Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-14-2021, 12:25 PM   #1
DAnubs

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS
Lowering your Camaro

Hey everyone,

I'm currently looking into budget friendly options for lowering a 2010 Camaro 1SS. I want to go with lowering springs, but am not opposed to coil overs aswell.

I really think the BMR 1.25 drop springs are the perfect amount of drop after measuring the wheel gap, BUT, online you can read come conflicting reports, some say it works great, some say they cause the struts to bottom out and create a terrible ride experience.

This makes me lean to the 1.0 inch drop kit. I know no matter what the ride quality will suffer, and that much I am okay with, I just don't want to completely destroy ride quality.

What do you guys run? Am I over thinking this?
DAnubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 02:40 PM   #2
redrum_maro
Runs on caffeine

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Ive been running a set of Pedders coilovers. I have managed to get them to ride smooth on roads and handle better than the oem suspension. Aside from that Im riding an inch lower which I find to be a good height to not scrape everywhere I go.
redrum_maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 03:12 PM   #3
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
I have run both. I started with lowering springs and then moved to coilovers after several years. I liked the lowering springs but on a very rough road, it was definitely a rough ride (stiffer of course). What are the majority of the roads you travel on today? I never had issues with the lowering springs, just wanted a little better ride in the long run (roads in Indy are horrible) The coilovers were a step up.

If you are just going lowered and not looking to track the car, lowering springs is the way to go.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 03:50 PM   #4
Speedypete

Drives: Camaro 2014 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
I have run both. I started with lowering springs and then moved to coilovers after several years. I liked the lowering springs but on a very rough road, it was definitely a rough ride (stiffer of course). What are the majority of the roads you travel on today? I never had issues with the lowering springs, just wanted a little better ride in the long run (roads in Indy are horrible) The coilovers were a step up.

If you are just going lowered and not looking to track the car, lowering springs is the way to go.
sorry for the jump in , but if one is intersted in just the hanling aspect, good cornering ability? on the affordable average price, thanks
Old 12-14-2021, 04:59 PM   #5
wasthatacop?

Drives: 2010 2SS
I did lowering springs. I am happy with them.
ZL1 factory rims
misc: drilled and slotted rotors, fresh air brake cooling system, new speakers, installed reverse camera, muffler delete
wasthatacop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 06:19 PM   #6
QmaroSS
No regrets the red one!

Drives: 2012 Victory Red 2SS
I had the BMR 1.25" drop springs on my 2012 SS and they were great. To me it felt like the stock ride and it definitely did not feel rough.

The only issue I had was getting in and out of my drive with the lowered ride but I have since moved onto the Airlift suspension and that problem is resolved.
StainlessWorks LT (JetHot Coating) + HFC + Performance Connect, 3" SW Retro Cat-back, Roto-Fab CF CAI, Bo White PO TB, R1Concepts Drilled-Slotted Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads, AirLift Performance 3H suspension, MPD1 Rear Spoiler, Heritage Grill w/ Red SS Sparks Emblem, SLP Front Splitter, NightOwl V2 Halo Kit, Roto-Fab Red Engine cover w/ CF Plenum & Fuse Box Cover

QmaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 06:52 AM   #7
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedypete View Post
sorry for the jump in , but if one is intersted in just the hanling aspect, good cornering ability? on the affordable average price, thanks
you have more to look at in upgrades if you are concerned about "cornering". Control arms, sway bars, etc will "help" in that. I did track the car with the lowering springs, but I had also upgraded all the suspension components.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 11:08 AM   #8
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
I have the Pfadt Race Engineering 1.25 springs in my Camaro, have had them for about 9 years now. I like the ride, it is not too stiff and not too bouncy as some can be. Just have to be careful on some drive ways that are kinda steep and approach them at an angle, also speed bumps are not a problem and I don't rib anywhere.

Name:  IMG_1995.JPG
Views: 419
Size:  414.0 KB
Old 12-15-2021, 11:26 AM   #9
DAnubs

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS
I appreciate all the input. This car will not be tracked I was just trying to help solve the wheel gap issue in a budget friendly way. The BMR 1.25 drop springs were ordered (RPD is running end of the year discount codes *hint hint* to anyone on the fence).
DAnubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 07:10 AM   #10
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
My 2010 on BMR 1.25 drop and slightly oversized tires from stock
Attached Images

Color matched OEM GFX / VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (absolute trash quality and customer service ) / Heritage Grille / 5% Windows / 30% Windshield tint with 5% visor strip / Tinted Exterior Lights / Streetfighter LA Spoiler / Morimoto XB LED fogs / LED sidemarkers / Airaid CAI / Hurst Short Throw / TSP LT's / No cats / No resonator / Corsa Xtreme Catback / Trifecta Tune / Factory amp replaced / 2 JL Audio 12's in the trunk / MRR 228 Wheels / BMR Springs / Moog Endlinks / R1 Concepts Rotors & Pads
Arogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 12:33 PM   #11
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
I'm running 1.5" DSE Lowering Springs for the past 3 years with no issues. It really changes the whole feel of the car. It has become a different animal.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 01:37 PM   #12
JTC/C5

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Had springs at first for a few years, then finally made the move to coilovers at a very reasonable price, save your money on the springs and goto coilovers its not even in the same world of performance, its probably one the greatest things i have done to this car. Hugh improvement all over and there adjustable to make your ride height dialed in and you can adjust stiffness with literally no effort at all...

I went with Megan racing coilovers... they were probably around $800 , install should be done professionally.

Good luck, again id wait save more and go coilovers.. forget the springs.
Old 12-18-2021, 06:46 PM   #13
jprodun1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
1” BMRs here along with both sway bars. Mine is mostly street driven (NYC, i.e. roads suck) and while they’re stiffer than stock, the handling has improved dramatically for me. Very happy with the height and wheel gap as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
jprodun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 01:34 PM   #14
Bluebagger06

Drives: 2012 camaro ss
Been on 1.25 Bmr for 3 years with no issues, Rides no worse than stock.
Attached Images