Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 06-10-2015, 09:38 PM   #57
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
No.

With SAE certification it's guaranteed to make within a few (3?) % of its stated rating

You guys probably know more than I do but I have heard a lot of speculation about the Hellcat being underrated.

http://www.torquenews.com/106/2015-d...derrated-707hp
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:03 PM   #58
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradaj View Post
You guys probably know more than I do but I have heard a lot of speculation about the Hellcat being underrated.

http://www.torquenews.com/106/2015-d...derrated-707hp
Every single challenger is underrated.

Check out the forums.

The 6.4 makes about ~515.

5.7 ~400.

Hellcat ~750.

It still lost 70hp through the drivetrain. The 15% rule is just a guess and is less accurate the more hp you have. Think of it this way. Add 200 rwhp to the car and change nothing else. Your still going to get that same 70hp loss. But will be less of a percentage of total as hp increases.
Also the newer autos dont have the drivetrain loss they used to. All the newer autos are dynoing better. Especially the 8 speeds.

Ive even seen a hellcat dyno of 670rwhp. Still didnt bat an eye. Dyno numbers are all over the place.

Anyone who knows the industry wouldnt write an article like this. Its really annoying because half of the people on forums believe it. Someone should put an end to the bs.

Underrating ended around 2007 with the updated sae standard.

Last edited by ULTRAZLS1; 06-10-2015 at 11:36 PM.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:42 PM   #59
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Maybe they are underrated. J2723 is after all voluntary. All one needs to do, is for go the ability to advertise the newest SAE rating method. Which is actually not a new testing method, merely a verification process of J1995 and/or J1349.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:24 AM   #60
ULTRAZLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
Maybe they are underrated. J2723 is after all voluntary. All one needs to do, is for go the ability to advertise the newest SAE rating method. Which is actually not a new testing method, merely a verification process of J1995 and/or J1349.
It is voluntary. But it is listed as sae certified. If you undergo the testing the dyno is witnessed by an independent engineer and one from the manufacturer.

Guess I'm not following.

If it was so simple to undermine everything they are doing to set an equal standard for manufacturers what's the point? Sae would just fall apart in respect to verifying accurate hp numbers in the industry.

And why underrate a car that is 707hp? So sneaky lol... Is it going to be a sleeper if it makes 740? Better insurance rate? Just don't get the obsession.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:07 PM   #61
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
No mfg is going to try and purposely underrate a engine anymore unless they don't want to step up on big brothers toes. The Hellcat smashed the Viper engine output anyway so whats a little more? The Mustang has no big brother so its in their best interest to advertise the maximum amount possible. The more you can advertise, the more exposure you get, the more bragging rights you have. This translates to more sales and more profits.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:57 AM   #62
Cody6.2

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post

Check out the forums.

5.7 ~400.

Hellcat ~750.

It still lost 70hp through the drivetrain. The 15% rule is just a guess and is less accurate the more hp you have. Think of it this way. Add 200 rwhp to the car and change nothing else. Your still going to get that same 70hp loss. But will be less of a percentage of total as hp increases.
Also the newer autos dont have the drivetrain loss they used to. All the newer autos are dynoing better. Especially the 8 speeds.

Ive even seen a hellcat dyno of 670rwhp. Still didnt bat an eye. Dyno numbers are all over the place.

Anyone who knows the industry wouldnt write an article like this. Its really annoying because half of the people on forums believe it. Someone should put an end to the bs.

Underrating ended around 2007 with the updated sae standard.

On a side note it's nice to see someone else talk about realistic drivetrain loss.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:48 PM   #63
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSS24 View Post
I just got to listen to sound of the 5.2 Flat Plane Crank engine of the GT350 and R on Automobile.com. I cranked it up on my Bose speakers and went to the back of my house to hear how it sounds. Dayum...that thing sounded wicked. Then my brother yelled at me for making it so loud, then he asked kind of car was it. He asked if it was a Ferrari or Lambo. When I told him what kind of car it was he was like, "Why the hell would Ford make a car sound like that?" "Where's the rumble?" I just shrugged my shoulders. I told him it just doesn't have the muscle car sound anymore. Then he tells me, I hope your Camaro won't sound like that. I told him...HELL NO!!!!

Love the car, don't like how it sounds. But that's just me. What say you?

Let me guess your brothers name is Beavis and your Butthead?

Buttonwillow 2:23.736
Sacramento Raceway 12.89 at 112 mph
Thunderhill 2:22.242
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:26 PM   #64
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post

Check out the forums.

5.7 ~400.

Hellcat ~750.
They are not underrated, not anywhere to that degree.

Only on the Dodge forums do they agree to that.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:17 PM   #65
ULTRAZLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
They are not underrated, not anywhere to that degree.

Only on the Dodge forums do they agree to that.
That was the exact point of the post man.

I went on to explain it was bs...you should have read the rest
Old 06-16-2015, 11:46 PM   #66

Drives: Cadillac on four flats
Can't believe people are still are talking about underrated engines from mfg.

The thing is SAE numbers are the absolute lowest that that produced engines will make. Some will make exactly as advertise and some will make more than that 1% variance. But they will not make below advertise or more than 1% above advertised.
Loading..... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:07 AM   #67
ULTRAZLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loading..... View Post
Can't believe people are still are talking about underrated engines from mfg.

The thing is SAE numbers are the absolute lowest that that produced engines will make. Some will make exactly as advertise and some will make more than that 1% variance. But they will not make below advertise or more than 1% above advertised.
It's the mags and Internet reviews. They are constantly talking about it every time they strap a car to a dyno. Obviously some of these journalist are limited on their knowledge of the industry. I just wish for once someone would remove the engine and put it on a dyno with full factory exhaust and accessories and get the numbers. Extrapolating from a chassis dyno is guesswork.

Given today's build tolerances etc. your not going to have much of a variance in engine output from car to car all things equal. Probably very rarely outside of the 1% plus or minus. And I could be mistaken but I thought every engine going into a corvette or camaro is dyno tested before it is put in the car.