Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-21-2014, 07:47 PM   #15
Switchin2Chevy

Drives: Currently 2015 Mustang GT manual.
So I wanted to share with y'all. I had been in communication with William w/GM Customer Service. He's been pretty helpful and has been more than happy to listen to me while trying to get this issue taken care of. But so far, this is what I've got going on. So the tech at the dealership said that they were going to flush the transmission because it had been overfilled possibly during the car's last service. Calling BS on that. But the tech is of the belief that too much fluid is whats causing my problem. So this is what I've shared with William with GM. And if anything I've said is incorrect at all please set me straight. Again William has been great with what's he's had to work with. I just wanted to get some other opinions with what the situation is so far. Sorry if I rambled or became that guy that had the 4 page post that you stop reading after the first paragraph.

Originally Posted by Switchin2Chevy
William,

I was the person having the transmission issue with my 2010 2LT. So the car is at the dealer's service center. I had my wife call them to follow-up. she was told that the transmission fluid had been over filled. Possibly when it had it's last oil-change. Additionally, the tech informed me that they were not able to duplicate the issue. I let them know when I scheduled my appointment online through Sandy Sansing in Pensacola, FL's website that the issue was intermittent and they would more than likely not be able to duplicate the issue. I also told Joe Trainer, the service person I left the car with last Friday, 04/18 at 7am the same thing. In the thread I created to get some advice from members here, I said that the issue had been going on for about 2 weeks. The thread was created on 04/10. I got my oil changed on Saturday, 04/05. I got it changed before I drove to New Orleans for Wrestlemania. So I highly doubt that the transmission fluid is the issue as it was happening since before the oil change. Now I'm being told that they'll flush the transmission fluid out and refill it which would cost me $150.00. I think this is a bogus charge as they are just changing the fluid since they can't replicate the issue I'm having. Just because they are not able to replicate it does not mean there is not a problem. I've been driving manual transmission car's for the last 15 years. I'm not a mechanic by any means, by I know when the car has a problem.

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc

Hello,

Thanks for your message. I can absolutely understand that a transmission concern that cannot be duplicated at the opportune time would be beyond frustrating. We have documented that you're experiencing this without being able to get an official diagnosis of it unless you'd like to try a second dealer(?). We'll do everything we can on our end to help if this should become frequently occurring, or otherwise escalates. Let me know what's best for you.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by Switchin2Chevy This is where it gets long (sorry)

William,

Thank you for your swift response. And yes this is very frustrating. Again as I mentioned, this all started today when I had my wife call to check up on the car. I couldn't as I was at work and did have a free minute and didn't want to miss the service department before they closed. First they've had the car since Friday morning and didn't even look at at today because one of their transmission people called out sick and were already working on a previous job. Okay, I can understand that. But when I called and they tell me that due to previous service on my car, this is "maybe" why I'm having an issue is totally unacceptable in my eyes. When Joe Trainer called me to confirm my Friday appointment, he even said to me "Your car only has 38,*** miles on it, it doesn't need transmission service." and I told him he's right, I didn't need my transmission serviced and that I was having a problem with my transmission. As I mentioned earlier, I had my oil changed on the 5th of this month. This was done at Walmart. I still have the receipt and service print out. All that is indicated is that the transmission fluid was "checked". They did not add any fluid at all as there is more than likely a charge for it which would have to be agreed on before hand. William unfortunately this is not the first issue that I have had with this vehicle. I got the vehicle on 11/30/09. On 01/13 I took it to the Sandy Sansing dealership when I had some noise coming from the the front tires whenever I turned the wheel. Come to find out, the power steering was coming apart! Less than 2 months after having the car. On 05/19/10 I took it back to that same dealership because the clutch was sticking when I did a hard launch and the clutch had a burning smell. Turns out the clutch wheel was almost worn to it's rivets and the flywheel was distorted. This was replaced and related to the....transmission! The vehicle was under warranty at that time and I had no issues other than being disappointed that I was having so many issues. Sometime in 2010, I had to take the car back to the dealership I purchased the car from in Alabama for an issue I was having with a section of the leather seat wearing thin. Sandy Sansing would not look at it as they state that it is from the operator. I didn't agree with their reasoning but I took it back to Alabama and got it fixed and. I haven't done anything different as far as sitting and the patch is still fine. In 2011, I forget the exact dates as I don't have the paperwork anymore, but I took the car in again because I had a headlight out. I tried to replace the bulb and that wasn't the issue. I had a minor lighting modification done. I installed aftermarket led halo's in 2010. So the dealership informed me that the ballast had gone bad but they "believed" that this was due to my modifications. I called BS on this because those changes were made a year or more before the ballast went bad. But at the same time, I could somewhat see their point and reasoning. And sometime last year I think, I took it back because I was having an issue with my speakers. The warranty was about to expire and I wanted to have it looked at beforehand. They were making a popping noise even when they were not at maximum volume and I told them at the time that the issue was only occurring when I had my iphone plugged in to it and only on certain songs. This is a frequency issue. And again they could not replicate it and said the speakers were fine. To this very day, I am still having the issue with the clutch. It's a well known issue with the V6 model. A lot of us on this forum I've had similar issues with the clutch sticking and having a burning smell. To this day, still having the issue with the speakers. I apologize for the "novel" William, but this issue that I am having with my transmission right now is real. It is not my fault the issue cannot be replicated by the tech's but that doesn't not mean it does not exist. Now if it was an issue that I caused, then fine, I will pay for it and get it fixed no problem. But I don't believe that I should have to pay for it to be repaired when it clearly the issue is not caused by operator error, and there are well documented previous issues related to my car's transmission as well as documented TSB's with the clutch on this particular model car. To suggest that "maybe" the transmission fluid was overfilled during my last oil change is ludicrous, an insult to my intelligence and just plain false. The tech that I spoke who is handling my issue gave this reason simply because they cannot replicate my issue and just throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks. Unfortunately, my wife told them to go ahead and flush the transmission when she called then and told me about it afterwards. So when I called them to discuss this, they were already in the process of doing it. The person I spoke to even stating that they'll drive it again after the flush to see if the issue happens when they drive it. So my question then becomes; "What happens if when you drive the car again after flushing the transmission and you notice the issue happens?". What happens to the $150.00 that you'll charge me? Sorry to vent but I am very frustrated with this issue and feel as though it has not been handled property. Joe Trainer, the person that I left the car with said they'll need to take apart the transmission to investigate. This was not done. I could certainly taker the car elsewhere but again, what happens to the money Sandy Sansing is wanting to charge me for unnecessary work? And I am sad to say that while I LOVE my car, the 2007 Mustang GT (also manual transmission, larger engine), that I traded to get the Camaro (Hence my handle on Camaro5), never had any issues. I never took it in for a problem not even one time in the three years I had it. Now, with all this in mind. How can we proceed?

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc

Thanks for your detailed response. Unfortunately, GM dealers are unable to service any concerns that are not occurring when the vehicle is in for service. It sounds as though the $150 you're referring to is a suggested maintenance service that the techs "feel" would help your concern, because as stated, there's nothing for them to actually diagnose. If you have a second dealer you'd like to try, feel free to let me know and I'll reach out to their Customer Experience Manager. I cannot guarantee that your concern will be replicated, but we'll do what we can to assist.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by Switchin2Chevy

And also William, I wanted to add and sorry to keep flooding you with info. I just wanted to be sure that you were well informed on my issue and armed with as many details as I can provide. My wife called to check on the car at 3:20. The tech told my wife that they had just gotten the keys to the car. Then I called at 3:36. Now if they were supposed to take apart the transmission to investigate this, I don't believe that they'd be able to do so even if they started looking at it right at 7 When they opened. Again while I'd rather not pay as I don't feel a transmission flush will resolve the issue, I will pay it if they fully investigate my concerns and I really don't feel that they've done their due diligence at this time. I would prefer them to actually take apart the transmission and confirm there is not an issue instead of blaming it on too much transmission fluid. My issue is only happening with 3rd gear alone. Having too much fluid wouldn't cause this..
Switchin2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:33 AM   #16
Switchin2Chevy

any thoughts?
Old 04-22-2014, 08:31 AM   #17
TOYMARO

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS 2SS
My trans issue seemed ok for "putting around" type driving. Tell the tech to "get on it" a little bit and thats where my trans issue would show its head. HAD to be hard driving. (spirited driving)
TOYMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:47 AM   #18
Switchin2Chevy

Ok so I got the car back on Wednesday. The dealer hadn't flushed the transmission yet and is waiting on fluid to come in. However, there has not been any grinding wit 3rd gear, even with some spirited driving. So we'll see...
Old 04-25-2014, 02:36 PM   #19
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchin2Chevy View Post
Ok so I got the car back on Wednesday. The dealer hadn't flushed the transmission yet and is waiting on fluid to come in. However, there has not been any grinding wit 3rd gear, even with some spirited driving. So we'll see...
Thanks for your update. It is really appreciated. Please keep us posted on this situation and on the overall performance of your vehicle.

Kindly,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:27 PM   #20
Switchin2Chevy

So I've read that our car's transmission is sealed and has "fluid for life". There's not even a dipstick to check the transmission fluid level. Wouldn't this further prove that what the tech at the dealership told is BS when they said that it was too full and is why I was having trouble..?
Old 05-02-2014, 04:27 PM   #21
Switchin2Chevy

any thoughts..?
Old 05-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #22
Switchin2Chevy

Another Update. I have the car at another (smaller) dealership. They found the issue right away but had to contact GM's tech about the issue. GM requested the service department to do a complete tear down of the transmission to find out if 3rd gear is going out or if there is an issue with the synchro. The guy with the service department even said they'd call GM back to arrange either a loaner or rental for me! So we'll see...
Old 05-08-2014, 10:43 PM   #23
TOYMARO

Well you tell them to replace the gear too, not just the syncro. My trans got put together with no new gear....took for test drive, and it popped right outta 3rd. New 3ed gear in. all is well

If they say the 2nd syncro, say its the gear too. Same for any gear. IMO
My rebuild was the 1st and 2nd sync, 3rd and 4th sync, 2nd gear, third gear.

And i think the manual on the v6 is a gear lube tranny so yes, it has no dip stick, just a fill hole and a drain hole, like a differential.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:40 AM   #24
Switchin2Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYMARO View Post
Well you tell them to replace the gear too, not just the syncro. My trans got put together with no new gear....took for test drive, and it popped right outta 3rd. New 3ed gear in. all is well

If they say the 2nd syncro, say its the gear too. Same for any gear. IMO
My rebuild was the 1st and 2nd sync, 3rd and 4th sync, 2nd gear, third gear.

And i think the manual on the v6 is a gear lube tranny so yes, it has no dip stick, just a fill hole and a drain hole, like a differential.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I'm just happy it's at the very least, getting looked at instead of being fed a line of crap...

Last edited by Switchin2Chevy; 05-09-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:34 PM   #25
Switchin2Chevy

Ok, so I got the car back yesterday afternoon. I must say, it's running even better than it was before I brought it in. The 3rd to 4th synchros were bad which in turn cause 3rd gear to go out. And the teeth on 3rd gear were worn out, and debris in the transmission fluid. New synchros were ordered as well as another 3rd gear and the transmission was rebuilt. So much for the previous service department telling me i needed to have my transmission flushed for $150.00 (Thanks Sandy Sansing Cheverolet in Pensacola, FL. for wasting my time. Bang up job!). The guys at Lou Sobh's Chevrolet in Milton, FL. really took care of me.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:54 PM   #26
TOYMARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchin2Chevy View Post
Ok, so I got the car back yesterday afternoon. I must say, it's running even better than it was before I brought it in. The 3rd to 4th synchros were bad which in turn cause 3rd gear to go out. And the teeth on 3rd gear were worn out, and debris in the transmission fluid. New synchros were ordered as well as another 3rd gear and the transmission was rebuilt. So much for the previous service department telling me i needed to have my transmission flushed for $150.00 (Thanks Sandy Sansing Cheverolet in Pensacola, FL. for wasting my time. Bang up job!). The guys at Lou Sobh's Chevrolet in Milton, FL. really took care of me.

Glad to hear. Thats how a dealer should be....mine is too