Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-05-2010, 07:31 AM   #1
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Forged Pistions and Rods for LLT

Does anyone know if anyone is making aftermarket forged pistions and rods for our little V6? I've seen some stuff on the CTS that suggests it has them (http://drupal.caddyinfo.com/?q=node/44), and others that suggest they are cast like ours (http://www.zercustoms.com/news/2008-Cadillac-CTS.html). What about the Holden V6, does it even have the same bore/stroke as ours? Any guidance would be greately appreciated.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
if they start making cams I would skip going FI all together
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
This kind of stuff is going to be very labor intensive... and most likely very very expensive!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
This kind of stuff is going to be very labor intensive... and most likely very very expensive!
why is that? school me
Old 10-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Sun View Post
why is that? school me
Dual overhead cams with variable valve timing... basically just complicates things... requires special GM tools and then my understanding it can be PITA to time things properly and could be fairly easy to get things a bit off...
Old 10-05-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
I have custom pistons made quite often, so any thing is possible,,,but the cost would be high. If going FI you will want to try and lower the CR some as it is in the 11.4 to 1 range stock.

How much are you paying and who do you use? I'm doing this because I do want turbos and I'm afraid the engine won't take much more that 6 psi with cast pistons and rods.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:10 PM   #7
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
I had no idea the cts had forged pistons. Good to know forged is available.
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #8
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD1 View Post
I had no idea the cts had forged pistons. Good to know forged is available.
I'm saying one place I looked said it did, the other one make it sound like it had the same as ours.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
How much are you paying and who do you use? I'm doing this because I do want turbos and I'm afraid the engine won't take much more that 6 psi with cast pistons and rods.

Not trying to be a smartass but says who?
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:45 PM   #10
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Quote:
Dual overhead cams with variable valve timing... basically just complicates things... requires special GM tools and then my understanding it can be PITA to time things properly and could be fairly easy to get things a bit off...
:( nevermind then
Old 10-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #11
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
Not trying to be a smartass but says who?
i don't think he knows that as a fact. He said he's afraid it wont...and honestly, he's probably right. with 6psi, you're probably looking at over 500hp at the crank.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:16 AM   #12
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
i don't think he knows that as a fact. He said he's afraid it wont...and honestly, he's probably right. with 6psi, you're probably looking at over 500hp at the crank.
Exactly. I don't know what it can take, but I also don't want to be the one that finds that limit. I'd much rather be safe. If that means I have to wait until someone starts manufacturing these then I'll keep the boost low on any future turbo system.

I also think similar issues may arise with the tranny. I don't know it as fact, but if you look at the specs on the Wiki site you'll see the max tq. is pretty low (332 ft-lbs for A6, 345 ft-lbs for M6). So, if assume 500 HP with 6 psi (I think that is what STS is claiming) at 6500 RPM, you are generating about 400 ft-lbs torque. You might be able to push it that far because the transmission is rated at that for a 5000 lb vehicle and because you won't be putting that out right away, but turbos do put out a lot of torque at low RPMs (especially small ones). Of course, I won't know until I get the turbos and do the dyno.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:39 AM   #13
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Exactly. I don't know what it can take, but I also don't want to be the one that finds that limit. I'd much rather be safe. If that means I have to wait until someone starts manufacturing these then I'll keep the boost low on any future turbo system.

I also think similar issues may arise with the tranny. I don't know it as fact, but if you look at the specs on the Wiki site you'll see the max tq. is pretty low (332 ft-lbs for A6, 345 ft-lbs for M6). So, if assume 500 HP with 6 psi (I think that is what STS is claiming) at 6500 RPM, you are generating about 400 ft-lbs torque. You might be able to push it that far because the transmission is rated at that for a 5000 lb vehicle and because you won't be putting that out right away, but turbos do put out a lot of torque at low RPMs (especially small ones). Of course, I won't know until I get the turbos and do the dyno.
My concern is the fuel system.... while it appears to be able to support 5 to 6 PSI, i'm not sure it will support more than that.... I know one of the performance guys here was looking at the math on things... but not sure it is that simple with DI...

That being said... a properly tuned automatic should be able to handle a bit more than what it's really rated for... you might not get 100,000 miles out of it... but I would think it would hold up pretty well... key is going to be getting the tranny calibration correct and changing the fluid a lot more often than the book says...
Old 10-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #14
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
My concern is the fuel system.... while it appears to be able to support 5 to 6 PSI, i'm not sure it will support more than that.... I know one of the performance guys here was looking at the math on things... but not sure it is that simple with DI...
Yes, I was going to start a discussion about that. It looks like the fuel pump can handle 550 HP (it might be 500 HP). However, the injectors are only 1900 psi, and other DI engines (e.g., MazdaSpeed3) have found that to be too limiting. Most of those guys are replacing the injectors and fuel pumps.

Quote:
That being said... a properly tuned automatic should be able to handle a bit more than what it's really rated for... you might not get 100,000 miles out of it... but I would think it would hold up pretty well... key is going to be getting the tranny calibration correct and changing the fluid a lot more often than the book says...

400 I'm not too worried about. Vince can tune it up to a point. However, I'm not sure it can handle the TQ you would be throwing at it with say 10-12 psi. Even if the TM system can accomodate it at low RPM it will do it at the expense of the launch I would think. I'd rather build the tranny and throw the power at it . Just my idea for my car -- others may have other opinons.