The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-11-2015, 07:42 AM   #57
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
It's a travesty to the history of the SS badge! "SS" has always identified a level of sport trim and/or performance capability in an otherwise multi-faceted model of car (Camaro, Impala, Nova, etc.) - not a model name. I don't care if it is fast, comfortable, roomy, or whatever... it shouldn't have been named "SS". As the (ahem... 4-door) Charger insults the history of Charger muscle cars before it, so does the SS. I wouldn't buy one for that reason alone. I hope they discontinue it soon and NEVER bring it back.

3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:58 AM   #58
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
To the OP, have a look around the SS forum. Plenty of good people there that can answer all your questions while giving you plenty of real world feedback of the pluses and minuses the SS Performance Sedan offers.

Personally, I feel there isn't a RWD Performance Sedan for the $ of the Chevy SS (Holden Commodore VF) that gives as much content and performance. Hands down the SS is the most complete vehicle in class for the money.

It doesn't outperform the Camaro SS. Stock for stock the vehicles are equivalent in performance and yes I've owned both vehicles. Although IMO the SS Sedan does handle better. Some folks can't get past the sedate style of the vehicle. To those folks, they can buy a Charger if they'd rather look good, which doesn't touch the SS Sedan performance-wise, even in SRT form. (10K more when equipped the same way). It'll (SRT) beat the SS in 1320 but that's all.

Anyway, have a look around and see what you think.

BTW to the folks that don't think you can get parts for them.... you're way wrong. There are a lot of vendors offering everything from wheels/tires, superchargers, tunes, cold air kits, full exhaust, headers.... the only thing that's been tough to come by are catch cans.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured

Last edited by Frank in MD; 03-11-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:01 PM   #59
ctinatx

Drives: 2014 SS Sedan
I have a SS Sedan and it's a blast to drive. It indeed can be seen as a fast grocery getter.

As an owner I am always amused when people ask "What is it ?", "SS What ?", "Is that a Malibu/Impala ?", and since I put Holden badges on it "Is that a Peugeot ?"

Here's a link of some amusing anecdotes
Best Story/Comments about your SS. Let's hear them!
Old 03-11-2015, 03:20 PM   #60
DZ28

Drives: 2023 ZL1 M6 Riverside Blue
I have both. 2010 Camaro and 14 SS. I also have a 13 Malibu! SS and Malibu do not look alike. Very different profile on the road. Back to back I actually prefer the SS over the Camaro as a driver. I plan to sell the Camaro and buy another SS with M6.

I also owned 3 G8's; one was a GT with GXP fascias and the other two were both M6 GXP's. The SS is a vast improvement chassis wise and certainly interior wise over the G8. Get an SS while you can; rumored that 2016 is the last year for the car....
Old 03-12-2015, 03:10 PM   #61
Highland Ranger

Drives: 2014 CRT Convertible ZL1
ZL1 and SS

I have both . . . . enjoy the SS as a daily driver - any comparison questions fire away.
Highland Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:11 AM   #62
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Road & Track just did a SS vs. M5 (e39) comparison....

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...-chevrolet-ss/

The Comparison: 2003 BMW M5 vs. 2015 Chevrolet SS

With a V8, rear-wheel drive, and stick shift, the Chevy SS is a throwback to the third-gen BMW M5. But is it as good?

-----

"Everybody I know who's put a wheel off here has rolled."

So says senior editor Jason Cammisa of the tarmac snake running up Mount Tamalpais, near San Francisco. The pavement is damp, the gradient steep. Sod and twigs and leaves muddle the narrow pass. Through this morning fog, you could mistake Northern California for North Wales. Or Dagobah. It's not the kind of place you'd want to tempt with a fast, corn-fed, rear-wheel-drive sedan.

We've brought two.

Parked at a gravel turnoff is the 2015 Chevrolet SS, now available with a six-speed manual transmission and outfitted accordingly. Next to it is a 2003 BMW M5, near mint and Chiaretto Red over caramel leather. Arthurian relics are more easily obtained than this color combination. I'm content giving Cammisa first crack at the M5 and hairy two-lane while I hang back. When the big four-door reappears, his face is split wide, all teeth and dimples.

"It's magnificent," he says, "probably the best car BMW has ever built."

This from a man who's owned enough vintage Bavarian metal to fill a small continent. Cammisa suggests we make for California State Route 1, down Tamalpais and toward the Pacific coastline, in hopes of escaping the fog. Still giddy, he hands over the M5's toothy, old-school key. My turn.

It's been a while since I've sat inside a Ferrari 575M Maranello, but I'm convinced the M5's cockpit is every bit as sumptuous. Pedal placement and dash layout are ideal, and good luck finding a four-door sedan with a better seating position. Once we begin our descent, though, it only takes three rapid, off-camber switchbacks before the M5's warts start showing.

Steering feel was never this car's forte, and the recirculating-ball setup hasn't aged well. The gearbox is notchy. There's a wall of low-speed understeer. Traction control lights up at the first sniff of wheelspin. Frustrated, I drop back from Cammisa, far behind the Chevy's taillights, switch off stability control, and give the sport button a poke.

A moment of honesty: The M5 we borrowed is privately owned, and the tires were nearing rigor mortis. As a result, I only went nuclear for seven or eight miles. It was enough.

In the sharpest setting with electro-overrides off, the limited-slip diff is freed up to work its magic. Trees whip past. The road opens. With speed, the M5 sorts itself out. The tall, short-throw gear lever begins to cooperate, the suspension puts in work managing mass, and the chassis is left to strut its stuff. And by "strut its stuff," I mean "infect every fiber of your being with want," because it still feels so balanced 12 years on. Throttle response? Near preemptive. Nothing is this crisp or smooth, like all eight cylinders operate in some beautiful alternate universe where flywheels are weightless and friction isn't a thing. The V8's note isn't even loud, just a pure, growling churn, compounding over and over until 7000 rpm. Forget high-revving tens. Forget boosted sixes. This is what you're after.

But it's not just the engine or the diff or the chassis, it's the cohesiveness of the sum, how the M5 gets you into a trancelike, syncopated rhythm of trail braking and heel-toe changes and tidy corner-exit oversteer. In a rear-drive car on a winding road, isn't that what we all want? I share these thoughts with Cammisa as we stop for photos, and he nods emphatically. "With the exception of the old navigation system, this M5 could go into production today, and it would blow everyone's mind."

He's right. And so I'm left staring at the Chevrolet SS, hoping it's brought some serious artillery to this fight. Because that M5, idling confidently and hungry for another go at the mountain, has a damn war chest at its disposal.

Why have we brought these cars together, and what makes them so special? Understand that the E39 M5, produced between 1998 and 2003, comes from a high-water period for BMW road cars. During that era, the Bavarians were turning out a specific flavor of automobile: outwardly, status symbols with mass-market appeal; at heart, driver-focused and dynamically impeccable. The E39 is that ideology incarnate, sleeker, meaner, and more capable than any sport sedan prior. So when the folks at BMW M tuned one, they didn't just throw down the fast-four-door gauntlet. They spiked it through the earth's core and out the other side.

Of course, there was plenty of hoopla over the engine. The M5's calling card had long been a megapotent, 24-valve straight-six, derived from BMW's homologation-special M1, that scared the living sauerkraut out of 911 drivers on the autobahn. For the E39, said six was replaced by a mighty quad-cam V8, at the time the most advanced roadgoing example of its kind. The 4.9-liter used independent variable valve timing for each of the four camshafts (a feature also found in the McLaren F1's V12) and an electromagnetic, lateral-g-force-activated, semidry-sump oiling system involving no fewer than three pumps. Subsequent output, a tidy 394 hp, matched that of the Ferrari 360 Modena. The enthusiast media soiled its collective Unterhose.

Yet for all that voodoo between its fenders, the E39 M5 is a fundamentally simple creature. Its brilliance boils down to an engine (eight cylinders, non-turbo), bolted to a transmission (manual), running back to the rear wheels, delivered in sensible packaging (four-door sedan). It's a shame the next M5, a self-shifting V10 monstrosity, burned the blueprint so spectacularly when it arrived in the U.S. in 2005.

Robert A. Lutz, however, knows an archetype when he sees one. Before he became an R&T columnist, he was charged with righting the ship at Pontiac. The GM exec, a.k.a. "Maximum Bob," ordered up the screwball Pontiac G8 GXP, which paired a Corvette engine and gearbox with suspension geometry and dimensions eerily reminiscent of a 5 Series. These similarities were not coincidental. The G8 was a rebadged Australian-market Holden Commodore, developed entirely in Melbourne, where GM directed its top rear-drive engineers to evaluate the car against BMW sedans. Also along for the ride were a handful of eggheads who had helped develop the E39, as well as Holden's chassis tuner, Peter Hanenberger, a man known for benchmarking the Commodore against—you guessed it—an equivalent 5 Series. Alas, the GXP hit dealerships just months before Pontiac bit the bullet in 2009. And we were once again starved of a sport sedan made in the E39 M5's image.

Until the Chevrolet SS showed up.

Like the G8 before it, the SS borrows its Zeta chassis architecture from the Commodore, sized between the current Camaro and Chevy's Caprice police cruiser. Stashed under the hood is a 6.2-liter LS3 V8, producing 415 hp and 415 lb-ft of torque. Curb weight is 3935 pounds, and a clutch-type limited-slip differential is standard.

For 2015, the SS swaps nonadjustable shocks for Magnetic Ride Control (see: magnetorheological suspension, like that in the Corvette Stingray Z51). GM's close-ratio Tremec six-speed manual transmission, complete with a 3.70:1 axle ratio, becomes a no-cost option. (As in, you pay no monies and receive a manual gearbox. The best things in life, right?) Of course, you can still spec last year's six-speed paddle-shift automatic and taller 3.27:1 final drive, but you'd be missing the point entirely. Because the Chevy SS is now the only three-pedal, rear-drive sedan with room for five and enough naturally aspirated V8 grunt to give every passenger a hernia. Which raises the question: Could this be a rightful heir to the E39's throne?

The moment he hits the ignition button, Cammisa's impulse is to do a burnout. Mine, too. A massive burnout, something a SWAT team could use to disperse unruly protestors. We're all beasts of condition, big, slobbering Pavlovian dogs, and when the SS shimmies and snarls at start-up, it's ringing the Gen IV small-block bell.

"Everybody likes a bit of trashy," Cammisa admits.

Even so, he's having trouble warming up to the SS. It's like a raked 4x4 limousine next to the M5, and neither of us loves the Chevy's chrome body trinkets. But the broad, generic nose jibes with the sleeper-car motif, and the tail is all wide haunches and meaty 275-section rubber and cool duckbill trunk spoiler. Viewed dead-on at the rear from 10 paces, it looks the absolute business.

Still, that means zilch once you're peering down the hood bulge and pounding on California blacktop. The seating position is higher than in the BMW, more upright, and the SS tramples the road instead of massaging it. Those new magnetorheological dampers? They might as well be filled with granite.

One plunge into the throttle, though, and the caroming suspension is forgiven: This 6.2-liter lump delivers on every sinful crate-engine-catalog fantasy you've ever had. The noise is somewhere between Days of Thunder and the end of days. Max engine speed is a thrashy 6600 rpm, but there's no use swinging the tach needle north of 5900. Torque is everywhere, always. The entire experience is a singular, blunt, pushrod onslaught broken only by hanging moments of clutch engagement.

And, God, are those moments sweet. The heavy pedal and solid, resonating driveline thunk of this six-speed fit the Chevy's personality perfectly. It makes you want to play around with the car, actually get down and drive instead of just vigorously aiming the thing. If you're intent on hooning, the SS will hammer around and make raucous sounds and powerslide out of hairpins. It'll do that every day, half-trying, for the rest of eternity, until cockroaches die off and Twinkies expire. You can do all the Camaro stuff, and Camaro stuff is neat. But when you're ready to ante up to do M5 work, the SS really hits its stride.

Bend after bend, nearing highway speed, we're approching the limit. The Chevy's much bigger than the BMW and just as controlled—when it comes to braking and steering accuracy, it's better. But you've got to be deliberate and trust the car. We pour into a succession of third-gear esses that'd send some well-honed coupes tank-slapping toward a ditch. Instead, the SS politely steps out, asks for a bit of steering and throttle, then gets in line and back to wasting asphalt. It's as capable and composed as hairy-chested four-doors get, two tons of blue-collar killer. Even Cammisa, who has serious reservations about the ride quality, has to offer props: "Brutally fast and fantastically American. Or Australian. Whatever. But, man, is this thing brilliant on a back road."

The Chevy can't take the M5's crown, but not for a lack of thrills. Adjusting for inflation, the SS's sticker price is nearly half that of the M5's: In terms of overall build quality, a sub-$50,000 sedan today simply can't stand up to the flagship shrine of a great brand's greatest era. For everything the M5 offers in finesse, though, the SS answers in sheer cojones. Both are absolute dynamite.

The commonality here is a rounded competence, proof that cars can still feel elemental even through two tons of leather and electronics. Part of that is the healthy, all-motor V8. Part is the rear-drive layout and Q-car wrapper. The crux is a manual gearbox. Whether it's more impressive that BMW perfected this formula or that Chevrolet continues to deliver it in a time when nobody else will, I'm not sure.

To that point, the SS is only here because GM executive vice president Mark Reuss, a dyed-in-the-wool car guy, leveraged NASCAR marketing tie-ins to make it so. (His dad, Lloyd, a former head honcho at Buick, pulled a similar stunt delivering the Grand National GNX on the coattails of GM's turbo V6 Indy engine program.) Production numbers will be low, about 2500 annually, and when Holden disappears in a few years, the SS will likely die with it. BMW sold more than 20,000 examples of the E39 M5 worldwide. From volume play to niche dweller, 12 years represents an incredible paradigm shift. Also an alarming one.

People may not buy cars like this anymore, but they still seep into your soul. Drive one, and you'll know a fast sedan from a sedan that is fast. It's the difference between a manifest purpose and a latent function. And when the mountain road is foggy, out for blood, it's the difference between a snake charmer and a mouse.

Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:13 AM   #63
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
I saw an Impala SS on the road yesterday [not my picture below]:

From what I could find, this model (5.3L V8) did 0-60 in about 5.6 seconds, which is decent, but hard to understand with only a 303hp engine. Torque (over 300) and gearing must have been in its favor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrol...2.80.932013.29

Slapping the SS badge on a car don't make it sporty IMO. I wasn't impressed. It seems to me that GM splitting the SS off into its own model is a good thing. The 2014-2015 SS is leaps and bounds better than this.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:53 AM   #64
RB913

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
I just recently sold a 2008 Impala SS and the SS sedan is a huge improvement. I wanted RR drive and a six-speed, but it wasn't available. And yes, IMO it is rather bland looking, but quick and under the radar. Thank can be good. I think you'll see them modified as police cars soon, if not already. And I agree that tint would improve it's looks and maybe some different wheels. I really like the CTS-V too, but it's not being offered in a manual anymore and is out of my price range. Only the ATS-V will keep the manual. For the money and a pretty quick 4-dr sedan, and faster than a lot of cars out there, the SS sedan is a decent option. Everyone has their preferences.
RB913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:59 AM   #65
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
I saw an Impala SS on the road yesterday [not my picture below]:

From what I could find, this model (5.3L V8) did 0-60 in about 5.6 seconds, which is decent, but hard to understand with only a 303hp engine. Torque (over 300) and gearing must have been in its favor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrol...2.80.932013.29

Slapping the SS badge on a car don't make it sporty IMO. I wasn't impressed. It seems to me that GM splitting the SS off into its own model is a good thing. The 2014-2015 SS is leaps and bounds better than this.
It also grenaded transmissions on a regular basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB913 View Post
I just recently sold a 2008 Impala SS and the SS sedan is a huge improvement. I wanted RR drive and a six-speed, but it wasn't available. And yes, IMO it is rather bland looking, but quick and under the radar. Thank can be good. I think you'll see them modified as police cars soon, if not already. And I agree that tint would improve it's looks and maybe some different wheels. I really like the CTS-V too, but it's not being offered in a manual anymore and is out of my price range. Only the ATS-V will keep the manual. For the money and a pretty quick 4-dr sedan, and faster than a lot of cars out there, the SS sedan is a decent option. Everyone has their preferences.
Nah, law enforcement already gets the Caprice.

Which I think looks even better than SS.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:19 AM   #66
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
It's a travesty to the history of the SS badge! "SS" has always identified a level of sport trim and/or performance capability in an otherwise multi-faceted model of car (Camaro, Impala, Nova, etc.) - not a model name. I don't care if it is fast, comfortable, roomy, or whatever... it shouldn't have been named "SS". As the (ahem... 4-door) Charger insults the history of Charger muscle cars before it, so does the SS. I wouldn't buy one for that reason alone. I hope they discontinue it soon and NEVER bring it back.
I ignored this thread for the longest time because I knew there would be worthless comments like this one.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:18 PM   #67
RB913

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Nice pic FH65. Thanks.
RB913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:18 PM   #68
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
H
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
It also grenaded transmissions on a regular basis.

Why did it grenade the transmissions?

Nah, law enforcement already gets the Caprice.

Which I think looks even better than SS.
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #69
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Drove a 14 that thing is sweet! It's a great car!
Old 03-31-2015, 12:00 AM   #70
2ss-booya

Drives: 2015 SS Sedan M6
My wife had a 2014 SS and I liked it so much I ordered a 15 M6.
2ss-booya is offline   Reply With Quote