#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-04-2023, 11:51 PM   #1
SammYyYyY

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
ZL1 Oil Pump Question

Hey all!

I have a 2018 ZL1 1LE that I purchased back in June of 2022 and have absolutely been loving. I’m currently sitting at about 7,700 miles (I bought the car with 3,800 miles). The car has been in storage for the winter, but one thing has been on my mind and I’m trying to weigh my options on the smartest way to approach it: the dreaded oil pump.

Being a 2018, I am terrified at the notion of a failed oil pump destroying my motor. I would like to get the Katech wet sump oil pump installed as soon as I pull the car out for the next season, but I don’t know where to start. I’m having a hard time finding consistent answers on how labor intensive the process is and how much is it going to cost. I figure that I might be better off upgrading the cam while they are in there, but don’t even know where to start with that (the car is 100% bone stock as it sits).

Any insight would be fantastic; if anybody can provide insight on the average cost of the replacement, any good shops in the Salt Lake City area to do the work, any upgrades I should make while they are in there, any of this would be much appreciated.
SammYyYyY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 05:42 AM   #2
Schlok

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #397 2022 ZL1 #1799
Can't speak to what is near SLC but oil pump replacement, I believe, is quoted at around 5k for parts and labor to do...I am pretty sure I read that here from someone. It is a big job to undertake.
Schlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 05:50 AM   #3
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammYyYyY View Post
Hey all!

I have a 2018 ZL1 1LE that I purchased back in June of 2022 and have absolutely been loving. I’m currently sitting at about 7,700 miles (I bought the car with 3,800 miles). The car has been in storage for the winter, but one thing has been on my mind and I’m trying to weigh my options on the smartest way to approach it: the dreaded oil pump.

Being a 2018, I am terrified at the notion of a failed oil pump destroying my motor. I would like to get the Katech wet sump oil pump installed as soon as I pull the car out for the next season, but I don’t know where to start. I’m having a hard time finding consistent answers on how labor intensive the process is and how much is it going to cost. I figure that I might be better off upgrading the cam while they are in there, but don’t even know where to start with that (the car is 100% bone stock as it sits).

Any insight would be fantastic; if anybody can provide insight on the average cost of the replacement, any good shops in the Salt Lake City area to do the work, any upgrades I should make while they are in there, any of this would be much appreciated.
It is labor intensive as the whole front end has to come out and cost's a couple thousand including the cost of the pump. That's why people only really do it if they are planning on doing something else.

My 2018 has over 33k miles, all by me, and has been tracked regularly and driven spiritly with no sign of the oil pump failing.

I don't remember the dates for the oil pump failure so maybe someone can chime in with that. You can find your car's build date by looking at the sticker in the driver's side door jam.

Of course it's your money and your peace of mind so do what you want but if you're not seeing any issues then why spend the money that can go towards something else.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 06:42 AM   #4
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
My 2017 has over 26,000 miles and so far no issues with the oil pump. I do let mine warm up though even in the hotter months especially after sitting overnight and don’t romp on it until I see the higher temperature degrees on the gauge. I am keeping my fingers crossed too hoping it doesn’t go out and yes it is a big expensive job from what I have heard thru mechanic friends.
Old 01-05-2023, 08:10 AM   #5
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
The oil pump typically does not "spontaneously" fail. The engine asks for 30 PSI of oil pressure at idle. The first stage of the failure is a "half failure" where you don't lose all oil pressure, but you lose a chunk of it. If your idle oil pressure ever falls to 20~ PSI, then you need to start being concerned.

If you spot check your idle oil temp when warmed up and it is 30, you have nothing to worry about currently.

Hope this helps
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 12:28 PM   #6
taylorforschool@gmail.com
PKG4U

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post
The oil pump typically does not "spontaneously" fail. The engine asks for 30 PSI of oil pressure at idle. The first stage of the failure is a "half failure" where you don't lose all oil pressure, but you lose a chunk of it. If your idle oil pressure ever falls to 20~ PSI, then you need to start being concerned.

If you spot check your idle oil temp when warmed up and it is 30, you have nothing to worry about currently.

Hope this helps
Helps a lot, you guys have helped a lot with your chiming in on topics lately. It is much appreciated from those of us with not a ton of knowledge. Look forward to any future posts from you and Mike

Mods after Warranty “Imma keep it stock”
taylorforschool@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 01:23 PM   #7
ChadSZL1
Red Bull

Drives: 2017 Chevy ZL1
Wait to change the oil pump until you do cam/heads. I did mine all at the same time as the labor is about the same cost. When you change your pump use Katech best pump around!
ChadSZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 02:13 PM   #8
SammYyYyY

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Thank you all for your valuable insight!

I called a local reputable shop today and I was quoted ~$4,500 all-in, parts and labor. If I'm going to be paying that much for labor I definitely would like to wait until I want to do heads/cam at the same time.

Has there been any consistent documentation on build dates correlating to failed oil pumps? The build date for my ZLE is 01/2018, I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not, but that seems to be a later build date than most cases I have read about with failed oil pumps on 2018 MY cars.
SammYyYyY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 02:47 PM   #9
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Hey all!

Hey there... I know the feeling, which is why I upgraded mine even on my 2022, while i had the motor out of the car. Your situation is a bit different, and would be nice to know what your long term plans are for the car, and your budget. Example; option.1 - if your goals were to keep the car stock, then i would follow Katech's advice and simply keep an eye on the gauge, and repair later, if it even becomes an issue, which it may not. option.2 - If you already had plans to cam the car, then 100% of the labor to swap the pump cam be applied to the cam swap also. Once the motor is out of the car, there are alot of upgrades that become easier and cheaper while everything is taken apart... my mod list is the perfect example. Hope that helps.
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 03:47 PM   #10
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Thank you all for your valuable insight!

I called a local reputable shop today and I was quoted ~$4,500 all-in, parts and labor. If I'm going to be paying that much for labor I definitely would like to wait until I want to do heads/cam at the same time.

Has there been any consistent documentation on build dates correlating to failed oil pumps? The build date for my ZLE is 01/2018, I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not, but that seems to be a later build date than most cases I have read about with failed oil pumps on 2018 MY cars.
I have a 18 ZLE also but I’m not as concerned as most are about the pump however I do plan on keeping the car long term so when my warranty is up in a little over 2 years my plan was to do heads/Cam/headers so it would be silly not to do it then. My build is 7/18 with just over 6k miles.
pauly1119 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 04:00 PM   #11
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
You might just be able to get an extended warranty for less than the cost of the oil pump replacement. If you’re not planning on keeping the car forever I’d go that route. If not I would just bite the bullet and replace the pump. Sucks Chevy just didn’t get it right the first time. Imo an oil pump should be something auto manufacturers get right the first time after years of engineering them by 2017. Because of this when it’s time for me to upgrade to a zl1 I’m only going to be looking at 19+ (and I’ll admit the slight infotainment upgrades are nice).
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 04:02 PM   #12
BunnyBoy

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I have 12/16 build date with 36000 with good PSI. I fear my time maybe coming. I should just order a Katech pump now.
BunnyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 06:08 PM   #13
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
You might just be able to get an extended warranty for less than the cost of the oil pump replacement. If you’re not planning on keeping the car forever I’d go that route. If not I would just bite the bullet and replace the pump. Sucks Chevy just didn’t get it right the first time. Imo an oil pump should be something auto manufacturers get right the first time after years of engineering them by 2017. Because of this when it’s time for me to upgrade to a zl1 I’m only going to be looking at 19+ (and I’ll admit the slight infotainment upgrades are nice).
GM won’t write extensions anymore on cars over 36 months old. Would have to be some aftermarket warranty company. I would only do it with the platinum plan. I recently tried to add more time to my 25 months remaining and GM won’t allow it. I tried on 2 different cars and was told they won’t do it anymore. Even asked if I cancelled the plans I have with no refund and added new ones and was told no.
pauly1119 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 09:45 PM   #14
4skidmarks

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post

Hope this helps
Katech Zach knows!

I wished I would have read up on oil pump failures..... I remember seeing my idle (hot) oil pressure around 20 psi before mine let go. Seemed low, but I had no clue. I'm not sure how long before I saw it, but it had to have been a few hundred miles and at least 2 track days.

What I thought was weird was that my telemetry showed higher oil pressure (min & max) during my last track session of the day, just before it let go, compared to the first 3 sessions (which were all the same). Maybe pieces of the pump plugging the galleries????
4skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote