The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-20-2021, 04:50 PM   #43
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
Ill be honest that was was pretty dumb comparison but whatever. It's no worse than Chevy slapping the Camaro like front end on the new Trailblazers. The fact is trucks and suvs sell a ton more than your standard muscle/sports car so I give Ford props for using their brand wisely.
So if trucks and SUVs are selling a ton more than musclecars/sports cars/sporty cars/ponycars . . . why borrow (steal?) the name? That's greed more than it is wisdom.

Norm
Old 09-20-2021, 05:02 PM   #44
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
So if trucks and SUVs are selling a ton more than musclecars/sports cars/sporty cars/ponycars . . . why borrow (steal?) the name? That's greed more than it is wisdom.

Norm
That way they can sell people on an electric car. People will go with an established brand before they will try something new. The Mach E is just the first for Ford. These big car manufacturers see the writing on the wall and electric is where we are headed so why not use some of the classic names to get people invested in their platform. If Chevy was smart they'd do the same thing.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:11 PM   #45
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSully View Post
In what alternate universe was there a Fox body Camaro?
They probably meant F-body. I used to confuse the terms as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarokid1996 View Post
Lol how low do you think the Mach E is to have trouble with snow or parking lots? It's not a lambo... it does just fine guys. There are plenty of people that drive camaro's, mustangs, challengers, etc in the winter and do just fine. Obviously a foot of snow would hinder any vehicle, but a couple inches, come on. I've driven a Mach E and it's all around fantastic, not sure why we're saying freaking parking lots are going to hurt it. Are your parking lots on the side of a mountain arpad_m?
I am not saying it's as low as a Lambo, but in EE's video, he did show that it sits lower than Model Y(which is one of Mach E's direct competitor) and even a Subaru WRX. I don't like the latter comparison due to WRX's heritage in rally racing but screw it, you kinda forced my hand here.

For a vehicle like an SUV, higher is absolutely better, no matter how you twist it. Again, when I need an SUV, I don't give two crap about how it handles. I(and pretty much everyone) don't use an SUV and try to conquer a race track. I care about being able to traverse any kind of paved(and hopefully a few unpaved) roads in any condition. "Fine" is good enough for an RWD sports car that's not designed to be great commuters in winter, but not good enough for an SUV that should be designed to handle this kind of stuff.

And you will note that not a lot of people give crap to Model Y or other EV SUV as Mach E. Model Y knows what it's supposed to be(a bloody SUV with higher ground clearance) and it's not using a well-known heritage name. The latter is where a lot of the complaints of the car comes from. You also see that with Zupr4. Great car in terms of performance, but you have to admit, having the car being 80% BMW isn't exactly what a lot of people want to see with a recognizable nameplate like Supra.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:26 PM   #46
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Lol how low do you think the Mach E is to have trouble with snow or parking lots? It's not a lambo... it does just fine guys. There are plenty of people that drive camaro's, mustangs, challengers, etc in the winter and do just fine. Obviously a foot of snow would hinder any vehicle, but a couple inches, come on. I've driven a Mach E and it's all around fantastic, not sure why we're saying freaking parking lots are going to hurt it. Are your parking lots on the side of a mountain arpad_m?
Glad to hear every road in Michigan is perfectly smooth with no potholes and the terrain is flat as the desert, not a single grade or inclined driveway to tackle in years of driving. I'll pay a visit sometime to see this elysian wonderland.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:22 PM   #47
Camarokid1996
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2ss/rs TF edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Glad to hear every road in Michigan is perfectly smooth with no potholes and the terrain is flat as the desert, not a single grade or inclined driveway to tackle in years of driving. I'll pay a visit sometime to see this elysian wonderland.
Gosh, guess you got me. I'll have to let every single sports car and low ground clearance SUV owner know that their vehicle is completely useless in Michigan. I mean, it's not like cars up here have suspension or anything for those pesky potholes that only we Michiganders have. You're acting like the Mach E would fall apart if it hits a pothole and we have driveways with a 40° inclines lol. Would love to have you come up here to visit though, its beautiful!
Camarokid1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:25 PM   #48
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Guy in open class took 3rd yesterday at our autocross in a porsche macan. Insanely fast times for an "SUV"...

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:39 PM   #49
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Gosh, guess you got me. I'll have to let every single sports car and low ground clearance SUV owner know that their vehicle is completely useless in Michigan. I mean, it's not like cars up here have suspension or anything for those pesky potholes that only we Michiganders have. You're acting like the Mach E would fall apart if it hits a pothole and we have driveways with a 40° inclines lol. Would love to have you come up here to visit though, its beautiful!
Heh, believe it or not, I've enjoyed this little banter quite a lot Never really meant these extremes either way, of course, but discussing them back and forth is fun.
Signed, a hillbilly redneck

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:42 AM   #50
Nilly Welson

Drives: Camaro Super Sport, Six on the Stik
Nope...thats the Mach 1.....errr...I mean the Mach E ElectroPod Special.
Nilly Welson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:35 AM   #51
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
You're the same guy who made a thread about Camaro pics on a dating profile, and then complained women don't fall over themselves for your Camaro in real life.

Yet you have the gall to call other people beta males?

Alpha’s don’t talk..... the walk. Did you expect anything else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:41 AM   #52
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
The next Ford Mustung? FUGLY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post

Norm

Ummmm.... it’s an Iconic name that the own the rights too in the car world. Why wouldn’t they keep it going. Eventually IcE cars will be gone. Maybe even cars...... could be E suv’s all over way things are trending. Transferring the name makes sense and doing it sooner than later makes sense.

Greed? Maybe but that would be true for anyone selling things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:05 AM   #53
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
That way they can sell people on an electric car. People will go with an established brand before they will try something new. The Mach E is just the first for Ford. These big car manufacturers see the writing on the wall and electric is where we are headed so why not use some of the classic names to get people invested in their platform. If Chevy was smart they'd do the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle vs Camaro View Post
Ummmm.... it’s an Iconic name that the own the rights too in the car world. Why wouldn’t they keep it going. Eventually IcE cars will be gone. Maybe even cars...... could be E suv’s all over way things are trending. Transferring the name makes sense and doing it sooner than later makes sense.

Greed? Maybe but that would be true for anyone selling things.
Mach E would have been enough, perhaps with indirect reference to the name 'Mustang' rather than an outright steal.

If the vehicle is going to be a success, it'd be a success without the Mustang name. If it's headed to be a flop - probably unlikely but anyway - the Mustang name wouldn't be enough to save it.

Norm
Old 09-21-2021, 08:03 AM   #54
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Ill be honest that was was pretty dumb comparison but whatever. It's no worse than Chevy slapping the Camaro like front end on the new Trailblazers. The fact is trucks and suvs sell a ton more than your standard muscle/sports car so I give Ford props for using their brand wisely.
im guessing you didnt see the humor in my post.but it is a valid comparison in one way.most SUVs look like boxes and not like sports cars,and both are meant for different purposes,so comparisons between SUVs and sports cars are not really valid.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:31 AM   #55
Fak_Ork

Drives: Silverado RST 21, 3.0, Crew, Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Oh wow, are you going to be alright?

Show me on this doll where the EV touched you:
Fak_Ork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:35 AM   #56
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Hasn't Ford been saying they wanted Mustang to be its own brand? Similar to how Ram is its own brand?

If Mustang is going to be a brand, of course they are going to offer an SUV (i.e. the most popular 'car' in America). This should surprise no one. So long as the pony car still exists, who ****ing cares?
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote