Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-15-2016, 05:29 AM   #1
Arthur Collins
Police Magnet No more V6

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS To 2017 50th 2SS
Send a message via Yahoo to Arthur Collins
Goodbye LLT

I was forced to get rid of my first car. After a long battle with the dealership and warranty I decided that it wouldn't be worth money that was spent. About 4 months ago I was with my friend going to a movie (sausage party). When we got in the car it started with a slow crank. I thought nothing of it because it was a 5 year old battery so we were cruising doing about 55mph and I felt a miss. But no check engine light or anything I thought things were fine. When we made it to the movie theater we went to the parking garage. I normally park at the very top and when we got to the second level there was an instant loss of power followed by a loud chatter. So we parked and popped the hood and saw a oil leak I was so sure that it was front cover gasket. I called my mom for the tow truck but they said that they couldn't come until the next day so we went and watched the movie. After my mom picked us up and we left my camaro. FF The next day we got it towed to the dealer and they gave us a loaner. FF 2 months They called and said that it had about 2 quarts of oil in they said that they were gonna do engine teardown. FF 3 weeks They say that Warranty won't cover it so we called the warranty and they said that the dealership denied it we filed for reconsideration and got denied again. So we ask for the teardown results they tell us that my #2 & #5 rod bearings got seized to my crankshaft. So I showed up and thought I would see my engine out of the car and torn down but that wasn't the case. The Tech that worked on my car basically told me that he tore down my motor and saw my rod bearings. I was like yeah sure you did. I took plenty of pictures and video. Because the only thing he did was remove my crank pulley, oil pan, and loosen my crankshaft cap bolts and 3 rod end caps. I also brought up the front cover gasket and he said that it was not leaking but I pointed it out and he said it was seeping not leaking. I was like its not leaking because it has no oil in it but it still had drips. FF 3 weeks They said "We only tear down to the point of failure" We paid 1600 to get the car back and it was sitting outside for over a month without a oil pan at the dealer. We had it towed to our house and my plan was set in motion.
Arthur Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:55 AM   #2
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Collins View Post
I was forced to get rid of my first car. After a long battle with the dealership and warranty I decided that it wouldn't be worth money that was spent. About 4 months ago I was with my friend going to a movie (sausage party). When we got in the car it started with a slow crank. I thought nothing of it because it was a 5 year old battery so we were cruising doing about 55mph and I felt a miss. But no check engine light or anything I thought things were fine. When we made it to the movie theater we went to the parking garage. I normally park at the very top and when we got to the second level there was an instant loss of power followed by a loud chatter. So we parked and popped the hood and saw a oil leak I was so sure that it was front cover gasket. I called my mom for the tow truck but they said that they couldn't come until the next day so we went and watched the movie. After my mom picked us up and we left my camaro. FF The next day we got it towed to the dealer and they gave us a loaner. FF 2 months They called and said that it had about 2 quarts of oil in they said that they were gonna do engine teardown. FF 3 weeks They say that Warranty won't cover it so we called the warranty and they said that the dealership denied it we filed for reconsideration and got denied again. So we ask for the teardown results they tell us that my #2 & #5 rod bearings got seized to my crankshaft. So I showed up and thought I would see my engine out of the car and torn down but that wasn't the case. The Tech that worked on my car basically told me that he tore down my motor and saw my rod bearings. I was like yeah sure you did. I took plenty of pictures and video. Because the only thing he did was remove my crank pulley, oil pan, and loosen my crankshaft cap bolts and 3 rod end caps. I also brought up the front cover gasket and he said that it was not leaking but I pointed it out and he said it was seeping not leaking. I was like its not leaking because it has no oil in it but it still had drips. FF 3 weeks They said "We only tear down to the point of failure" We paid 1600 to get the car back and it was sitting outside for over a month without a oil pan at the dealer. We had it towed to our house and my plan was set in motion.
Sad to hear. I had a miss a while ago but nothing else. P0008 came up once. im almost at an SS money saved. Just hoping to get to that point before this happens to me.
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:24 PM   #3
W4rMach1ne

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT1
I had to ditch my Camaro when the head gasket started to leak and bought a Z71 Colorado. I wasn't going to spend $2000 to fix an engine that is known to fail like this. The problem is GM backed this engine with known problems. I have Never been happier driving my Colorado knowing it is not a ticking time bomb.
W4rMach1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:21 AM   #4
Arthur Collins
Police Magnet No more V6

At first they said that my car lost 4 quarts of oil and that it had no leaks whatsoever I went to the dealer and took these pics
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2016, 08:33 AM   #5
Arthur Collins
Police Magnet No more V6

I got it towed to my house and got down to business. BTW had to pay 1300 bucks to get it back in that condition.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2016, 08:39 AM   #6
Leo72793

if parting out i want the engine cover and rear diffuser haha. need to return to stock
Old 12-21-2016, 09:52 AM   #7
Arthur Collins
Police Magnet No more V6

https://youtu.be/EXDxeGK5eB8
Old 12-21-2016, 09:57 AM   #8
Arthur Collins
Police Magnet No more V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo72793 View Post
if parting out i want the engine cover and rear diffuser haha. need to return to stock
LOL I was gonna part it out but its gone now
Old 12-21-2016, 11:13 AM   #9
W4rMach1ne

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT1
GM let us down with all the fails in the LLT engine. I was sad to let mine go, but i couldn't keep dumping money in the catastrophe design with so many known issues. There is a reason they switched to the LFX. Sad GM will not stand behind their product the LLT engine.
W4rMach1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:37 PM   #10
Arthur Collins
Police Magnet No more V6

Progression
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2016, 09:08 PM   #11
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo72793 View Post
Sad to hear. I had a miss a while ago but nothing else. P0008 came up once. im almost at an SS money saved. Just hoping to get to that point before this happens to me.
P0008 is usually a timing chain thing... unless they addressed it after the LY7
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:09 PM   #12
Soybeanrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4rMach1ne View Post
I had to ditch my Camaro when the head gasket started to leak and bought a Z71 Colorado. I wasn't going to spend $2000 to fix an engine that is known to fail like this. The problem is GM backed this engine with known problems. I have Never been happier driving my Colorado knowing it is not a ticking time bomb.
HFV6 engines arent bad... just require a little more maintenance.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:39 PM   #13
Soybeanrice

Quote:
Progression
Cool to see youre having "fun" with your car. I'll be doing a timing chain on an LY7 next week.

How did you get the oil pan off with the engine in the car? Isnt the cross member in the way?
Old 12-21-2016, 09:50 PM   #14
Leo72793

Quote:
LOL I was gonna part it out but its gone now
Dang. well i got mods for sale :P

Tags
blown engine, dealer, rod knock