Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
Vette TPI

Drives: 1987 Corvette TPI
Agree or Disagree?

Here is a story I found on TheSmokingTire.com so do you agree or disagree. I agree with Jeremy honestly.

Quote:
We’ve all bought something without thinking about the hidden costs. My parents bought me a Game Gear, not realizing how many times they’d be replacing 6 AA batteries. Your speeding ticket might have some totally unnecessary “court fees” attached. You know, for carrying that big, heavy, radioactive check you gave them. Of course, the biggest culprit-outside of marriage or college- is cars.

For example, the super cars we drool over have an MSRP, but good luck getting them at that price, at least initially. Then there’s taxes, and service costs usually associated with neurosurgery. This underestimation can occur at any tax bracket or price point.

But when it comes to tires, the super cars really excel, er, suck. How many new super car press releases have you read that include, “It required special tires, designed and developed by ____.”? I’m not talking only about Veyrons, or that truck that reminds me of a hidden church bell ringer, the LM002. Certain Porsches, Ferraris, Koenigseggs, etc, “required” a special tire, because their car is too good, fast, wide, fancy, or exclusive to make do with the countless designs already available. It’s like these cars are being built by a bored, smothering mom. “My Jimmy likes a pillow on his desk chair, but not too fluffy, or it bothers his back.” We have many chairs, your son (engineers) should be able to find one that works.

It’s that rubbery exclusivity that has Jeremy Clarkson right pissed off. Why should it take weeks to find a tire for his Black Series? Or the new 911? Why would a car company sell a car to country that has to import tires from the moon? If, like me, you are a fan of information delivered in the form of witty rants, you’ll want to read his. Preach on, Clarkson, we’re behind you.