Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-15-2022, 11:53 AM   #85
Camaro fanboy

Drives: 2017 2SS Arctic blue fully loaded

must say the rear end looks superb
Old 09-15-2022, 12:05 PM   #86
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I will take this over an electric Camaro any day. But at the same time the outgoing SS 1LE will still be faster around a track than the Mustang. GT needs better suspension and more mechanical grip to get a faster lap.

Curious to see specs on the Dark Horse track oriented model, but if it’s $60k… not worth it.

Last thought: this is what the S550 should have looked like.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 12:09 PM   #87
Camaro fanboy

Drives: 2017 2SS Arctic blue fully loaded
one huge problem with the s550 is the sitting on top of the car. u sit in our cars. bouncy harsh ride those things. i doubt this model is any different
Old 09-15-2022, 12:12 PM   #88
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
I’m curious how many current and prior Camaro owners actually cared about lap times prior to the 6th gen. I bet it wasn’t very many. It wasn’t until the Camaro became the lap time king for its price range that made people pay attention. The purpose of these cars when they came out in the 60’s wasn’t lap time superiority, it was straight line performance and that’s what the car was associated with its whole life until the track special 5th Gen variants came out. Then when the 6th gen came out pretty much any variant became fun to drive on track/twisty roads.

I’ll admit I didn’t care about its lap times until I bought the car and saw how nimble it was on the twisty roads nearby where I lived. That being said I don’t live near those types of roads anymore and I kind of miss having a more “cruiser” like pony/muscle car. I do road course my car 1-2 times per year but I drive it on mostly straight roads the other 99% of the time I’m driving. For me, if I decide to move to the 7th gen Mustang, I don’t think I’ll miss the handling characteristics of the alpha chassis that much except for the few times I go on the road course (assuming ford actually provides a diff cooler on the standard GT or performance pack this time around).

Coming from a '02 Porsche 911 Carrera that I used to track, I did replace it for my first muscle car, a '11 Mustang GT 5.0 with the track package that performed like the BMW M3 (V8) of that time, later on after my 5th gen ZL1, I bought a 6th gen Camaro SS that performed like the BMW M4 of that time, after reading about their handling performance on MT. Also the 6th gen SS1LE was performing at the level of the BMW M2 Competition.
Yes you would see many getting attracted to Muscle cars and the Corvette C6, C7 & C8 because of their competitive handling VS Porsche.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 12:38 PM   #89
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
meh not a fan and still havent seen single mach 1 at any local tracks yet doubt we will see anybody tracking a "dark horse" model haha
Old 09-15-2022, 12:42 PM   #90
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Ford passed on a chance to build aluminum into the structure.

GM should un-mothball the C7 line, stretch the wheelbase for an LS/LT powered (GTR awd) sedan. And build a rwd camaro7 off of that to stomp this Mustang. Screw the Dodges.

There's at least 20 years left of people's lives that will want these.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 12:54 PM   #91
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
Coming from a '02 Porsche 911 Carrera that I used to track, I did replace it for my first muscle car, a '11 Mustang GT 5.0 with the track package that performed like the BMW M3 (V8) of that time, later on after my 5th gen ZL1, I bought a 6th gen Camaro SS that performed like the BMW M4 of that time, after reading about their handling performance on MT. Also the 6th gen SS1LE was performing at the level of the BMW M2 Competition.
Yes you would see many getting attracted to Muscle cars and the Corvette C6, C7 & C8 because of their competitive handling VS Porsche.
Only way I'd replace a Porsche is with a newer better Porsche.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 12:59 PM   #92
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Name:  Dark Horse.JPG
Views: 346
Size:  65.1 KB

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 01:19 PM   #93
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro fanboy View Post

must say the rear end looks superb
I think the rear end looks decent without the spoiler. I may even really like it in person.

The over hang w/ boxy nose forward of the front wheels looks out of proportion with the rest of the car….. it grabs your attention, love it or hate it…
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 01:19 PM   #94
super_sxxy322

Drives: '22 Camaro 2SS/1LE
Ford, knowing Dodge and Chevy are at the end of their v8 ICE, looks like they're trying to gain that market by design. Just my thought.

Those two-toned Recaro's are pretty dope though!
1/13 - TPW 1/31
2/9 - 3800 - BUILT!
3/2 - 4300
3/14 - 4B00
3/19 - per Chevy chat - finishing up final testing and approvals - dealership ETA 4/16/22
3/29 - 4200 - dealer ETA 4/23
4/5 - 5000 - but can't pick up for another week
4/16 - 6000 - Home Sweet Home
Daily driver... '23 Mazda CX5/Premium Plus (dealer demo)
super_sxxy322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 03:33 PM   #95
triggerjerk

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
There was no mention of chassis improvements in the Ford reveal. The reveal overall was really disappointing, and aside from estimated hp values, didn't provide any meat - mostly fluff. At some points the host tried to get the crowd to react and a few people would clap. Motortrend wrote an article with some interesting details (new steering rack), but didn't mention any chassis upgrades except for new gen MagneRide available on performance pack cars.

To give you an idea on the reveal, at one point the Chief engineer came up, talked about the new power output, then said "Let's next talk about the steering and handling - it is next level" and mentioned the new gen MagneRide, then started talking about the gimmicky drift handle. Like I said, no meat, just fluff.

Overall, it's not all new as claimed, but the refreshed exterior looks pretty good, especially in Dark Horse trim (I think the front will grow on me), but the rear from some angles looks pretty bad. I wish the interior screens were two separate screens, with the gauge cluster within its own housing, separate from the infotainment. It looks plopped on top of the dash this way.
Yes I watched it too. It was a massive letdown. I am hearing a GT is going to weigh 4000lbs. Did it get the rumored explorer rear end?
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 04:03 PM   #96
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
ignoring the outside, which at this point, the general public really probably can't differentiate a camaro from a mustang, a lot of people have been complaining about the digital dash.

I dont mind the digital dash, since there are plenty of physical buttons on the lower console and on the steering wheel. And having fake analog gauges behind the steering wheel mixed with digital screens is stupid. Either go all digital there or all "analog". The half crap that we had in our lower tiered camaros was dumb.

What i dont like about the infotainment part of the digital dash is how it seems very much likely that this is a system that intends to exist on it's own data ecosystem controlled by the OEM and likely tied too deeply into the car than anyone should feel comfortable with given corporate security controls.

I'd much prefer if the car controls were entirely isolated and the infotainment was provided almost entirely by the driver (or passenger)'s phone. The phone should be the computer that follows you around and you plug in to things to provide the brains and content to otherwise "dumb" displays in different places. This display should be a frontend to android auto / carplay and that's mostly it. But that's not how it is. Instead you'll be paying for a duplication of (and likely reduction of) those features that would be freely available from your phone while simultaneously offering over data, adding a (in)security pathway thru an internet connection you can't turn off / control.

Also the rectangular air vents are lame and dated looking. Circles FTW ford.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 04:13 PM   #97
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
Ford passed on a chance to build aluminum into the structure.

GM should un-mothball the C7 line, stretch the wheelbase for an LS/LT powered (GTR awd) sedan. And build a rwd camaro7 off of that to stomp this Mustang. Screw the Dodges.

There's at least 20 years left of people's lives that will want these.
A Camaro sedan? No thanks.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 05:55 PM   #98
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
The redesigned Mustang will go on sale as a 2024 model year vehicle and offer new engine options, along with an overhauled interior with two, curved displays that owners can customize."

So, Chevrolet drops the Camaro and Ford releases a redesigned gasoline powered Mustang, which should be in high demand.
Hope it has more low end grunt than my 2015 GT did.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote