   #42
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
The cupholder situation is hardly unique to the Camaro. My RX-8 was worse when it came to that. It basically makes the front slot unusable.

It's actually hilarious that some of the manual family cars I had, like the 08 Accord Sedan and 99 Corolla practice car, didn't have this issue, and those are the cars where the manual take rate is like 5%, if that.

The trunk opening annoys me a bit but space isn't too bad. I carried like 20 pounds of spot prawns in the trunk in buckets and that worked fine. Also went on some casual fishing trips and the fishing rods fit. Mine is a coupe, though, and with convertibles, that's probably gonna be a problem with the top down, especially given that I have a bag in my trunk with things like jumper cables, wheel chocks, etc.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote