Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-10-2021, 09:15 AM   #1
chevybill

Drives: 1994 z-28, 2017 2ss 6spd
2017 camaro service manual source

Apparently something is going on with the search feature.

Is there an affordable source for a chevrolet service manual for a 2017 camaro?
I would like to have one for reference in the future.

Thanks
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:27 AM   #2
Arizona_Droptop

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
See if this links works:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fow...ew?usp=sharing

That is a link to the 2017 service/repair manual I have on my one drive. No way could I email it to you. It's like 500 MB and thousands of pages long. But the info should be in there somewhere.
Arizona_Droptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:47 AM   #3
chevybill

Thank you,
I have requested access.

Thanks for the access.
It's a very large document.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:59 AM   #4
Arizona_Droptop

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Were you able to download it?

For what it's worth, here is a link to the source of the document. I bought it from this site:

https://sellfy.com/servicemanualspdf/p/Whvr/

Hope you find what you are looking for.
Arizona_Droptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:50 AM   #5
chevybill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona_Droptop View Post

For what it's worth, here is a link to the source of the document. I bought it from this site:

Thank you for your link.

I was able to download.
Old 10-11-2023, 07:13 PM   #6
NewCamaroOrder

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray 1LE
Chevy Bill you are my F***ing hero. Thank you!
NewCamaroOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 07:22 PM   #7
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Here is a link to Helm Publishing, they are usually the main publisher of service manuals, but they are not cheap. Their web site shows (among others) both a paper version and a usb version available.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.a...ected%5Fmedia=
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 07:33 PM   #8
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona_Droptop View Post

Well, it's one thing to pirate manuals and quite another to resell the stolen pdfs. Maybe it's just me and my old school mindset.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 06:50 AM   #9
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Well, it's one thing to pirate manuals and quite another to resell the stolen pdfs. Maybe it's just me and my old school mindset.
Just to play devil's advocate, the right to repair crowd would disagree very much so.

Back in the day you could pick up a Chiltons for $15.00 and fix anything on your car. It's not customers and owners fault that the complexity of modern cars now requires 9 volumes of 1000 page service manuals, and after the warranty expires anyone should be able to have access to the complete service manual for their car at a very cheap price, but also full access to ALL software and encoded operations of the vehicle without having to buy expensive software from the manufacture or go only through the dealer.

My point is, after your warranty is up, and most certainly after you've paid off the car, you should be able to fix ANYTHING yourself if you desire without expensive diagnostic equipment, software, or manuals.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 07:29 AM   #10
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
Just to play devil's advocate, the right to repair crowd would disagree very much so.

Back in the day you could pick up a Chiltons for $15.00 and fix anything on your car. It's not customers and owners fault that the complexity of modern cars now requires 9 volumes of 1000 page service manuals, and after the warranty expires anyone should be able to have access to the complete service manual for their car at a very cheap price, but also full access to ALL software and encoded operations of the vehicle without having to buy expensive software from the manufacture or go only through the dealer.

My point is, after your warranty is up, and most certainly after you've paid off the car, you should be able to fix ANYTHING yourself if you desire without expensive diagnostic equipment, software, or manuals.
Okay, I'll play (by the way, I am not taking GM's side here and agree with you on the right to repair as your stated, which I'm also a strong believer in).

Modern cars are increasingly more complex, with more electronics and computer software than ever. This is not a trend one can stand up against, it'd be simply pissing into the wind, since people normally learn, improve and advance the state of the art in every field. You cannot possibly demand that you are somehow automatically "rendered" able to understand and repair these without the new tools of the trade and for free. Just like you don't work for free, those who design the car's mechanical and software systems put thousands of hours into these designs, so this sort of demand is simply not sustainable.

On the other hand, provided one does have the necessary expertise, they should not be artificially prevented from working on their vehicle by the copious use of manufacturer-friendly encryption, obfuscation and exclusive parts availability, which forces people onto "official" and also copiously "greased" repair channels. This is the right to repair stance that I strongly advocate for.

Now, I purchased the service manual for my 2018 for $250, it has 10,000 pages of information with diagrams, drawings, specifications and exact procedures. This document must have taken thousands of manhours to produce, stealing it is simply not right, but it is 10x more wrong to resell the stolen work product. Just because you think the "system" is broken, you can't go into a shop and clear it out as "compensation" for your troubles in life either. Fencing the stolen goods afterwards takes that even further. (Disturbingly, some people [certainly not you] have adopted this mindset these days and you see in the news what that amounts to.)

In summary, fighting for the right to repair and forcing manufacturers to be less of a dick this way is great, showing GM the middle finger by reselling their intellectual property is not.

What do you think, olrocker?

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 09:10 AM   #11
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
And without jumping in on either side, a note of frustration here.

I've always had either the factory service manual or Chilton/Haynes/etc. manual (or both) for every car I owned. So the fact that I can't even order a hard copy manual for my 2021, when such a manual was available for my 2016, is a little frustrating. I guess I will eventually join the "subscribe and print to PDF" crowd...
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 09:36 AM   #12
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Okay, I'll play (by the way, I am not taking GM's side here and agree with you on the right to repair as your stated, which I'm also a strong believer in).

Modern cars are increasingly more complex, with more electronics and computer software than ever. This is not a trend one can stand up against, it'd be simply pissing into the wind, since people normally learn, improve and advance the state of the art in every field. You cannot possibly demand that you are somehow automatically "rendered" able to understand and repair these without the new tools of the trade and for free. Just like you don't work for free, those who design the car's mechanical and software systems put thousands of hours into these designs, so this sort of demand is simply not sustainable.

On the other hand, provided one does have the necessary expertise, they should not be artificially prevented from working on their vehicle by the copious use of manufacturer-friendly encryption, obfuscation and exclusive parts availability, which forces people onto "official" and also copiously "greased" repair channels. This is the right to repair stance that I strongly advocate for.

Now, I purchased the service manual for my 2018 for $250, it has 10,000 pages of information with diagrams, drawings, specifications and exact procedures. This document must have taken thousands of manhours to produce, stealing it is simply not right, but it is 10x more wrong to resell the stolen work product. Just because you think the "system" is broken, you can't go into a shop and clear it out as "compensation" for your troubles in life either. Fencing the stolen goods afterwards takes that even further. (Disturbingly, some people [certainly not you] have adopted this mindset these days and you see in the news what that amounts to.)

In summary, fighting for the right to repair and forcing manufacturers to be less of a dick this way is great, showing GM the middle finger by reselling their intellectual property is not.

What do you think, olrocker?
The question would then be, what exactly is "intellectual property" when YOU own YOUR car in it's entirety? You don't just own the engine, but not own the software and encoded encryption for all the ethernet functions, you own the whole god-dm thing. If you want to go into the encrypted software and kcuf everything up, why should ANYONE on the planet be able to stop you, either by law or by price? It's your car. Heck I know plenty of people who go into the BIOS of their home computer and f everything up when they have no business on earth even touching one of the F keys while it's booting up. There's no outrageous fees for the license or software to do that, no "intellectual property" arguments from Phoenix Technologies that in order to get into it you must purchase their 10,000 page manual for $300 or bring your computer into a PC store or otherwise you can't access anything and can't fix anything yourself if you do know what you're doing.

Why is there even a question of "intellectual property"? The property is that it's YOUR car! It has your name on the title, you've legally paid for it, you legally register it for use on public roads, and when it's stolen the people who stole the car get in trouble because it's not THEIR car - it's YOURS!
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 10:18 AM   #13
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maverick View Post
And without jumping in on either side, a note of frustration here.

I've always had either the factory service manual or Chilton/Haynes/etc. manual (or both) for every car I owned. So the fact that I can't even order a hard copy manual for my 2021, when such a manual was available for my 2016, is a little frustrating. I guess I will eventually join the "subscribe and print to PDF" crowd...
You can certainly buy the pdf and have it resolved to hard copy volumes, but at 10,000 pages this would likely be more expensive than your original purchase. Given the size of the document I can’t image a hard copy that size lacking the functionality of a search feature is going to be anywhere near as useful.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 06:44 PM   #14
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwcowboy View Post
You can certainly buy the pdf and have it resolved to hard copy volumes, but at 10,000 pages this would likely be more expensive than your original purchase.
Agreed that the service manual would be inefficient to print as a one-off, and I would be perfectly happy with the USB option as the 21st century equivalent of what I am looking for - but there is also no PDF shop manual for the 2019+ sixth gens...
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote