#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-28-2021, 09:05 PM   #15
Big Lebowski

Drives: 022 C8 Z51 Red Mist HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
I did number 3 without the “sell it” part. I’m truly the blessed to be able to own both a ZL1 m6 coupe and an C8 HTC.

The C8 HTC is a marvelous car. Being able to put the top down and up with the flick of a button and still maintain all the car’s storage space is truly magical.

I’ve seen enough Chevy small block engines. Not seeing one in my C8 is no big deal.

If you’re a diehard manual fan, the toughest thing you will have to grapple with is the dual clutch transmission. After 3 months of ownership, I’m still coming to grips with DCT in my Corvette. And no one is going to tell me shifting with paddles is anywhere close to pushing in a clutch pedal and grabbing a shift knob on the console.
Lucky man! I wouldn’t say I’m a “diehard” manual fan, but I do prefer them. I haven’t driven the C8 DCT, but while I expect it to be impressive, I have no illusions that the paddles will not replace the engagement of a manual transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
Vert was your only mistake.

Ours has paddles & a slap shifter combined. Love manuals, but check & mate.
Ha ha. No mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Well there is no plan for a manual in the C8 at this point in time but we never know what GM will do in the future. I’m sure though if they planned a manual it would have been offered. I feel you pain though as I’m a shotgun and rifle shooter too and know what you are talking about. The 2010 2SS I had space enough in the trunk for my hard gun cases when I did go to the Skeet range and rifle range too.
Tadge has made it abundantly clear there will not be a manual trans in the C8. I’ve sat in several C8’s and the ergonomics don’t work for a manual in that interior. It’s DCT or bust and considering another shutdown is planned starting next week due to a DCT supplier shortage, GM might be wishing they had a manual option.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:25 PM   #16
Tarbender62

Drives: 2018 2SS Vert
I had the same issues when I bought my 2018 2SS Vert, storage sucks in the trunk. I ended-up getting a small trailer hitch installed and I pull a small Spyder trailer when I do long trips, luggage etc in the trailer and makes travelling much better (long distance). That might be an option for you, the hitch is hidden quite well and you treat it as a detachable trunk.
Tarbender62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:43 PM   #17
donaldp

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post
To be honest, I think I love my Shadow Grey Metallic ZL1 Convertible more than the day I bought it. I usually buy bright color cars, but fell in love with this one when I saw it on the showroom floor. It a little (actually a lot) harder to keep clean, but DAMN does it look amazing when clean. I rarely see other ZL1’s and I have never seen another convertible, and of course it is an absolute blast to drive.

BUT...

The lack of practical storage / cargo space is beginning to wear on me. Morning coffee? Nope, the cup holders are in direct line with the manual gear shift and I’ve given up on that. I have oversized Oakley prescription sunglasses, and I don’t have anywhere to put the case. 1st world problems, I know.

I shoot skeet and trap, and have long gun cases that I carry to my club that will NOT fit in the tiny ass trunk (with the top down). I can fit them in the backseat awkwardly, but I don’t like the idea of driving around with gun cases visible with the top down.

I’ve also gotten back into golfing, and I did so thinking I could fit them in the back seat...nope. The ONLY way I can get my clubs in, is in the passenger seat.

I realize it’s an impractical sports car but it’s crazy to think that my C7 Z06 Corvette had more usable storage / cargo space than my comparatively larger ZL1. As much fun as it is to drive, I find myself making excuses for it shortcomings. For now, I’m enjoying the ride, but this one may not be with me for long.
These types of posts make me scratch my head.... just like the videos that are about the five things I hate about my Camaro..... You knew all of this going in and now it's an issue...
donaldp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 06:25 AM   #18
JacobC1983

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Don't you have a secondary vehicle to take sometimes to offset the negatives? Like I never take my ZL1 to the range/skeet shooting. I always take my truck; I like having a tailgate to get things together etc.

The truth is my hard top ZL1 isn't perfect either for a daily driver, sometimes its nice to get into my big lazy truck too, but it has negatives also... so I get in my ZL1. Together they are almost perfect compliments of each other.

Last edited by JacobC1983; 05-29-2021 at 06:37 AM.
JacobC1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:35 AM   #19
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I agree JacobC. That’s what I do too.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:40 AM   #20
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Like he said, he’s making excuses for its shortcomings (rationalizing) Makes perfect sense to me, I do it all the time. If he can get a C8, or something else that can accommodate summer hobbies, why wouldn’t he go that route? Swapping between cars / planning which one you’ll be taking is a practical idea, but it’s not much fun if you want to be spur of the moment. I have the same car and when I look at the back seat, I’d say it could fit a set of clubs.. but I’ve never tried it. From his post, they don’t, and that’s a bit absurd.

I love my car for what it is, but if I wanted something with a drop top and some semblance of secure storage, it wouldn’t be a Camaro Convertible. Excellent looks and performance, but poor ergonomic design.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:58 AM   #21
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
There are very few convertible sports cars that can hold a set of golf clubs anywhere but the passenger seat. Nothing wrong with trying something, and if you don't like it, switching to something else. If the OP got spoiled by the vette, then perhaps it's the car for him.

Sounds to me like a C8 or going back to the C7Z might be worthwhile. Why suffer rationalizing if you got the coin?
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:41 AM   #22
JonDaddy82

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe NFG M6
Well I don't see a 911 Cabrio holding clubs or guns worth a damn either, and since it's German I'm sure the cupholders are trash if that makes you feel any better.
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 06:19 PM   #23
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
This thread is great. I came from a Gen II Viper GTS. Try getting any shotgun in the back of one of those LOL. These cars have tons of space
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:03 PM   #24
Big Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldp View Post
These types of posts make me scratch my head.... just like the videos that are about the five things I hate about my Camaro..... You knew all of this going in and now it's an issue...
You get a reply all your own:

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: No. You’re entitled to your opinion, but this was not remotely like those d bag videos on the 5 things I hate about Camaro’s. I love this car but it has its shortcomings. I bought it in one of the coldest, snowiest stretches of this past Winter which was for getting a deal on a convertible, but not so good for test drives. It sat in the showroom and I didn’t get to drive it until a month after I bought it because of the cold and snow conditions. It took owning it, driving it, and trying to do the things I enjoy doing in the SUMMER to discover the conflicts one by one. So, I didn’t “know” all this going in. Ass.
Old 05-29-2021, 11:14 PM   #25
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post
You get a reply all your own:

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: No. You’re entitled to your opinion, but this was not remotely like those d bag videos on the 5 things I hate about Camaro’s. I love this car but it has its shortcomings. I bought it in one of the coldest, snowiest stretches of this past Winter which was for getting a deal on a convertible, but not so good for test drives. It sat in the showroom and I didn’t get to drive it until a month after I bought it because of the cold and snow conditions. It took owning it, driving it, and trying to do the things I enjoy doing in the SUMMER to discover the conflicts one by one. So, I didn’t “know” all this going in. Ass.

If hes entitled to his own opinion why call him an ass? Why even call names period?

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:18 PM   #26
Big Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobC1983 View Post
Don't you have a secondary vehicle to take sometimes to offset the negatives? Like I never take my ZL1 to the range/skeet shooting. I always take my truck; I like having a tailgate to get things together etc.

The truth is my hard top ZL1 isn't perfect either for a daily driver, sometimes its nice to get into my big lazy truck too, but it has negatives also... so I get in my ZL1. Together they are almost perfect compliments of each other.
I hear you and your rationale is correct, but for me the issue is two-fold. 1st, I enjoy going everywhere in this car, rowing the gears with the top down. Obviously I can’t haul 30 bags of mulch, but I’ve always gone everywhere (including the range) and run every errand in my “summer car”. The other factor is my “winter” dd suv is up on a lift during the Summer and the Camaro goes under it. I can swap them, but it’s a mild PITA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Like he said, he’s making excuses for its shortcomings (rationalizing) Makes perfect sense to me, I do it all the time. If he can get a C8, or something else that can accommodate summer hobbies, why wouldn’t he go that route? Swapping between cars / planning which one you’ll be taking is a practical idea, but it’s not much fun if you want to be spur of the moment. I have the same car and when I look at the back seat, I’d say it could fit a set of clubs.. but I’ve never tried it. From his post, they don’t, and that’s a bit absurd.

I love my car for what it is, but if I wanted something with a drop top and some semblance of secure storage, it wouldn’t be a Camaro Convertible. Excellent looks and performance, but poor ergonomic design.
Yep. Agree.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2021, 11:26 PM   #27
Big Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
If hes entitled to his own opinion why call him an ass? Why even call names period?
Seriously?

He took the time to post a reply with no contributing content other to compare my observations of my Camaro to those dumb click-bait YouTube videos by aspiring Millennial influencers.

He called it like he saw and so did I.
Old 05-30-2021, 12:51 AM   #28
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Well Big L, you post a thread like you did and you can expect to get positive and negative replies. That’s the nature of this forum you know and not everyone will reply favorably to your posting. As I replied before that I have the same problem but I deal with it. It’s not as bad in a coupe if you let the rear seat back down but I know the convertible doesn’t have as much room in the trunk.��