#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 09-19-2019, 09:47 AM   #85
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneplustwo View Post
Anyone with a Whipple have any insight as to what to expect from the Sport 1/2 PTM modes at the track? I fear the extra power/torque will render the nannies somewhat less effective?

It seems just from driving around town that I can spin the wheels at will in a straight line in 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear. Perhaps it will dial back in a corner to reduce slip angles? Obviously, I'm chicken to go anywhere close to the limit on the street but would love any insight for what to expect on track.
The PTM adjusts really well in my experience. I typically run it in Track/Race, but will run Sport 1 or 2 in the wet and it's very effective.

2017 1SS 1LE - 663 whp/623 wtq
Rotofab/Whipple/Kooks 2"/LT5 TB/LT4 Fueling/E85/MCS Coilovers/Ground Control/GOODAero/Apex Wheels/Race Louvers
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:03 AM   #86
oneplustwo

Drives: 2018 Torch Red SS 1LE with Whipple
Excellent! That’s great to hear. I tend to run in sport 1 or 2. Maybe I’ll venture into race this year as I’ll have a half dozen days with the car by then.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:57 AM   #87
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
If you've become accustomed to driving cars with stability and traction control, don't be in too much of a hurry to dial their assistance back. Especially having added a significant amount of power/torque and changed the shape of the torque curve.

Norm
Old 09-19-2019, 03:23 PM   #88
oneplustwo

Indeed! I have no ego in this... getting the car home in one piece is the top priority. I've used track mode/race here and there and have a reasonable amount of confidence at Sonoma (~1:53 consistently, 1:51 if I push) so I think I'll continue to dabble here and there to better develop my skills while better understanding the dynamics of what I do vs what the car does. That said, I feel like I'm starting over somewhat with the extra power/torque of the Whipple plus the difference in the weight both in terms of how much and where it is. So I'll take it slowly for sure.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #89
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneplustwo View Post
... I feel like I'm starting over somewhat with the extra power/torque of the Whipple plus the difference in the weight both in terms of how much and where it is.
You are. It's not the car that you're used to any more.

Quote:
So I'll take it slowly for sure.
Good call.

Let me further suggest that if (when) you get a "holy s$#% this thing's fast!!!" feeling, you've momentarily gone at least to the very edge of what you're fully ready to cope with. Be safe. Have fun, but be safe about it.

Norm
Old 09-30-2019, 10:44 PM   #90
oneplustwo

Happy to report the car and I got home in one piece after my hooked on driving day at Sonoma today. It was a cool but sunny day and the car had zero problems with heat as it relates to limp mode or high oil/water temps.

At first, I just used straight up track mode, no PTM. It was very aggressive in holding back power. But I figured it was fine to artificially hold myself back for the first couple sessions out. Moved to Sport 1 for the second half of the day. Probably could have moved to Sport 2, my normal mode, as I was pretty comfortable with the adjustment in speeds, new reference points, etc. by then. I wasn't timing myself, again, in an effort to try not to push too hard. But in talking with the guys I was pacing with, I was likely around my PR times without the supercharger. Definitely still have a lot of potential to wring out of it.
Old 03-07-2023, 10:26 AM   #91
LANDFILL

Drives: '18 SS 1LE
Reviving this thread.

Being in lovely CA we have the smog n@zis to deal with, so I've pretty much written off headers + H/C but would love 500whp~.. I will be using my car for some track days, but for now I have a dedicated M3 that's 99% track use.

The thing that scares me is a clogged cat. Is this fairly common with boosted LT1s on stock headers/cats? Heat seems easy enough to manage, no harm in doing a cool down lap once or twice in a 20 min session.
LANDFILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 07:01 AM   #92
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
You're not going to overheat. I've run my 2300 maggie equipped SS on fast tracks in 90 degree heat on many occasions. I run in the advanced group and am definitely not babying the car at all. On fast tracks like Road Atlanta, I am faster than any stock SS1LE that I have run with, which is entirely due to the extra power. I have several buddies with stock SS1LE's who are equal or better drivers and they can't hang with me.
Other than the larger grill opening, the cooling system is the same as a ZL1. I would think that a maggie or Whipple equipped SS running 8 - 10 lbs of boost would run cooler than a stock ZL1 since the blower would be spinning a good bit slower. I recommend slapping that Whipple on your SS1LE and getting with Ted for the tune. I also should have mentioned that I run e50 exclusively on track das.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 06:34 PM   #93
LANDFILL

Drives: '18 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
You're not going to overheat. I've run my 2300 maggie equipped SS on fast tracks in 90 degree heat on many occasions. I run in the advanced group and am definitely not babying the car at all. On fast tracks like Road Atlanta, I am faster than any stock SS1LE that I have run with, which is entirely due to the extra power. I have several buddies with stock SS1LE's who are equal or better drivers and they can't hang with me.
Other than the larger grill opening, the cooling system is the same as a ZL1. I would think that a maggie or Whipple equipped SS running 8 - 10 lbs of boost would run cooler than a stock ZL1 since the blower would be spinning a good bit slower. I recommend slapping that Whipple on your SS1LE and getting with Ted for the tune. I also should have mentioned that I run e50 exclusively on track das.

Sounds good man. I was also thinking maybe procharger may be the move since it's not mounted on top of the engine. That with a larger oil cooler, and maybe heat exchanger on corn would be fine. I would be totally happy with a low boost reliablity tune too, something like 500-525 whp. That's more than enough for the CA tracks.
LANDFILL is offline   Reply With Quote