#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-17-2019, 08:46 AM   #1
designatedrhythm

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL
Which One to Get?

Hello Gang,

First post, long time lurker. I need help deciding on which Camaro will best fit my life/needs/budget.

A little Backstory: I've been driving the same Economy car for the last 8 years and I'm ready for something fun. I have lusted after owning a Camaro every since the Transformer movies (movies kinda suck but the cars are cool!)

My wife and I have been married for 12 years now, we have one kid who is nine and own our house. We own a 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL that can seat up to 7 so I have a practical vehicle that the wife will drive and we can do the family thing in. I will be daily driving the Camaro about 20 miles a day (total), hitting some back roads/twisties on my days off ect. I live in NC.

Financially I am in the position where I could comfortably spend up to 40-45k but i'm sort of torn because I'm also trying to invest and build up my nest egg over the next 5 years. Trying to keep the payment under 500 with limited down to keep funds in investments.

I'm leaning towards either a 2ss (I really want heated and cooled seats/updated sound system if possible) a 1ss 1le or a v6/v4 1le. The look and updated suspension of the 1le really piques my interest but i'm worried it may be overkill for the street. The cheaper entry cost of the v6 1le is enticing as i've seen fully loaded examples for around 30k.

I've never driven a manual car before (wife has) but I used to ride motorcycles (wife doesn't want me to anymore which is why i'm moving into a sports car, compromise!) so I get the clutch shifting concept and I feel like I would really enjoy the engagement of the manual which is another reason why the 1le really tickles my fancy.

Sorry for the long winded post, any feedback would be great!
designatedrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:01 AM   #2
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
You can get the heated/vented (not cooled) seats with any engine. I suggest you spend some seat time in a variety of models and find the price/performance combination that makes you happy. A low mileage used Camaro might offer you better value if you can find one and are willing to go that way.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:06 AM   #3
JacobC1983

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Reading your post and coming from a 2018 1SS 1LE (with no bells and whistles and the 6 speed) and now owning a 2019 ZL1 with the 10 speed and all the bells and whistles...

I would say your perfect car would be a 2SS with the 10 speed.

Fast, fun, easy to drive in traffic, bells and whistles for long hauls since it is your daily driver and the 10 speed with paddles is a blast. I would highly recommend finding one with the mag ride.

The manual was fun, but I don't miss it and definitely would choose the 10 speed over it as a daily driver.
JacobC1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:54 AM   #4
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
go test drive some cars. the 1LE is a car unto itself. i love mine. not a dd and i do not enjoy options, i simply enjoy driving.

the 1LE requires more expensive tires and brakes, that’s about it. worth it over a basic b ss car? no eye deer, i’ve never owned one.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:15 PM   #5
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
There is a wiring harness available to get the cooled seats working on a 1SS 1LE or a 1SS with the Recaro seat option (rare) but nothing yet for retrofitting the seat heaters afaik. There is also a heated steering wheel harness if you want to swap in a steering wheel with that button/assembly built in.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552402

https://www.gen5diy.com/collections/...=7414805135418

For me the 1LE stereo is pretty good but I do have to run the volume near max on the highway to enjoy my music. But at max volume it gets uncomfortably loud after a few songs so I don't need any more volume range available. The Bose system in the 2SS rental I had could get a lot louder but that is getting into discomfort/hearing damage territory anyways. Overall I thought Bose offered a slight sound quality increase but not a huge difference vs my 1SS 1LE.

IMO the SS 1LE is overkill for daily use if you don't track it but I guess driving on twisty roads is a somewhat similar use case. Keep in mind that staying on the gas will get you into triple digit speeds easily in an SS if there are straights between the twisty parts...this along with cost may be the best argument for the 4 or 6 cylinder engines. The SS 1LE tires are not recommended for use below 40 degrees and grip poorly both when cold on dry roads and also when driving through standing water during/after rain while the stock non-1LE tires are all-seasons. If you plan to replace the stock tires anyways then that might not be much of a concern.

If you live near an airport try walking around the rental car lots to find a Camaro SS to test out for a day especially on the back roads to help you decide between auto and manual. Personally I found using the paddles on the 10 speed auto to be less engaging on twisty roads vs both using paddles on the 8 speed auto and using my 6 speed manual, but I prefer auto if encountering stop and go traffic frequently. You want to avoid the 8 speed auto because of the torque converter shudder issue though. Remember that they make manual 2SS non-1LEs too. You are unlikely to notice the difference between the mechanical LSD and the SS 1LE's eLSD when driving on public roads. The 1LE PTM modes might help you go a little faster on back roads but they also increase your risk of losing control and that is probably why Chevy doesn't recommend using them on public streets. I believe those two features are the main things that can't be optioned in to a regular SS, and the 1LE's harder bushings which IMO make the car uncomfortably stiff for uneven roads and potholes even in the touring suspension setting but are great for the track. The non 1LE tires still grip well on twisties and should last longer and have a wider useful temperature window for street driving.

Overall it is hard to go wrong regardless of which Camaro trim you pick.

Last edited by cdrptrks; 11-17-2019 at 04:20 PM.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:14 PM   #6
Grumpy1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Hyper Blue A10
Doesn't the 2ss come in the 1le trim now?
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:30 PM   #7
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
I was in a similar situation when I bought my 2SS, and it was a great choice. If you want to avoid the A8 because of the potential shudder issue, it's understandable, either go for a 2019 or 2020 with the downsized A10 (it's less beefy than the A10 in the ZL1 or the A8 in the 2016-2018 SS) or get a manual trans and row those gears yourself.

The 1LE would probably be overkill for a daily driver + occasional backroad toy, my 2SS is plenty good in the twisties, too. Of course if you're the rock star driver of the canyons, do go for the 1LE

I would try to find a used 2019 with low mileage that the owner got scared of or realized they wanted a hellcat, just to avoid the initial depreciation hit on a new car. That way you'll save some $$$ for the inevitable mods down the road

Finally, do heed the advice from s346k and test drive a V6 or I4 and a V8 before committing to either---I messed up and thought the V6 I had chosen would be sufficient, which it wasn't, so I ended up paying the "live and learn" price of the upgrade.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:33 PM   #8
Zapote21
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy1 View Post
Doesn't the 2ss come in the 1le trim now?
Sure does
2016 C7 DSOM
2012 2SS yellow vert
2017 2LT Krypton Green
2018 2LT Hot wheels crush
2020 2SS Shock vert.
2017 2SS Krypton Green coupe
Zapote21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:51 PM   #9
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
I've owned a 2016 1SS and now a 2018 1SS 1LE. Both were DD and I average about 1,500 miles a month. I enjoyed both quite a bit. The 2016 had the A8 shudder which was what prompted the move to the 1LE. With NPP, both provide the awesome V8 sound. Both have tons of low end torque. Both look great. I really liked the seats in the 1SS. I really, really love the Recaros in the 1LE. I like a cockpit like experience. I want everything in reach and I want plenty of lateral support. The Recaros are great for that. The HUD has become essential for me. I'll never buy another vehicle that doesn't have it. For the way I like to drive the ability to have all the information I need without taking my eyes of the road is enormous. The 1LE rear end, suspension, wheels and tires, HUD, M6, seats, all make it a no brainer for me. The 2SS option doesn't offer a lot of additional goodies that I care about. Heated and cooled seats, don't care, interior lighting stuff, don't care, better sound system, yeah that would be nice, the rest of the 2SS stuff, don't care.

Last edited by Wyzz Kydd; 11-19-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:59 PM   #10
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
There is a wiring harness available to get the cooled seats working on a 1SS 1LE or a 1SS with the Recaro seat option (rare) but nothing yet for retrofitting the seat heaters afaik. There is also a heated steering wheel harness if you want to swap in a steering wheel with that button/assembly built in.

For me the 1LE stereo is pretty good but I do have to run the volume near max on the highway to enjoy my music. But at max volume it gets uncomfortably loud after a few songs so I don't need any more volume range available. The Bose system in the 2SS rental I had could get a lot louder but that is getting into discomfort/hearing damage territory anyways. Overall I thought Bose offered a slight sound quality increase but not a huge difference vs my 1SS 1LE.

IMO the SS 1LE is overkill for daily use if you don't track it but I guess driving on twisty roads is a somewhat similar use case. Keep in mind that staying on the gas will get you into triple digit speeds easily in an SS if there are straights between the twisty parts...this along with cost may be the best argument for the 4 or 6 cylinder engines. The SS 1LE tires are not recommended for use below 40 degrees and grip poorly both when cold on dry roads and also when driving through standing water during/after rain while the stock non-1LE tires are all-seasons. If you plan to replace the stock tires anyways then that might not be much of a concern.

If you live near an airport try walking around the rental car lots to find a Camaro SS to test out for a day especially on the back roads to help you decide between auto and manual. Personally I found using the paddles on the 10 speed auto to be less engaging on twisty roads vs both using paddles on the 8 speed auto and using my 6 speed manual, but I prefer auto if encountering stop and go traffic frequently. You want to avoid the 8 speed auto because of the torque converter shudder issue though. Remember that they make manual 2SS non-1LEs too. You are unlikely to notice the difference between the mechanical LSD and the SS 1LE's eLSD when driving on public roads. The 1LE PTM modes might help you go a little faster on back roads but they also increase your risk of losing control and that is probably why Chevy doesn't recommend using them on public streets. I believe those two features are the main things that can't be optioned in to a regular SS, and the 1LE's harder bushings which IMO make the car uncomfortably stiff for uneven roads and potholes even in the touring suspension setting but are great for the track. The non 1LE tires still grip well on twisties and should last longer and have a wider useful temperature window for street driving.

The E-diff. does not make much difference on just a curvy road, where is really comes into its own is on the tighter sections and decreasing radius turns, as it helps you around the corners under throttle.

It all depends on how aggressive you are with it. If you like to canyon carve, it most definitely is worth it.

It DOES NOT however make the car more prone to losing control, that is just false info. You use PTM Dry or Sport 1 and you will not be losing control of anything. Now, you turn everything off and go nuts and yes, you can get yourself in trouble, but not any more that a standard SS without the E-diff.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:08 AM   #11
pbsinternet1le

Drives: 2017 1le current /2015 2ss 1le sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post

PTM is not a drug.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:02 AM   #12
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
I've owned a 2016 1SS and now a 2018 1SS 1LE. Both were DD and I average about 1,500 miles a year. I enjoyed both quite a bit. The 2016 had the A8 shudder which was what prompted the move to the 1LE. With NPP, both provide the awesome V8 sound. Both have tons of low end torque. Both look great. I really liked the seats in the 1SS. I really, really love the Recaros in the 1LE. I like a cockpit like experience. I want everything in reach and I want plenty of lateral support. The Recaros are great for that. The HUD has become essential for me. I'll never buy another vehicle that doesn't have it. For the way I like to drive the ability to have all the information I need without taking my eyes of the road is enormous. The 1LE rear end, suspension, wheels and tires, HUD, M6, seats, all make it a no brainer for me. The 2SS option doesn't offer a lot of additional goodies that I care about. Heated and cooled seats, don't care, interior lighting stuff, don't care, better sound system, yeah that would be nice, the rest of the 2SS stuff, don't care.
1,500?! Man do I envy you, everything must be so close by for you. I average just above 15,000 since everything in South Florida requires me to drive for miles.
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:27 PM   #13
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matos1LE View Post
1,500?! Man do I envy you, everything must be so close by for you. I average just above 15,000 since everything in South Florida requires me to drive for miles.
Thanks for catching that. It should have said 1,500 miles a MONTH.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote