Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-15-2017, 04:52 PM   #29
VelvetHammer

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS, A8, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
FYI GM switched to full synthetic within the last year. Just had my first at the dealer and confirmed the same.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I work at a dealership and can confirm that AC Delco 5W30 is now full synthetic. While not the same formulation as Mobil1 (Mobil1 cannot be repackaged/re-branded, I asked) it is a Mobile product, repackaged Mobil Super Synthetic. Information courtesy of the local Mobil distributor and inquiring minds.
Gone but not forgotten:
1978 Dark Blue-Green Z28 w/1970 LT1 power
1978 Bright Blue Z28
1976 Light Blue RS
1973 Green-Gold LT
VelvetHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:53 PM   #30
CruzySS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
Haha..yea maybe we should edit their manuals for them. I changed my oil early to. The oil has a chrome finish in it that the filter doesn't catch.
CruzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:43 PM   #31
djfury05

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwober View Post
Things have changed, dealers are required to confirm less than 25 percent oil life before performing free maintenance. I wouldn't leave the dealer just for following the rules. Just my opinion.

Jim
Wrong. I just had my oil changed at 1000 miles for free.
djfury05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:06 PM   #32
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGG_FRANCO View Post
I even asked shouldn't I still get it done to clean out particulate matter due to being broken into James at gateway Chevy said these are new cars and don't need it done so early
Unless the engine somehow comes "pre broken in" from the factory, I call BS. They're trying to claim that all metal surfaces in the engine block, moving metal parts, gaskets, etc have somehow been engineered such that they don't deposit a higher amount of crud into the engine when fresh from the factory? It's kind of just physics. When something is brand new off the assembly line and has never seen any real-world use, friction and stresses on the newly built engine are inevitably going to cause some materials, even if its on a micron level, to break free. Over time, this will be less and less.

Sounds like the guy is quoting (or misquoting?) some training he got. The only way Chevy could ever back up this claim is if they take engines off actual assembly lines, run them in a controlled environment for a while, and send the oil off for lab analysis. Now, that could be totally possible, but when a claim is suddenly made like this that goes against past conventional wisdom, I'd be wary. It certainly doesn't *hurt* to get the first oil change done even if it ended up being prematurely.

Quote:
FYI GM switched to full synthetic within the last year. Just had my first at the dealer and confirmed the same.
Yes, Dexos, which some people confuse as a brand but is actually an oil "standard", has been redefined to full synthetic. I believe the new formulation is now being used in all cars that took the old formulation, i.e.: 5th gen and 6th gen Camaros, and probably many other cars. In terms of life of the oil itself and how long it takes to begin to break down, it is supposedly much better.

However, this only means you might be able to get away with longer intervals for oil change one you've hit regular maintenance. For the initial oil change, I'd still imagine that should be done a bit sooner.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:35 PM   #33
BIGG_FRANCO

Drives: 2017 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
Unless the engine somehow comes "pre broken in" from the factory, I call BS. They're trying to claim that all metal surfaces in the engine block, moving metal parts, gaskets, etc have somehow been engineered such that they don't deposit a higher amount of crud into the engine when fresh from the factory? It's kind of just physics. When something is brand new off the assembly line and has never seen any real-world use, friction and stresses on the newly built engine are inevitably going to cause some materials, even if its on a micron level, to break free. Over time, this will be less and less.

Sounds like the guy is quoting (or misquoting?) some training he got. The only way Chevy could ever back up this claim is if they take engines off actual assembly lines, run them in a controlled environment for a while, and send the oil off for lab analysis. Now, that could be totally possible, but when a claim is suddenly made like this that goes against past conventional wisdom, I'd be wary. It certainly doesn't *hurt* to get the first oil change done even if it ended up being prematurely.

Yes, Dexos, which some people confuse as a brand but is actually an oil "standard", has been redefined to full synthetic. I believe the new formulation is now being used in all cars that took the old formulation, i.e.: 5th gen and 6th gen Camaros, and probably many other cars. In terms of life of the oil itself and how long it takes to begin to break down, it is supposedly much better.

However, this only means you might be able to get away with longer intervals for oil change one you've hit regular maintenance. For the initial oil change, I'd still imagine that should be done a bit sooner.

Thanks man I will head to a different dealer next week for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BIGG_FRANCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:55 PM   #34
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
No, GM doesn't care when you do your two changes for free, If it's in the first two years. Find another dealer.
That's true. Took my 14' in for an oil change after the first year with just 1200 miles.They tried to talk me out of it at first, but I insisted it be done and they did change it. Gotta put your foot down and be persistent.
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:34 AM   #35
RomanB

Drives: 2LT RS Yellow Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGG_FRANCO View Post
So went in for my first oil change and was told my car didn't need one at 2600 miles with 64 percent life left on it said these new cars aren't like that of the old...is this true??

Had oil change with 2900 miles this Friday. Service guy told me next oil change in 7000 miles.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:34 AM   #36
Bigdog9586

Drives: 2016 Z06 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwober View Post
Things have changed, dealers are required to confirm less than 25 percent oil life before performing free maintenance. I wouldn't leave the dealer just for following the rules. Just my opinion.

Jim
Camaro's and Corvettes get their 2 free anytime during the first 2 years because most of us store them for the winter and changevoil just before storing. This was a bulletin on the Corvette and applies to the Camaro with the Vette motor.
Bigdog9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:21 AM   #37
Donner

Drives: 2017 50th SS convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
No, GM doesn't care when you do your two changes for free, If it's in the first two years. Find another dealer.
+1 (mine at first was reluctant but after looking into it for me, the first 2 are free from GM for Camaros, regardless of miles).
Donner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #38
_MerF_

Drives: 2017 1LT A8 (SIM)
Quote:
I know my vote is it can't hurt to change it early.
But, does it accomplish anything? Or is it just wasteful?

2017 1LT (A8): 30% tint - Tinted taillights - Blackened bowties - Muffler delete
_MerF_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:20 PM   #39
show7ime

Drives: 2017 1SS Summit White
My dealership recommended at 1500/2000 miles for my first oil change.

show7ime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:40 PM   #40
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MerF_ View Post
But, does it accomplish anything? Or is it just wasteful?
Ask yourself this, do you side with the bean counters who just want the car to make it through the 5yrs/60K miles, or the engine builders/oil experts who say you need to get out the leftovers and additives from break in for longevity?

There's no right answer here, but personally I'm not going with the bean counters. That's not to say anyone will have a engine failure due to not changing the oil after break in.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote