Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 02-01-2016, 11:39 AM   #1
MrImSoFly

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 2SS
No Spare Tire

This just came to my attention. Apparently no spare tire was included with my vehicle. I'm not sure if this normal now a days with new cars or what. Anyone else missing the spare tire?
MrImSoFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:14 PM   #2
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrImSoFly View Post
This just came to my attention. Apparently no spare tire was included with my vehicle. I'm not sure if this normal now a days with new cars or what. Anyone else missing the spare tire?
Entirely normal these days.
All part of the weight savings I suspect.
Some cars come with a can of 'fix-a-flat' and a small compressor, some are equipped with 'run-flat' tires, etc, etc.

Plus, I'll bet that they figure that in today's connected society, odds are that you either have a cell phone to call somebody or someone like AAA, or you have OnStar, etc, etc.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:23 PM   #3
MrImSoFly

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Entirely normal these days.
All part of the weight savings I suspect.
Some cars come with a can of 'fix-a-flat' and a small compressor, some are equipped with 'run-flat' tires, etc, etc.

Plus, I'll bet that they figure that in today's connected society, odds are that you either have a cell phone to call somebody or someone like AAA, or you have OnStar, etc, etc.
Respect. Thanks for the information. My last new vehicle was a 2009 G6 (spare included) so I am obviously not up to date with certain things like this lol.
MrImSoFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:27 PM   #4
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
I was kind of wishing I had a spare yesterday when one of my tires was down 15psi from a nail and I was out of town and it took 4 gas stations to find an air station with a working tip on the nozzle.
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:29 PM   #5
FlightSoftware

Drives: '95 Corvette, '06 Mustang, 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypop13 View Post
I was kind of wishing I had a spare yesterday when one of my tires was down 15psi from a nail and I was out of town and it took 4 gas stations to find an air station with a working tip on the nozzle.
-supposedly- these are run flats, you should be able to limp home on 'em.

How'd that work in practice? What's it like to drive on it that low?
Old 02-01-2016, 12:31 PM   #6
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
See section on back seat.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:32 PM   #7
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightSoftware View Post

I have RFTs on my car and in all honestly, if you are just driving normally and going a normal econobox speed around corners, they are surprisingly unobtrusive. I may not have even know that I had a big puncture and zero PSI in my rear tire which is 255/35R19 had the car not started yelling at me. I was pretty impressed actually.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:36 PM   #8
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightSoftware View Post

Well the problem was thatI was out of town and wasnt going to drive 80 miles on it and possibly ruin it so I drove about 5 miles total until I found a gas station I could air it up at. It held psi perfect all the way home and got it patched and plugged today at discount tire for free. Honestly in the short distance I drove it with 24psi, I couldn't even tell it was low. It was the passenger rear
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:07 PM   #9
EricTheCamaroGuy

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrImSoFly View Post
Which type do you have, LT or SS?
EricTheCamaroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:24 PM   #10
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
I have another post about a jack to carry in the trunk...I'm going on a 3 week Vacation to Florida with two 14 year old boys...I need alittle more security than maybe 50 miles on a flat...I need to be able to lift the car and plug the tire if necessary...at least I can get to civilization!
So what happens if no one local has a spare run-flat tire to fit...I don't want to be stranded out in the Everglades waiting for a tire to ship in!
Will a small spare and jack from a 15 Camaro EBAY Kit fit???
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:08 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Many posts have been deleted...this is not a forum for vitriol and rudeness. Please adhere to the site rules when responding. And if you don't feel you can, please don't respond.

The way to share information and educate people is to encourage them to continue to ask questions and want to learn. Not try to make them feel stupid and hesitate to start a discussion. Please keep this in mind going forward. Thank you.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:48 PM   #12
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Easy fixes fifth gen guys used were old ctsv spares. Acquire and extra front wheel and use that as a spare. There a few diy sections about guys making brackets and stuff for stowing in trunk, I am not sure if any of those are options to ya. Can always buy one wheel from forge star.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:53 PM   #13
The1DoubleN
Banned

Drives: Blown up '16 SS
I'm just using a stock front wheel with a full size spare tire mounted on it. My car came with LPO wheels so I had a stock set to use as well. This full size spare takes up most of my trunk and the spacious inside of this 20" rim also serves to house my jack, tools, and a battery jump starter. I don't like the idea of not having a spare....screw run-flats, they're the devils minions....
The1DoubleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:21 AM   #14
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
I bought a small Jack for a 5th Gen Camaro (and other GM cars)...this way I can at least take the tire off and plug it. I have a Small but powerful compressor to fill the tire up...this way I can at least save the tire and get to a shop of my choice to patch it!

If it is a blow-out, then AAA will have to tow me somewhere....I can't afford to lose what trunk space that I have with a full size tire and rim!
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote