The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #15
PsyDoc

Drives: Soon-to-be 1st Gen
You cannot register a vehicle in the U.S. with no VIN. I think that most law enforcement agencies consider a car with no VIN as being stolen. So, I guess they would have to investigate to make sure the car is not stolen. Next, I imagine that you would have to apply for a state issued VIN, which might involve court costs. If the car turns out to be stolen, then you are likely out the $1k you paid for the car.

If the guy is saying that the car is a real Z/28, then my guess is that, in addition to the VIN, the partial VINs that are hidden in the cowl area and on the firewall below the blower motor are gone. If both these "hidden VINs" are not on the body, then my guess is that they were cut off and "pasted" into another Camaro that was in better shape and sold as a "real" Z/28. If the hidden VINs are there, then likely no "funny business" is happening. If those are gone, then I'd look elsewhere.
PsyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #16
UsedTaHaveA68

Drives: Hyundai Sonata
Not worth it. You can't tell if it's a Z/28 by the VIN, you need to look at the cowl tag. If it doesn't have an X33 or an X77 on there, it's not a Z/28. Even if you find out the body is a true Z/28, it still wouldn't be worth as much without a numbers matching engine, transmission, intake, and rear end. And if it's in as bad shape as you are making it out to be, you will EASILY spend over 40k restoring it, and that's if you do it all yourself. If you pay someone, you're looking at closer to 70-80,000. People think I'm joking, but it's true. Body work is very expensive if you pay for someone to do it. There are tons of replacement panels, but true 1st gen afficiandos (and trust me, there's plenty of them) can recognize the slight differences between stock and NOS parts and replacement panels. I use to have a 68 (bet no one could figure that out!) and know first hand how expensive this stuff gets.

If you're looking for a Z/28 to restore back to perfection, you can find ones a littler better off. They'll cost more, but will be worth it. If you're looking for a 1st gen to modify and keep as your toy, don't worry about getting a true Z/28. You can buy replacement emblems if you want it to say that. Most people don't know what a TRUE Z/28 is. They think if it had a v-8, it was a Z/28. So yeah, pass on this one.

Helpful info here:
http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml
UsedTaHaveA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #17
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
for $1000.00, maybe not. the fact that it doesnt have a vin means you are limited to building a trailer queen unless he has the title to the car and some way of proving the documentation of it. still, Id offer him maybe $750.00 cash and take her home. you can always yank a vin from a junkyard car or buy a new one if need be.

but if you/your brother are wanting to make it a true collectable, you are pretty much SOL. now if you just want to make a cool looking street cruiser out of it and dont care about the numbers matching and collectability of it, pick it up and spend a few years building it up into the car you want it to be.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote