Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-15-2020, 11:31 AM   #15
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
I had my heads ported by TSP while I was doing their cam kit, and have been super happy with it so far!

I would do the heads now either way, and enjoy that extra power with your cam..then when it's time to boost, you already have that done too, to help maximize your boosted gains
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 11:50 AM   #16
Tpeeler31

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_go_gadget88 View Post
I had my heads ported by TSP while I was doing their cam kit, and have been super happy with it so far!

I would do the heads now either way, and enjoy that extra power with your cam..then when it's time to boost, you already have that done too, to help maximize your boosted gains
I like the way you’re thinking Gadget. That’s a good point. I’d do the TSP head porting but can’t have too much downtime as this is my dd. Once again, I appreciate everyone chiming in and giving me food for thought. I can’t go wrong either way which is good to know
Tpeeler31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 05:02 PM   #17
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
I would either:

A...Port a set of stock heads and live with mid 400's at the wheels with a medium sized cam. Big cams on a street car are just dumb in my book.

B...Add a blower with stock heads and cam.

No way would I spend big money on a set of aftermarket heads and then have them ported (more money). Yeah, they make a little more HP vs the cheaper ported stock heads, but the HP/$ metric doesn't compute.

Option A is the cheapest and simplest if that's enough for you. B gives you just about unlimited power potential. When mild boost on a stock long block gets boring, you can up the boost, add a cam and/or heads, add octane (meth or e85) and go totally apeshit if that's your game.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:56 PM   #18
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
FI is the biggest gain. My car drives almost like stock at 700whp stock heads on 93 octane. I'll never need head work. I can ad boost, meth, or race fuel if i want and hit 800. Car is a monster on the street and it's starting to become a bit much for the street. Depends on your end goals. If you need every ounce, yes go for heads. I'd start with the FI and see how you feel after. Power is addicting but i'm happy with where i am and don't feel i need more. I'm on 305 road course tires and on a crummy road i'm spinning in 3rd if it's cold. My best case is hot sticky road and i get full reaction in 2nd, 1st i cannot get into boost without losing traction the boost hits so hard.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:22 PM   #19
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
I'm all for efficiency. More power with less boost.
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:09 PM   #20
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Do the LS3 conversion, put in a nice cam and LSA SC, plus supporting fuel mods. Easily 650 whp.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:53 PM   #21
Tpeeler31

So after reading through the thread my thoughts are this: basically aftermarket heads are great but not necessarily cost effective when I could port the stockers, get similar gains, and come out cheaper (and that saved money would go towards FI). I know I will regret not doing heads because at the end of the day that will be power on the table that I passed up. Also from an efficiency standpoint, wouldn’t better flowing heads help make more power with less boost which in turn would be better for the block and heat? I believe I’ll port the stock heads, use the saved money towards boost, enjoy my gains in the meantime, and satisfy the power bug in me for the time being. For my scenario ported stock heads sound like the most satisfying option. Thank y’all for the time, valuable info, and helping me think this through!
Old 06-15-2020, 10:56 PM   #22
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
Agreed here
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:05 AM   #23
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
I dropped 3 psi so far from the FED M311's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpeeler31 View Post
So after reading through the thread my thoughts are this: basically aftermarket heads are great but not necessarily cost effective when I could port the stockers, get similar gains, and come out cheaper (and that saved money would go towards FI). I know I will regret not doing heads because at the end of the day that will be power on the table that I passed up. Also from an efficiency standpoint, wouldn’t better flowing heads help make more power with less boost which in turn would be better for the block and heat? I believe I’ll port the stock heads, use the saved money towards boost, enjoy my gains in the meantime, and satisfy the power bug in me for the time being. For my scenario ported stock heads sound like the most satisfying option. Thank y’all for the time, valuable info, and helping me think this through!

I was going to mention efficiency. I ran 20#s of boost on a stock ls3 with a cam for a while. it made a bunch of power (about 950), but boost is a measure of restriction which is actually a negative thing. Sooner or later, I would have lifted a head, or cracked a piston. With the new setup (dart 427 FED M311 heads and cam), with the same pulleys I'm seeing 3-4psi less boost and can tell its making more power already. (breakin period)

I think your plan will work, but just remember one thing. If and when the boost bug bites, you might someday be regretting not having a 6 bolt head.

Those PRC as cast heads are 6 bolt, and will out flow a ported stocker. All depends on your goals i guess. Mine change everyday.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:16 AM   #24
Yellow 1
Grumpy Grey-haired Guy

Drives: Camaro, Corvette & Merc C300(daily)
Quote:
Thanks for the input guys! I’ll probably look at TSP OR GPI’s porting services for the stock heads. However, I came across the GMPP heads and am considering them also since they are in my budget and I could sell my current heads. Plus I’d get hollow-stem intake valves which is a plus. I guess I’ll continue to do some more research!
I had the GMPP CNC heads fitted to mine, the stock LS head flows pretty well but the CNC ones are nice pieces. You can get the heads in a GM Hot Cam package or separately. With some decent long tubes hanging on these heads you'll notice a significant difference.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:16 AM   #25
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Quote:
Yes better flowing heads would make it more efficient. You really just need to ask yourself what your end goals will be. I've picked up 400bhp from a cam and whipple without touching the heads. If i go further i'll seriously need to be ready to go with a forged rotating assembly at least. I could ad head throttle body larger exhaust and pick up good power but then i'm worried about the bottom end. So if you plan to go beyond 750, 800whp first I'd be looking at bottom end upgrades and then think about here's. This is just my opinion and how i've thought out my build. Fuel system is also something you need to think about, my setup is sufficient for about 750whp max on 93. Beyond that and i'm looking at dual or triple return system. The bills get bigger and breakage more often the more power you add. So first i would try to figure out where you will be happy and realistic end goals. Do you have $25k to spend or $15k or $50k. You must think about diff, trans, axles, suspension, fuel, driveshaft and the little things inbetween.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:18 AM   #26
Tpeeler31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow 1 View Post
I had the GMPP CNC heads fitted to mine, the stock LS head flows pretty well but the CNC ones are nice pieces. You can get the heads in a GM Hot Cam package or separately. With some decent long tubes hanging on these heads you'll notice a significant difference.
Yeah I noticed the GMPP heads have a really good exhaust flow. I’m leaning towards those for the gains in flow for the price. Plus I’ll get hollow stem valves and a little more compression since it’s an LS3 head. If anyone wants to call dibs on my L99 heads just let me know because I’ll have them laying around when this is all said and done
Old 06-16-2020, 09:46 AM   #27
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
I didn't mention it in my last post, but +1 on the efficiency as well. Since my end goal is boost, more power with less of it sounds appealing. Boost is certainly the biggest gain, no doubt. That's why my personal preference is to "save the best for last".

If you can't really take a downtime having yours ported, the GMPP are the way I would go. Plus being able to resell the stock ones is nice, and get some money back if you wish.
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 11:24 AM   #28
Tpeeler31

Alright! GMPP heads it is! I’m sure those heads with a GPI rod modded intake will satisfy me for the meantime. Then when it is time for boost down the line, I’ll be set up for more efficient gains with the better heads. Plus I forgot to mention that as a student, this thing is my dd so the simpler and more reliable the better. The GMPP heads fit that bill IMO. Then when I have a beater/back up car I’ll be able to boost this thing and build a monster without having to worry about breakage too much. Once again, thank you guys for helping me think this through. Really glad I joined this forum!

Tags
aftermarket heads, heads, ported heads