Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 03-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
Vette TPI

Drives: 1987 Corvette TPI
Red face Some help before going to track

I got a 1987 Corvette, the engine is rated for 240 HP @ 4000 RPM, 345lb-ft @ 3200 RPM. And I have the automatic transmission, think its the four speed. Never been to the 1/4 to race before. Do I start in first and go through the gears? Also what rpm range do I shift at if I do in fact shift it? Sorry for all the dumb questions.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
attymf

Drives: 2017 SS
Just put it in drive and hold the car with your left foot on the brake and right foot on the gas around 1800 RPM's. When light turns green take foot off brake and and push gas to the floor.

After 1/4 mile take right foot off gas and place gently on the brake pedal.

Collect time slip that says 14.6 and repeat....

SS, A8, Procharger, M&T's and stuff...
attymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
Vette TPI

Thank you didn't know if I was suppose to shift like the tap shifting 6 speeds now. Can't wait to go
Old 03-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
speedmon

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette TPI View Post
Thank you didn't know if I was suppose to shift like the tap shifting 6 speeds now. Can't wait to go
Where is littleton? is that in CO?

Change your trans fluid or just make sure its clear red before you go.
Make sure your tires are good and have good pressure.

Find some deserted road in the forest there and practice launching from a stop up to 50 or 60......you'll figure it out. Time yourself with a stop watch.... and see if you can improve. Please keep eyes on the road.

That car was state of art when it was built....TPI...I love the front section.. the way it tilts forward and you can see the whole engine and front suspension......very cool car. They are very dependable.....I've seen some with 300K+ miles.
speedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
Vette TPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmon View Post
Where is littleton? is that in CO?

Littleton, CO.

Change your trans fluid or just make sure its clear red before you go.
Make sure your tires are good and have good pressure.

Perfect color, what PSI should I have on rear tires? all I got is streets for a long time.

Find some deserted road in the forest there and practice launching from a stop up to 50 or 60......you'll figure it out. Time yourself with a stop watch.... and see if you can improve. Please keep eyes on the road.

Sounds obtainable

That car was state of art when it was built....TPI...I love the front section.. the way it tilts forward and you can see the whole engine and front suspension......very cool car. They are very dependable.....I've seen some with 300K+ miles.

She has proven very worth while so far, she had just barely 107k on her and I'm close to 107.2. Love seeing the suspension too!
These were completely black, but came out new with a plain rag.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:59 PM   #6
speedmon

Well the tires shouldn't be flat.... the run is only 15 seconds, so whatever the recommended is should be fine. If you do a prolonged burnout to heat up the rears, it will raise the pressure, but ...... are you gonna light em up?

The purpose of practicing is just so you feel more comfortable when your at the track and the lights are flashing and the prostocker is roaring next to you....Do you have to wear a helmet? You should. Practice your start routine before you go.......and take all the loose stuft out of your car.
Get in the car,
Roll down windows
Put on your seatbelts
Start the car
Put on your helmet, secure it.
Put on gloves?
Get ready for the wave into position from the worker
Stage the car
Maybe a burnout, ?
Check Gauges
Reverse, restage
Check Gauges
Wait for Green (give the prostocker guy an evil eye)
Full throttle and hold it straight

Something like that....

I have to go though that in my head because more that once I've put my gloves on then I can't strap on my helmet. Or I put my helmet on and then I can't put my seat belt on, because I can't see down with my helmet on......so......have fun!

PS...don't have much fuel...less than 1/4 tank....see if you can get some 105 octane at the track.

Does your car have the digital dash? That was very cool at the time.....very spaceship like.

Last edited by speedmon; 03-08-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
Vette TPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmon View Post
Well the tires shouldn't be flat.... the run is only 15 seconds, so whatever the recommended is should be fine. If you do a prolonged burnout to heat up the rears, it will raise the pressure, but ...... are you gonna light em up? I could light them up, not sure if any gain will be had with traction since they are streets.

The purpose of practicing is just so you feel more comfortable when your at the track and the lights are flashing and the prostocker is roaring next to you....Do you have to wear a helmet? You should. Practice your start routine before you go.......and take all the loose stuft out of your car. There is never anything in this car free chilling.
Get in the car,
Roll down windows
Put on your seatbelts
Start the car
Put on your helmet, secure it.
Put on gloves?
Get ready for the wave into position from the worker
Stage the car
Maybe a burnout, ?
Check Gauges
Reverse, restage
Check Gauges
Wait for Green (give the prostocker guy an evil eye)
Full throttle and hold it straight

Something like that....

I have to go though that in my head because more that once I've put my gloves on then I can't strap on my helmet. Or I put my helmet on and then I can't put my seat belt on, because I can't see down with my helmet on......so......have fun!

PS...don't have much fuel...less than 1/4 tank....see if you can get some 105 octane at the track. Will check into that.

Does your car have the digital dash? That was very cool at the time.....very spaceship like. Yep I have the digital dash. You can check my build thread in the signature.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
Vette TPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by attymf View Post
Just put it in drive and hold the car with your left foot on the brake and right foot on the gas around 1800 RPM's. When light turns green take foot off brake and and push gas to the floor.
I took the car out for a little mess around in an empty parking lot just to work on my launching. And 1800 is a little to high for the asphalt? Was just spinning them, maybe couple hundred less? Or will a well prepped track keep the tires from spinning?
Old 03-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
Aries240SS

Drives: 2011 1SS RS Camaro, 1995 LSX 240SX
A well prepped track may keep you from spinning. Really depends on the tires though. You may find that the better launch is to bring it to 1800 and then roll into the gas instead of stabbing it right to the floor. Stock tires don't like the driveline shock of a hard launch and will spin if given a chance.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #10
Vette TPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries240SS View Post
A well prepped track may keep you from spinning. Really depends on the tires though. You may find that the better launch is to bring it to 1800 and then roll into the gas instead of stabbing it right to the floor. Stock tires don't like the driveline shock of a hard launch and will spin if given a chance.
Thanks! I wasn't stabbing the throttle after the launch cause I was like... "I think she just got her butt sliding." I held at 1800 and felt some spinning but just let off the brake and that same steady fuel pedal pressure kept em spinning. Hope the track keeps em still for the launch.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:32 AM   #11
speedmon

Good! Practice makes perfect.

I don't think a parking lot is a very safe place to test, but you be the judge...I said deserted road in forest...you don't want to run over a skateboader....or get busted by the law.

Remember though you don't want wheel spin when you launch.
Thats why Drag dudes light the tires up...to heat em up for more grip.

Try this.
Learn how to Purch your car.
Your car is purched when your l.foot is on the brake and r.foot on the throttle at the same time with just enough throttle at that moment just before your tires break loose.....practice launching out of a purch....and getting to 40mph without braking the tires loose. Don't look at your dash, don't worry about some arbitrary number on the tach. Every car is different. Learn how to maximize your acceleration.

You have to feel it.....tires, through suspension, through frame, through seat to your butt.....yes feel it with your butt! I take all of my seat padding out so my butt is better connected with the car.

Next time you go set up a video cam so we can see your launch and try to give you more intelligent feedback.

Be careful...don't run over anybody.

PS....This process of braking and launching repeatedly places abnormal stress and wear on yuour equipment. Before each time out check you equipment and just make sure things are OK....brake pads, tires, axles, etc. It takes less time to check than it does to call for a tow.

Last edited by speedmon; 03-09-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #12
cam99

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Don't let off the gas right when you pass the scoreboard at the end of the track. You don't actually finish your time and break the beam till after you pass it. Told tracks do this so people don't try and read their time as they pass. I was letting off early the first time I went and ET sure does suffer!

2012 ZL1 (sold)
JRE 75rwhp kit
catless
ported lsa TB

11.04 @ 128.35
on hoosier drs and skinnies
@ PRP with 1100DA
cam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #13
Vette TPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam99 View Post
Don't let off the gas right when you pass the scoreboard at the end of the track. You don't actually finish your time and break the beam till after you pass it. Told tracks do this so people don't try and read their time as they pass. I was letting off early the first time I went and ET sure does suffer!
Thanks for the advice, I think our track might have a little FINISH sign along the little side walls.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #14
TornadoSS
WICKDSS

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IOM LS3
Also, if it hasn't been mentioned yet, don't wait until the light is green! If you do we call that a really slow reaction time. Try to leave right when you see the last yellow light come on, the car will roll out and cut a good reaction time (rt). But for the first couple passes just practice launching and don't worry about leaving on the last yellow. Have fun!
TornadoSS is offline   Reply With Quote