Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-16-2021, 03:42 AM   #1
Jarek

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
[SOLVED] Whining noise from the rear axle

Hello,

I have got my car recently and I observed that above 60mph there is a whining noise from somewhere in the back of the car - sounds like electrical engine whine. Not very loud but enough to get noticed.
Wanted to check if this is normal - maybe shaft or limited slip differential or axle is producing this as way of normal work but want to make sure that this is not an early warning that something is off.
I was suspecting the wheel bearings but since noise appears only above 60 I believe I can rule this out.
Also I have to admit that for last 10y I have driven with FWD Saab 9-3 so this sound is unusual to me (and I simply cannot remember if my previous car RWD/AWD '91 Chevy Blazer also produced a similar sound). So maybe I am just being paranoid here
I would be grateful for some feedback here.

BR,
Jarek

Last edited by Jarek; 08-17-2022 at 05:11 AM. Reason: topic solved
Jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:07 AM   #2
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Has the differential fluid ever been changed to your knowledge?
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:42 AM   #3
Jarek

Yes - this one was changed BoJun - 1,5m back (along with engine oil and filters, only trans fluid needs to be changed - this will happen next week)
Old 07-16-2021, 06:13 AM   #4
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
Whine from the back is not normal. It's not likely good.
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:43 AM   #5
Jarek

In that case what should I check - what can possibly make such noise?
Old 07-16-2021, 07:06 AM   #6
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i believe your car(SS) requires special rear end lube for the traction locking differential.it could also be too much tolerance in the differential gears which can be shimmed in the case to provide proper clearance if needed.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:42 AM   #7
Jarek

I believe the special fluid was used when change was made but regarding the tolerance - this is sth that I may ask mechanic to check.
Thank you for advice
Old 07-16-2021, 06:52 PM   #8
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Get it checked by a mechanic is my advice to you. Good luck.��
Old 07-18-2021, 01:36 PM   #9
Jarek

I will definitely do that.
However I have one more thing to check - RunFlat tires.
I know they are noisier than regular and this noise have droning quality (related to speed) that may be caused by tires. Also I noticed it below 60 even at 40 and mostly when the throttle was off.
Adding to that rear end has different tires than front - rear tires are GY Asymmetric 2 (2020, 275/35R20) and front are Pirelli P Zero 4 (2019, 245/40R20).
Also I need to revisit the wheel bearings that I ruled out in the 1st post as this is also a possibility.
Old 07-18-2021, 02:11 PM   #10
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
I had a bearing noise from my rear diff that was extremely faint. It only made the noise between 47-55 mph with my foot barely on the gas. If i had my foot on the gas with more pressure than what's required to maintain my speed or if i let go of the gas the noise would disappear. Gm replaced my diff and that noise disappeared. I want to point out that the bearing noise was extremely faint and not everyone would hear it unless they had good ears. I also want to point out that diffs can also make noise within a speed range only when coasting. If the noise you're hearing is within a specific mph range there's a good chance it is the diff.

edit - just read that you hear it between 40 and 60 mph. If I had to guess I don't think it's the bearings in your diff. I could be wrong about this but I feel like when they make noise it's typically within a smaller mph range like mine.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 03:35 AM   #11
Jarek

Thank you for sharing m6-lt1.
In this case diff is a less probable (which is good).
That leaves me with wheel bearings making this noise or tires.
It would be nice if it was tires as you can ignore it (as this is not an issue) or change the tires
Still need to consult the mechanic - get him to listen to this noise and probably lift the car to check bearings and then we will know for sure.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:55 PM   #12
Nilly Welson

Drives: Camaro Super Sport, Six on the Stik
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
i believe your car(SS) requires special rear end lube for the traction locking differential.it could also be too much tolerance in the differential gears which can be shimmed in the case to provide proper clearance if needed.

What special lube? You mean rear end fluid?
Nilly Welson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 12:18 PM   #13
Jarek

I believe redcats1976 meant the special fluid/oil for limited slip differential. And such fluid was changed in my car recently.

Finally I had my car checked today - seems that rear-right wheel bearing is generating that noise.
Need to find replacement part then.

I believe that closes this topic then.

Last edited by Jarek; 07-20-2021 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:09 PM   #14
Jarek

BTW does anybody know the PN for the wheel bearing (or/and hub)?