Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-19-2020, 05:28 PM   #15
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Stable valvetrain is important. But also keep in mind with the factory oil pump, oil cavitation starts around 7k rpms.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:20 PM   #16
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_SS10 View Post
Stable valvetrain is important. But also keep in mind with the factory oil pump, oil cavitation starts around 7k rpms.
Always wondered at what RPM that started on these. Do you know if that differs from L99 to the LS3?
Old 06-19-2020, 07:47 PM   #17
NEstyle

Drives: Caprice
Quote:
But plenty of people go beyond 7k, myself included. I'm not saying there is no harm in doing so, but is there any proof out there supporting that spinning a stock oil pump over 7k causes damage? Does it cause a loss of oil pressure? I will have to look at my logs.
NEstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:03 AM   #18
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
The higher you go the more your liable to valve float, cavitate, spin it until you grenade it. Most springs are only tested to 7k as with cams, so you may want to use that for a guide, a stock limiter on a l99 is even lower than a ls3, and My tuner will not raise them unless you have built the top end for stability also a good thing for longevity for the springs which do have to be changed out as preventative maintenance down the road...….. most don't go beyond 7k as you see your torque dropping way before that with most cams.....Good Luck
Old 06-21-2020, 08:49 AM   #19
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajefe Couple View Post
Always wondered at what RPM that started on these. Do you know if that differs from L99 to the LS3?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEstyle View Post
But plenty of people go beyond 7k, myself included. I'm not saying there is no harm in doing so, but is there any proof out there supporting that spinning a stock oil pump over 7k causes damage? Does it cause a loss of oil pressure? I will have to look at my logs.
The oil pump is spinning at crank speed. An aftermarket pump will help alleviate the problem.

Here are a few links that talk about oil pump cavitation.

http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-pu...ump-p-486.html

https://www.streetmusclemag.com/tech...han-just-flow/

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/201...d-troublesome/

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-te...volume-better/
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:30 PM   #20
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
For what it's worth, this is what my pressure looks like at 7600rpm - stock pump.
Attached Images

GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:44 PM   #21
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Here is a 1-4 hit, with oil pressure plotted with a pretty small scale so you can really see it dropping and climbing. It does start to trickle off with the revs up real high - but I wouldn't say it's dramatic at all. Oil is LS30, so pretty thin and light.

So, I woudn't call the oil pump a must do, but not a bad idea.
Attached Images

GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:32 AM   #22
KevinHoward8509

Drives: 2014 camaro ss 1LE
lots of good info.

Appreciate all the input.

As i will mostly be street racing in mexico within reason every tenth of a second is not a deal break. i will probably set the rev limiter to 6600 on the car as peak power is around 6400-6500 and go from there. the main thing for me is not over spinning the engine or valvetrain its over spinning the procharger.
KevinHoward8509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:44 PM   #23
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Procharged on stock ring gap and powdered rods/cast pistons? RPM may not be your first issue.

RPM wise, depends how reliable you want it to be. To be reliable at 7K it took titanium rods, Ti int valves and lightweight pistons on the LS7. A stock LS3 rotating assembly has it's safe limit about 6600 maybe plus a couple hundred. The trouble with a heavy cast piston above 7K is ripping the wrist pin out of the bottom. Way over revving it puts micro fractures throughout the piston in the pin bore area. I've seen engines that pulled one wrist pin, and you could see the cracks forming in the other pistons under magnification and dye.

Until it has opened up ring gap, I'd hold off on the long WOT pulls. Long supercharged WOT pulls will butt stock ring gap and break the ring lands.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:30 AM   #24
jimrhodes

Drives: chevrolet camaro
Quote:
The oil pump is spinning at crank speed. An aftermarket pump will help alleviate the problem.

Here are a few links that talk about oil pump cavitation.

http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-pu...ump-p-486.html

https://www.streetmusclemag.com/tech...han-just-flow/

uk best essay

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-te...volume-better/
I will use these links too! Thank you for sharing them.

Last edited by jimrhodes; 07-06-2020 at 07:54 AM.
jimrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:53 AM   #25
Bartbart

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
I lowered my rev limiter. Last time i broke a rocker and cost me a shit ton of $ in repairs. I lowered it to 5500 i think
Bartbart is offline   Reply With Quote