Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-30-2015, 09:06 PM   #1
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
2015 Mustang GT exhaust vs. 2016 Camaro SS "NPP" exhaust

This is a comparison of what can be had with both cars from the factory. I'm seeing some "too raspy" or "sounds like a truck engine" (Huh???) comments, especially on certain "other" websites.

The comments I'm seeing are about the stock exhausts, so leave out any "$895 buys you X or X setup for the Mustang". Not the point of this thread.

But do any of you guys really...honestly think the Mustang GT sounds better? Now I know you can't fully judge an exhaust based on a video clip. Fair is fair, so you have to give some slack to each video. But I will say that multiple people that heard the Camaro in person have stated that it is much better in person. I can't disagree with that.

But as for that stock Mustang GT, even some reviews were calling it too tame, and in my honest opinion, I've heard videos of V6s that sound as good or better than the stock GT. I'm sure it too is better in person, but I watched multiple videos, and the one I have linked below sounds like the others to me. The Camaro is much better.

What say you?

GT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=36&v=QMKIzgfjSvY

SS with NPP:
https://www.facebook.com/Mr.SJoachim...4455307509882/
Old 08-30-2015, 09:21 PM   #2
amerhash28

Drives: camaros in his dreams
Thats exactly what my friends keep saying.they all like the mustang sound and honestly it sounds nice in person but not as good as a 392 challlenger or the 1LE with fuse pull which I heard in person.
amerhash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:42 PM   #3
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
My buddy just got a 15 Mustang 5.0, I had him start it up and was very underwhelmed, it sounded ok driving away, but it sure looked sexy. Based on the sound clips of the Camaro, there is no comparison, the Camaro sounds 100 times more muscle. If they want to compare it to a truck exhaust then I would have to say the Mustang exhaust most closely resembles that of a Prius.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:57 PM   #4
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
This is a comparison of what can be had with both cars from the factory. I'm seeing some "too raspy" or "sounds like a truck engine" (Huh???) comments, especially on certain "other" websites.

The comments I'm seeing are about the stock exhausts, so leave out any "$895 buys you X or X setup for the Mustang". Not the point of this thread.

But do any of you guys really...honestly think the Mustang GT sounds better? Now I know you can't fully judge an exhaust based on a video clip. Fair is fair, so you have to give some slack to each video. But I will say that multiple people that heard the Camaro in person have stated that it is much better in person. I can't disagree with that.

But as for that stock Mustang GT, even some reviews were calling it too tame, and in my honest opinion, I've heard videos of V6s that sound as good or better than the stock GT. I'm sure it too is better in person, but I watched multiple videos, and the one I have linked below sounds like the others to me. The Camaro is much better.

What say you?

GT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=36&v=QMKIzgfjSvY

SS with NPP:
https://www.facebook.com/Mr.SJoachim...4455307509882/
I personally have never been a fan of any Mustang exhaust, just never did it for me...but when I hear GM' small blocks like the Camaro and Corvette, especially late models, I stop in my tracks and listen, music to my ears!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:30 PM   #5
Arrow signs

Drives: Chevy Duramax
The Camaro NPP sounds excellent from the factory.
The stock Mustang exhaust sounds soft and probably why most do the mod.
Thanks for the clips- I will be checking that box!
Arrow signs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:47 AM   #6
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
I've not heard the new Camaro in person, but I've test driven the 5.0 three times (1 auto, 2 stick) and test driven the new Scat Packs twice (1 auto 1 stick). In addition to owning a '12 5.0 that had Borla S-Types on it from day 2.

Inside and outside the Mustang is muted. Inside with the radio on and talking, you can barely notice it, even when running hard 1st through 3rd. I'm sure a set of Borla's would wake it up, but it's also usually around $1000 to do so.

The Scat Pack sounds great. Outside on start up it burbles and rumbles. Inside when you floor it, it's freaking glorious. It just sounds awesome. I've not heard it in person when someone does a high rpm pass, but I'm sure it sounds just as good as it does inside the car.

I fully expect the Camaro to be as good as the Scat Pack based on the videos and comments of people who have seen / heard it in person.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:29 AM   #7
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
I really can't say which sounds better until I have a chance to hear them both " in the wild". My guess would be that the SS will sound more aggressive than the GT direct from the factory. At the end of the day though, how sad has it gotten that we are comparing stock exhaust sounds? It's a case of all hat, no cattle, IMHO.

Last edited by titanfan; 08-31-2015 at 10:32 AM.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:18 AM   #8
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Well the NPP unleashed blows it away. I thought stock for stock on the 5th gen the GT sounded better. Havent heard a stock 6th gen exhaust so I can't say.
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:52 AM   #9
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Ford Mustangs have always had a unique sound. All the way from the OLD 5.0s, to the 4.6(SOHC/DOHC), to the current 5.0. Their sound is a trademark. Ford has always spent a lot if time and focus on the sound during production. Honestly, idk what happened with the new one. I guess its that "Euro" influence everyone keeps referring to? There has been a running joke for as long as I can remember that no matter how badly a Mustang gets his ass handed to him, SOMEONE, will inevitably say, "Yeah, but it sure sounds good!" Mustang is like the Susan Boyle of performance cars. Hard to look at, doesnt perform, but sounds beautiful.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:55 AM   #10
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
I don't think the NPP sounds bad, but we really haven't exactly had much to go buy.

I can bet that the good aftermarket cat-backs will sound better though. The NPP doesn't sound "tuned" to me, like all they cared was to make it loud. Which is why most likely I will pass on it and get something aftermarket. Plus then I get to lose that huge muffler.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:08 AM   #11
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I prefer the NPP. I have always liked the factory Mustang exhaust but this one seems to be way more toned down. Probably for European sales.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:32 AM   #12
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Agree with everyone else. NPP sounds much more aggressive so far which it should. I love the sound of the 392's active exhaust too. GT's exhaust is just too tame for my taste, but that is easily fixed. Doesn't the GT350 have an active exhaust? Wonder if we will see it show up on the GT option list.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:54 AM   #13
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Yes the GT350 has a dual mode type exhaust. I am certain we will see it very soon on the Stangs.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:18 PM   #14
blacks550gt

Drives: 2015 mustang gt
I like the NPP exhaust on the camaro, the 5.0 was very tame from the factory but I quickly fixed that. But shouldn't we compare the normal stock sound of the camaro vs the 5.0? Regardless like someone else mentioned, why are we comparing stock exhausts? Lol
blacks550gt is offline   Reply With Quote