Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-01-2020, 06:01 PM   #1
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Drives: '16 Z06
Is it difficult to replace front splitter?

My dumbass thought I could take this incline if I hit it at the right angle. Well I sure hit it and scraped the front of my splitter. It now has scratches on the front of it, and while I am upset I'm not too terribly distraught by it. I was planning on replacing it with a carbon fiber one to match the insert anyway.

Is it difficult to replace? Will someone with little experience working on cars be able to do it themselves? I won't have to take off the bumper or front fascia will I?

I was thinking of something like: https://www.phastekperformance.com/A...-fa-601727.htm

Are there any other sites where I can buy one? I'm looking for a carbon fiber splitter that looks as close to OEM as possible. Possibly replacing the side skirts too.

picture of the damage: https://imgur.com/xJf9NYG
JasonGofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:17 PM   #2
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
oem front splitters are cheap, comparitively. Was in the $135 range last I checked, comes pre painted same black color.

do you just want a replacement or are you wanting to upgrade?

stock part is 84176917
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:37 PM   #3
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

I figured if I'm going to replace it I should go big or go home.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:29 AM   #4
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
I replaced mine about a month ago. It is not terribly hard, I raised up one side of the car and was able to get under to do the work.

No, bumper/front fascia removal is not required. There are screws all along the front and some in the wheel wells you'll have to remove to pull the liners back enough to get behind the lip.

You'll also need a pop-rivet gun because the very front/middle is attached via pop-rivet.

The screws that you'll have to remove are mainly two lengths so, you'll want to pay attention what length goes way (think the difference between them is 5mm?). And there are two screws in the front that are different from the rest (take a photo and you'll know where to put them).

Once you get the screws out, you'll have to get in/behind the lip with a pair of pliers to squeeze the clips that hold the front/middle part of the lip to the car. The hardest part was getting those clips off the lip, without damaging them, once i got the lip off the car.

Took me about an hour and a half. Anyone with decent skills knowledge can do this rather easily.
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:11 AM   #5
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
You story is exactly why I'd stay with the OEM splitter and not get a beautiful/expensive CF piece. These are meant to be somewhat consumable items, especially if you track it.

But, I get the allure and it is your money.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:44 AM   #6
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwav8r View Post
I replaced mine about a month ago. It is not terribly hard, I raised up one side of the car and was able to get under to do the work.

No, bumper/front fascia removal is not required. There are screws all along the front and some in the wheel wells you'll have to remove to pull the liners back enough to get behind the lip.

You'll also need a pop-rivet gun because the very front/middle is attached via pop-rivet.

The screws that you'll have to remove are mainly two lengths so, you'll want to pay attention what length goes way (think the difference between them is 5mm?). And there are two screws in the front that are different from the rest (take a photo and you'll know where to put them).

Once you get the screws out, you'll have to get in/behind the lip with a pair of pliers to squeeze the clips that hold the front/middle part of the lip to the car. The hardest part was getting those clips off the lip, without damaging them, once i got the lip off the car.

Took me about an hour and a half. Anyone with decent skills knowledge can do this rather easily.
Thanks! Do you have any pics by chance? Did you use another OEM splitter or a CF one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
You story is exactly why I'd stay with the OEM splitter and not get a beautiful/expensive CF piece. These are meant to be somewhat consumable items, especially if you track it.

But, I get the allure and it is your money.
Ha you're not wrong. I had this in mind for awhile and I think I learned my lesson, but I am still considering just staying OEM, mostly because I'd feel I need side skirts to match.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:32 PM   #7
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGofast View Post
Thanks! Do you have any pics by chance? Did you use another OEM splitter or a CF one?

Ha you're not wrong. I had this in mind for awhile and I think I learned my lesson, but I am still considering just staying OEM, mostly because I'd feel I need side skirts to match.
I didn't take any photos, sorry. It is very straightforward though.

I would stick with OEM as well. It comes painted and for the price of an aftermarket you can beat the hell out of 2 of these for the cost of one aftermarket.
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote