Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-05-2017, 02:00 PM   #71
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
Here are some pics of the new Elite Carbon Series system for the 2017+ Camaro ZL1
Is there an option for a non-oiled (dry) filter element?
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:18 PM   #72
k20attack

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 M6
How does the carbon fiber hold up when the ambient temperature is high and the engine bay temp is even higher? Does it deform in any way?
k20attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:10 PM   #73
Victoryred1le
Bupp Motorsports

Drives: 2017 Summit White ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwav8r View Post
Is there an option for a non-oiled (dry) filter element?
+1!!! The oiled filter is so ugly.
Victoryred1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:23 PM   #74
Ray_Dogg

Drives: ‘06 GTO(sold), ‘14 Audi S4, ‘17 ZL1
It will be interesting to see what the process is switching back to factory for dealer visits.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:01 AM   #75
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dogg View Post
It will be interesting to see what the process is switching back to factory for dealer visits.
Most dealerships don't care about bolt ons, i.e. a CAI. You can always ask ahead of time if they're good with it before you do it but it shouldn't be a big deal.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:51 AM   #76
SoCal Racer

Drives: C4,C6 Z06,Silverado,'17 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
Hello Everyone! A big Thank You to HyperBlueX2 for working with us on the development of this product. I had the opportunity to spend a lot time with him and he is a very knowledgeable car guy and a tremendous Camaro enthusiast. The MSRP for the Elite Carbon Series system for the 2017+ Camaro ZL1 has been set at $789.95. Thank you to everyone for your interest.
That price seems competitive/reasonable with the K&N Carbon, if you consider how much more Carbon structure there is. In looking at the photos though (beautiful btw), I am a little concerned about any flexibility as it seems to be...all...Carbon fiber. Any flex/item stress/integrity issues in testing? Just curious because other kits tend to have more soft tubing, but this appears to be solid carbon from the throttle body to the carbon filter box. Also, where is the opening to access the filter? Other models I can see screws on top, not on this one...which is a good thing, but I am wondering how to access it for cleanings and installation, etc. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dogg View Post
Quote:
Most dealerships don't care about bolt ons, i.e. a CAI. You can always ask ahead of time if they're good with it before you do it but it shouldn't be a big deal.
In CA, dealers are very strict...you have to "know someone" to get away with even a CAI most of the time. If a dealer employee gets caught ignoring the not only the guidelines of the warranty, not to mention the California Emissions law (as even a basic CAI is illegal in CA), that can cost the dealer plenty, not to mention the employee's job...most would like to keep their job in this bad economy, I would think.

I am sure it is different in the other 49 states (lucky you), but here you need to find someone willing to take that risk as everything on cars today is computerized and the computers will know you modified your car, even if you put it back to stock...the computer knows...and when the dealer plugs into your car, they will too.
SoCal Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:25 PM   #77
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Racer View Post

In CA, dealers are very strict...you have to "know someone" to get away with even a CAI most of the time. If a dealer employee gets caught ignoring the not only the guidelines of the warranty, not to mention the California Emissions law (as even a basic CAI is illegal in CA), that can cost the dealer plenty, not to mention the employee's job...most would like to keep their job in this bad economy, I would think.

I am sure it is different in the other 49 states (lucky you), but here you need to find someone willing to take that risk as everything on cars today is computerized and the computers will know you modified your car, even if you put it back to stock...the computer knows...and when the dealer plugs into your car, they will too.
This is why I will never live in Nazifornia....
Old 12-06-2017, 12:54 PM   #78
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
I know its kinda early to ask this, but any thoughts on an upgraded tube size going to be available for those that up the TB size? I may up mine when i see Chevy Performance start to offer the parts that they use on their test car on the website.

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:26 PM   #79
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Racer View Post

Was not aware that CA was THAT strict with vehicle emissions, what a PITA.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #80
SoCal Racer

Drives: C4,C6 Z06,Silverado,'17 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
The positives of CA are obvious, but he negatives people don't talk about much...strict car laws...laws in general (some can be good I guess), plus higher car prices in part to emissions...equipment and testing...higher taxes of all kinds...higher cost of living...higher cost of housing (2...3...4x as much as anywhere else, except maybe Manhattan? maybe even in some cases) ....

Quote:
It did not used to be like that, but they are cracking down in recent years. Fines and penalties are high. Pretty much every major mail order performance company will not even ship you performance parts if you live in California...Jegs, Summit, etc. Even if you wanted use it for a racing application only...nope. All dealers, not just Chevrolet, are looking for a reason to void your warranty. Those warranties are worth so much money, they would gain so much by being able to void as many as they could. Every time any of us uses our warranties...GM loses money...the dealer loses money (from what I understand, they do not get fully compensated for warranty work vs non-warranty work).

There are laws in line to eliminate the combustion engine completely from the new car market by 2025-30...and the threat is very real :(
SoCal Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:57 PM   #81
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Based on my experience as a Technician here in California over the last 16 years, I’d say that isn’t really true. Unless you bring your car to the dealer for a performance/driveability issue (check engine light, etc.) or a major issue like a damaged engine, nobody at the dealership level cares about modifications. It’s not my responsibility or duty to report a modified vehicle to anyone. It’s totally irrelevant unless the modification caused the problem.

The only situation where I could see there being some truth to this would involve smog testing. Here, the Technician’s ass (and smog license) could be on the line if he passes a car with non-CARB approved parts. A smog Tech is legally required to check for these things though. And for what it’s worth, a new car doesn’t require ANY smog testing or inspections for something like 7 years. Plenty of time for fun.

I laugh whenever I read comments like this about California. Are there some misguided, bullshit laws in place? Sure, but they really don’t prevent me from doing what I want. They’re certainly not enough to make me move or give up hotrodding. This place is paradise otherwise, so if I need to jump through a few hoops when it comes to car mods, so be it.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:14 PM   #82
Mize442

Drives: Current driver AMC emlin X 5ltr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
Based on my experience as a Technician here in California over the last 16 years, I’d say that isn’t really true. Unless you bring your car to the dealer for a performance/driveability issue (check engine light, etc.) or a major issue like a damaged engine, nobody at the dealership level cares about modifications. It’s not my responsibility or duty to report a modified vehicle to anyone. It’s totally irrelevant unless the modification caused the problem.

The only situation where I could see there being some truth to this would involve smog testing. Here, the Technician’s ass (and smog license) could be on the line if he passes a car with non-CARB approved parts. A smog Tech is legally required to check for these things though. And for what it’s worth, a new car doesn’t require ANY smog testing or inspections for something like 7 years. Plenty of time for fun.

I laugh whenever I read comments like this about California. Are there some misguided, bullshit laws in place? Sure, but they really don’t prevent me from doing what I want. They’re certainly not enough to make me move or give up hotrodding. This place is paradise otherwise, so if I need to jump through a few hoops when it comes to car mods, so be it.
I agree
Mize442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:31 AM   #83
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by k20attack View Post
How does the carbon fiber hold up when the ambient temperature is high and the engine bay temp is even higher? Does it deform in any way?
To you and anyone reading this, please do not over-tighten the clamps when installing this. If you do then you will have troubles. CF is not as forgiving as other materials used for intakes. I doubt heat will be an issue since it is a closed system and since CF does a good job expelling heat.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:27 AM   #84
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
but we get to drive our cars in amazing weather, on amazing roads 364 days a year
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote