Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 05-14-2019, 08:16 AM   #1
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
Question Aftermarket Clutch + No Lift Shift

All,

Was looking for some feedback on those who have upgraded their clutch to either being FBO or boosted and still being able to NLS with the new clutch..

Who did you go with and who would you recommend as far as best feel or close to stock feel?

Help is much appreciated
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:25 AM   #2
MP3BOOSTED

Bump
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
Old 05-15-2019, 07:46 AM   #3
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Many people usally dont change clutches on these cars and those that do is because they are in the high HP range... and those really dont NLS since most are already having traction issues... that being said those local FBO cars that have had clutch replacements all ended up having tranny issues after.... ending with a full trans swap... I dont know why but its what i've seen.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:49 AM   #4
MP3BOOSTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2K View Post
Many people usally dont change clutches on these cars and those that do is because they are in the high HP range... and those really dont NLS since most are already having traction issues... that being said those local FBO cars that have had clutch replacements all ended up having tranny issues after.... ending with a full trans swap... I dont know why but its what i've seen.
That's true, I didn't think about traction and all. I'm going to be pretty close to the 1000whp mark here in july hopefully. I just need to put some time together and pull the motor to install everything.

I've thought about sending my trans off to RPM for a stage kit they offer but truly feel the clutch even right now being FBO is at its limits. I just don't know who or what those have gone with that would recommend it again. I was considering about just going monster clutch as well

Old 05-15-2019, 07:59 AM   #5
DWR

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3BOOSTED View Post
That's true, I didn't think about traction and all. I'm going to be pretty close to the 1000whp mark here in july hopefully. I just need to put some time together and pull the motor to install everything.

I've thought about sending my trans off to RPM for a stage kit they offer but truly feel the clutch even right now being FBO is at its limits. I just don't know who or what those have gone with that would recommend it again. I was considering about just going monster clutch as well
Run the stock clutch till it lets go... Look at it this way, you arn’t sure that it’s at it’s limit, you already payed for it, and if it does “let go” it will just burn through the clutch pack and not grip... no damage otherwise... The clutch is the only piece (that I can currently think of) I believe in “don’t fix/upgrade if it isn’t broken” because big whoop if it goes out, call AAA, get a tow to your builder and upgrade.

Edit:
It most likely is at it’s limit at 1000hp though haha
2007 Toyota Corolla S -- Traded
2007 Colorado I-5 3.7L z85 2wd ext. cab --Totaled
2004 Silverado single cab 4.8l v-8 2wd -- Traded
2018 Camaro SS 1LE -- Current DD
DWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:02 AM   #6
MP3BOOSTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR View Post
Run the stock clutch till it lets go... Look at it this way, you arn’t sure that it’s at it’s limit, you already payed for it, and if it does “let go” it will just burn through the clutch pack and not grip... no damage otherwise... The clutch is the only piece (that I can currently think of) I believe in “don’t fix/upgrade if it isn’t broken” because big whoop if it goes out, call AAA, get a tow to your builder and upgrade.
Yeah I hear you, I like to plan ahead to avoid such instances of having to worry about things breaking. So throughout some runs on the track or what not after a few runs I can tell a huge difference in the feel. I'd say about 4 runs of me at WOT and it feels almost to LIGHT if you know what I'm talking about. but I do agree with your input.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:32 AM   #7
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
The don't fix it if it ain't broke rule doesn't really apply in this situation.

Stock clutch isn't going to hold 1000whp...not replacing it while the car is apart for the build is a mistake imo. That would be worse then trying to run a stock converter with the A8 on a build of this caliber.

Last thing I would want is AAA towing my car and the very last thing I would want is a clutch coming apart sending parts through the floor. 1000whp is a entirely different league of power. The entire drive-line/rear suspension will likely need beefed up.

Far as the NLS feature...I am not sure how well it would work with a setup making +600whp over stock.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:41 AM   #8
MP3BOOSTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
The don't fix it if it ain't broke rule doesn't really apply in this situation.

Stock clutch isn't going to hold 1000whp...not replacing it while the car is apart for the build is a mistake imo. That would be worse then trying to run a stock converter with the A8 on a build of this caliber.

Last thing I would want is AAA towing my car and the very last thing I would want is a clutch coming apart sending parts through the floor. 1000whp is a entirely different league of power. The entire drive-line/rear suspension will likely need beefed up.

Far as the NLS feature...I am not sure how well it would work with a setup making +600whp over stock.
Very true, Well at this point i'm ready to throw the NLS out the door and just here about what clutch on those who have upgraded recommend. I just bring up NLS as i've heard the ACT clutch doesn't allow you to NLS or something like that, i heard that from a few Bolt on camaros out there.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:13 PM   #9
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
NLS is all in the electronics, no physical part controls it (other than throttle and clutch pedal position). I don't see how a clutch would disable NLS.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:09 AM   #10
Jhunsberger

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6 (SOLD)
FWIW, only 650 rwhp here, but I use NLS at the track, and has worked just fine.

Stock: 416hp/427tq, 12.21 @ 116.80

Modified 02/2019: Whipple SC w/ 3.500 pulley, LT4 fueling, NW 103 TB, Roto-Fab Big Gulp, Kooks 2" jet coated, full Borla ATAK exhaust, DSS axles, Gforce driveshaft.

Tuned by EFX Tuning 688hp/632tq

Best 1/4 to date: 10.705 @ 131.92
Jhunsberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:33 AM   #11
RuthleSSchevy

Drives: 2016Camaro+1968Chevelle+1954BelAir
The nls feature has worked great for me with a dyad clutch. Not sure why people have problems it works at any speed and any rpm for me. No lift just shift and the rps drop to the next gear. Engagement crusing around town is deffinetly harsher but you get used to it and figure out the sweet spots. Caution you cannot drive like you would with the stock clutch or you will blow the tires off at every shift above 4k. Also 1st gear is useless, i never use it anymore 😂
Old 05-16-2019, 08:40 AM   #12
MP3BOOSTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthleSSchevy View Post
The nls feature has worked great for me with a dyad clutch. Not sure why people have problems it works at any speed and any rpm for me. No lift just shift and the rps drop to the next gear. Engagement crusing around town is deffinetly harsher but you get used to it and figure out the sweet spots. Caution you cannot drive like you would with the stock clutch or you will blow the tires off at every shift above 4k. Also 1st gear is useless, i never use it anymore 😂
Well i've only heard issues when it comes to the ACT clutch, I use NLS all the time on my stock clutch and being FBO H/C. But yeah I have always wondered if other clutches would cause a 'similiar issue' like what i've heard about ACT users.. seems like no one is having any issues which is great

Old 05-16-2019, 08:41 AM   #13
MP3BOOSTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laststandard View Post
NLS is all in the electronics, no physical part controls it (other than throttle and clutch pedal position). I don't see how a clutch would disable NLS.
I agree which is why when i heard ACT clutches caused some issues when trying to NLS. could be installation issues as well now that i think about it.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:46 PM   #14
ZNix

Drives: 1987 Buick Grand National
RPS BC3 and be done with it. Clutches are expensive, but they are a huge part of your build. Don't skimp. There shouldn't be any issues with the NLS feature, afaik. Unless they are using a clutch stop to shorten the pedal throw, then maybe you have to adjust the clutch pedal sensor?
ZNix is offline   Reply With Quote