Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 10-07-2020, 12:52 AM   #1
HAMBO

Drives: Supercharged 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
Battery keeps dying...

Hi everyone,

Having some problems with my battery draining. Normally was driving the car everyday, but now that I’m working from home and only driving it about once a week I seem to be having a problem. If the car sits there for 5-6 days, I’ll try to start it and it’ll crank a bit but not start. If I boost with a battery pack it starts. So now I’m plugging it in for a few hours once a week with a battery charger and it’s ok, but that doesn’t seem sustainable. Battery is only about 5 months old.

I used my multimeter to check the parasitic load. With the car off I got a power draw of 6 amps, which seems crazy high. I went through a pulled each of the fuses to see where it’s coming from. Seems most of it is coming from the Radio fuse, some from the Air Conditioner fuse, and a little from the Battery fuse.

That’s about the end of my mechanic skills. Any suggestions on what to do? Do I need to replace my stereo and AC?

Thanks for any help.

HAMBO
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
1967 Bolero Red 396 SS/RS Convertible
HAMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:17 AM   #2
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
6 amp parasitic draw is insane

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:02 AM   #3
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Is your stereo aftermarket or stock? Has any part of your stereo system been “messed” with. Does your stereo turn off if engine is off and drivers door is opened? Try testing draw before you open the drivers door and then after opening it, seeing if the draw drops after the system is suppose to shut off. Try disconnecting each piece then see what draw is. Amp, head unit, etc. once you get it isolated to a specific device then look at wiring to that device, pinched wire causing hot wire voltage to ground, hence draining battery. It might just as easily be a circuit board inside your stereo or amp.
Troubleshooting this type of issue can get tedious and $$ if you pay the dealer to chase it. Good luck and sometimes it’s an easy find and you get lucky.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:07 AM   #4
HAMBO

Thanks. It’s the stock, Boston Acoustics stereo
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:42 AM   #5
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMBO View Post
Thanks. It’s the stock, Boston Acoustics stereo
I would suggest putting a battery tender on it so you keep the battery charged, at least until you get the amperage drain figured out or drive it more. This covid has wreaked havoc on cars just sitting.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:37 AM   #6
jimrhodes

Drives: chevrolet camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
I would suggest using mba essay writing service or putting a battery tender on it so you keep the battery charged, at least until you get the amperage drain figured out or drive it more. This covid has wreaked havoc on cars just sitting.

Yeah, I would recommend that same. This problem must be so annoying for you!

Last edited by jimrhodes; 10-26-2020 at 02:51 AM.
jimrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:20 PM   #7
HAMBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrhodes View Post
Yeah, I would recommend that same. This problem must be so annoying for you!
Thanks. Yes I bought one and it has worked well. Problem is I can't keep it plugged in throughout the day since I don't have an outlet nearby and need to run an extension cord into my house...I find if I plug it in for a few hours once a week I'm good (and I keep a portable battery booster in the car).

Would like to bring it in for service, I'm just worried something like this could take countless hours to properly solve and be very expensive...
Old 10-07-2020, 12:21 PM   #8
HAMBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_g View Post
6 amp parasitic draw is insane

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I couldn't believe it when I saw it either...maybe (was actually hoping) my multimeter was broken!