Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #29
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
Well! Hopefully, all the Morons will respect the ZL1 and not want to jump on it like they have done with my SS.
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #30
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSJIM View Post
Well! Hopefully, all the Morons will respect the ZL1 and not want to jump on it like they have done with my SS.
It does not mater what you drive , at some point it will happen , it's up to you to ......just smile .
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #31
Fiveg56

Drives: -
In my professional opinion…THEY ARE A GIANT WASTE OF MONEY.

-A COP WHO STOPS A LOT OF CARS FOR SPEEDING
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #32
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post
In my professional opinion…THEY ARE A GIANT WASTE OF MONEY.

-A COP WHO STOPS A LOT OF CARS FOR SPEEDING
That's what I always thought. That's why I never bought one. MY buddies have them ,and they still get tickets. One had his taken from him in VA and destroyed right in front of him along with a big fine.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #33
IcePick06

Drives: '12 AGM ZL1 (SOLD); '07 Ducati 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
That's what I always thought. That's why I never bought one. MY buddies have them ,and they still get tickets. One had his taken from him in VA and destroyed right in front of him along with a big fine.
I would've sued the cop for destroying my personal property...sometimes cops do things that just downright piss me off. The badge doesn't make you God. Give the guy a fine, but don't destroy his stuff...keep it professional and move along with the rest of your day.

FWIW, I bought mine to keep from getting tickets 5-10mph over the limit. I don't run around the streets doing 100mph everywhere I go.
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:27 PM   #34
Fiveg56

Drives: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePick06 View Post
I would've sued the cop for destroying my personal property...sometimes cops do things that just downright piss me off. The badge doesn't make you God. Give the guy a fine, but don't destroy his stuff...keep it professional and move along with the rest of your day.

FWIW, I bought mine to keep from getting tickets 5-10mph over the limit. I don't run around the streets doing 100mph everywhere I go.
If they are illegal in VA, the cop could seize it. Not an issue.
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:30 PM   #35
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePick06 View Post

Yeah, I want to really start messing with the cops over a radar detector. I don't think so.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:13 AM   #36
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Cause generally speaking speed limits are for stupid people, people who can't drive, and people who don't pay attention, Its one of those rules that lumps all drivers together.

An intelligent good driver knows what speeds are safe for what driving conditions.
Lets face it, all a speed limit is , is some other persons idea of what speed is safe for an unknown vehicle and driver quality.

I'll be honest, I've been driving for 34 years with no accidents. I drive the speeds I want to for any given condition, and sometimes that is slower than posted limits, sometimes its faster.

I also don't own a cellphone, eat while I'm driving, listen to music or other distracting activities, I pay attention to the road and what others around me are doing or may decide to do, and constantly check my mirrors,blind spots and monitor my gauges.

I know my cars and I know their condition, state of tune and capabilities within a safe margin. I do not push them beyond what is safe, and what they or I are capable.
Legal?...by the word of the law, NO.
Requires a radar detector, sometimes.
You asked for a reason. This is mine.
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:51 AM   #37
EvilZL1
Snake Eater

Drives: 2012 AGM ZL1
I will be investing in a V1

Make sure you don’t forget to subscribe to my channel! More content on the way. Like, share with your friends
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Z...sP2wjsLLFeP1zQ

Follow me on instagram:
http://www.instagram.com/snkeatr/
EvilZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:29 AM   #38
jazznurse

Drives: 2012 ZL1;2011 Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Not everyone, I've never owned a radar detector in my life ...

DITTO!
Old 05-07-2012, 04:01 AM   #39
jelly2m8

Drives: GM 2 seaters
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Do you drive at or under the speed limit? Or do you go with traffic?

Let's say your driving on a highway which has a 55 mph speed limit. Traffic is going around 75 - 80. You see a cop sitting in the median and don't think anything of it because "you're going with traffic." Well what do you know, the cop sees you in your new ZL1 and pulls you over. He decides that "going with traffic" isn't an excuse for you to be doing 10 - 15 over. You go to court, and what do you know; the Judge doesn't care that you were "going with traffic." You're now stuck with the ticket and the court fees.

Now, if you had a Valentine1 this would have been a different story. You're going with traffic, doing 10 -15 over, when all of a sudden your V1 starts beeping. You don't see a cop, but slow down to the speed limit anyway. Well a mile down the road you see a cop sitting in the median clocking people. You drive by doing the speed limit, and don't get a ticket.
Couldn't have said it any better than myself.

I got a speeding ticket last fall in just that scenerio, was driving my wifes Techno Blue ( similiar color to ABM ) SX4 and got a ticket for going 126 KPH in a 110 KPH zone while I was amongst and following traffic.

For the hell of it I asked him why he pulled me over and not one of the others, he simply replied ' You stood out'.
jelly2m8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #40
stymie

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Windshields for ZL1s are kind of pricey due to the coating for the HUD. Guess what? That coating drastically reduces the "range" of even the best detectors on the market including V1. The ONLY way to defeat that handicap is by going "stealth" & mount your detector behind the grill with readouts in the vicinity of your dash.

Yeah, I HATE ticket tension too & I definitely want to know when I'm being singled out. Then again, nothing beats VASCAR from aircraft.
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #41
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie View Post
Windshields for ZL1s are kind of pricey due to the coating for the HUD. Guess what? That coating drastically reduces the "range" of even the best detectors on the market including V1. The ONLY way to defeat that handicap is by going "stealth" & mount your detector behind the grill with readouts in the vicinity of your dash.

Yeah, I HATE ticket tension too & I definitely want to know when I'm being singled out. Then again, nothing beats VASCAR from aircraft.
I disagree. Your grille is probably the last place you want to put a radar detector. If you put it there, every car/truck/bus/etc in front of you is potentially/probably blocking the detector and reducing its "range." I believe every manufacturer will tell you to mount the detector as high as possible for this very reason.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #42
stymie

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
I doubt that a detector will do you much good if you happen to be "tailgating" the vehicle(s) infront of your car. Obviously, exceeding the limit isn't advisable under those conditions, either. Unless you can disguise your unit as part of the roof fin antenna, well... 'nuff said. Under the sun visor would be wonderful, IF it weren't for the HUD coating & the dangle cord indicating your intention to "break-the-LAW" to a revenue enhancement officer in tough economic times for Cities, everywhere. Of course, YMMV... as always! Cordless? They work ON/OFF in nano-seconds... feel lucky?

Most of the LE I'm acquainted with "shoot" the license plate due to it's highly reflective nature. Heck, what do I know... I only spent 3 decades as a civil engineer.
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote