Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-13-2022, 10:55 PM   #1
Omar1

Drives: 2016 2SS Red Hot
Did my alternator go bad?

Recently my Camaro was completely dead after trying to turn it on. Had to jump start it a couple times. Took the battery to AutoZone and they tested it and they said it was only holding 5 volts. Bought a new one, it was time since it has been at least 4 years and also it spent several months parked where I only drove it once every few weeks. Worked fine for the next 3-4 days until today it was completely dead again. I had to jump start it. Also had the check engine light on and a new icon where the battery voltage should be on the dashboard. Looks sort of like an alternator to me with the arrow pointing to -15. It was only there for a few seconds before it went back to the battery voltage icon. Anyone know what it means?

https://i.imgur.com/l4BEhD1.jpeg
Old 01-13-2022, 11:00 PM   #2
Omar1

Drives: 2016 2SS Red Hot
In addition, I just discovered a water leak in the trunk. It was at least 2 inches high and got to the fuses back there because the screen is completely black when I drive and the signals do not make the clicking noise. Thats a whole other issue to tackle later, but could this have something to do with it? The trunk is very humid right now and the old battery I took off was soaked with humidity. Planning to dry it out asap with a blow dyer or something.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:34 AM   #3
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar1 View Post
Recently my Camaro was completely dead after trying to turn it on. Had to jump start it a couple times. Took the battery to AutoZone and they tested it and they said it was only holding 5 volts. Bought a new one, it was time since it has been at least 4 years and also it spent several months parked where I only drove it once every few weeks. Worked fine for the next 3-4 days until today it was completely dead again. I had to jump start it. Also had the check engine light on and a new icon where the battery voltage should be on the dashboard. Looks sort of like an alternator to me with the arrow pointing to -15. It was only there for a few seconds before it went back to the battery voltage icon. Anyone know what it means?

https://i.imgur.com/l4BEhD1.jpeg
That's the "turbo boost gauge" glitch (software bug). You probably won't see it again.

Dead batteries and low voltages do all sorts of weird things to our cars, including false positive CELs. Clear the CEL. If it returns, get it checked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar1 View Post
In addition, I just discovered a water leak in the trunk. It was at least 2 inches high and got to the fuses back there because the screen is completely black when I drive and the signals do not make the clicking noise. Thats a whole other issue to tackle later, but could this have something to do with it? The trunk is very humid right now and the old battery I took off was soaked with humidity. Planning to dry it out asap with a blow dyer or something.
There is a fuse block and a number of computer modules and audio system components in the trunk. Very easy for standing water to do Bad_Things(TM) back there. Get that leak fixed (probably rubber trim at top of trunk) and make sure everything is clean and dried out completely.
Your alternator is probably fine.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, battery, dead