Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 12-07-2021, 12:06 PM   #15
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Drives: 2018 ZL1 & 2022 Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
omg you gave me a badass idea with the logo.

I been playing around with mould making and got it down.

I think ill make a clear or maybe add red tint to it and light it up like the GM but this will be hollow instead of bulky. probably use some miniature rope light i dont want to see LED dot.
I actually wanted to make a mold of the flowtie as well and did try with some air dry putting but was too soft to hold itself shape and make a nice mold since the flowtie is angled (I think was around 127 deg). Originally I had my mind made up to skin the flowtie in carbon, but decided to just paint it in the end. I didn't feel like running without it for a few weeks so could work on it here and there when I had time and in between the weather's cold snaps. Also if I screwed up some how, I'd have to purchase a whole new upper grill to replace. I plan to skin it at some point down the road, maybe spring/summer when it warms up.

I tried a few things on an old TBSS to illuminate the bowtie on it back in the day. I'm unsure if my Photobucket pics still show up since they get blocked at work. If they don't, I have copies I can upload if interested. Just sharing, maybe something will help illuminate your flow tie. Please make a thread when you do get yours done!

https://www.tbssowners.com/threads/f...glo-tie.29889/

https://www.tbssowners.com/threads/t...e-ideas.31045/
- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
2022 Suzuki Hayabusa - Brilliant White Pearl & Shocker Yellow Wheels
- +4 Arm, 240 OEM Wheel, Brock's CT (Ti) Exhaust, 1.25" drop, etc...
infinitereality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #16
dfxrte

Drives: 22 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitereality View Post
I just put only canards and bezels on my ZL1 a couple weeks, stock grill and splitter. I had the bezels smoothed and painted mosaic black and canards left texture and had painted in body color. With everything else being gloss on the car, felt I had to paint them. I looked every where to find pictures with only canards but not many out there.

Like others have said, removing the front bumper isn't hard and just time consuming. Removing the little clips to get bezels off wasn't too much fun, but wasn't as bad as I was expecting it. It took me 3.5hrs start to finish taking my time and I also swapped brake pads out while I had the front wheels off. While the front bumper is off you can remove the chrome bowtie to paint or plasti-dip if you'd like.

I haven't decided if I'm going to do the ZLE grill and splitter yet. Originally I was leaning towards a lower splitter addition from APR, but with it being a daily and getting in/out of places with the front being another 2" longer I think may not be worth it. One day I'd like to get another set of dive planes and chop an inch off the width and weld the air foil back on, I think they would fit my car better.

Nice job, front end looks great!
dfxrte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 02:52 PM   #17
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
Quote:
I actually wanted to make a mold of the flowtie as well and did try with some air dry putting but was too soft to hold itself shape and make a nice mold since the flowtie is angled (I think was around 127 deg). Originally I had my mind made up to skin the flowtie in carbon, but decided to just paint it in the end. I didn't feel like running without it for a few weeks so could work on it here and there when I had time and in between the weather's cold snaps. Also if I screwed up some how, I'd have to purchase a whole new upper grill to replace. I plan to skin it at some point down the road, maybe spring/summer when it warms up.

I tried a few things on an old TBSS to illuminate the bowtie on it back in the day. I'm unsure if my Photobucket pics still show up since they get blocked at work. If they don't, I have copies I can upload if interested. Just sharing, maybe something will help illuminate your flow tie. Please make a thread when you do get yours done!

https://www.tbssowners.com/threads/f...glo-tie.29889/

https://www.tbssowners.com/threads/t...e-ideas.31045/
Can't see no pictures
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:19 AM   #18
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
Can't see no pictures
I was afraid of that, I'll dig some up on my home PC to share. Maybe it'll give EDFHOBBIES some ideas on his, I'm excited to see what he comes up with. Maybe motivate me to tinker some.

OP... If you get the canards and have them painted, if you daily the car it may be worth adding PPF to the fronts of them. I'm unsure how well PPF will work with the texture of the canards though, just a thought I had yesterday and considering to test PPF on mine to see. Good part with the paint and clear, it fills in the texture some so it's not as pronounced.
- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
Old 12-08-2021, 07:24 AM   #19
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

I actually had a few finished pics on my work computer. These are the "glo-tie" ones where there's 8 LEDs behind the billet bowtie. Apologize for the potato quality as these are from 2008ish
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2021, 07:39 AM   #20
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
I have tooling coat, wax, and dump gun ready. I usually do carbon but can't see why just epoxy and mixture rope light or fiber optic would work incassed in to time epoxy. I need to see how gm or ikon did there's and duplicate with no center section.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:56 AM   #21
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
I have tooling coat, wax, and dump gun ready. I usually do carbon but can't see why just epoxy and mixture rope light or fiber optic would work incassed in to time epoxy. I need to see how gm or ikon did there's and duplicate with no center section.
I'm 100% with you, rope light incased in epoxy should work. Just a matter of how well the light is dispersed. If not good enough, you could always scuff it up to help disperse and would hide rope lights. I think if I was doing it, I'd scuff it up and then tape off the front outline and paint the rest black? For some reason, I think being LED and mine being a daily driver I'd consider having a constant 12v to it so it's always on. I'm very interested to see what you come up with, if you attempt doing it and comes out decent would be awesome to have a thread on it. Heck, probably could sell some if you wanted.

If you'd like pictures of my bowtie or grill while it's off, I'll be glad to snap some. Just shoot me a PM so we don't take up more of OP's thread.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:20 AM   #22
Firecaptain

Drives: '22 Summit White ZL1 A10
@Jrodx.....here ya go happy reading....these should be in a "sticky"

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508925

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512449

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrodx View Post
Has anyone installed the actual canards on a regular ZL1? What was your process?
Firecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 12:26 PM   #23
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
Now I saw OPs painted parts, im kinda torn on getting the carbon fiber 1LE grill/splitter vs oem (way cheaper) and having them painted the mosaic black....which will still be cheaper in the long run.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 12:33 PM   #24
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIROC View Post
Now I saw OPs painted parts, im kinda torn on getting the carbon fiber 1LE grill/splitter vs oem (way cheaper) and having them painted the mosaic black....which will still be cheaper in the long run.
For reference for you or OP, it cost me $150 to get 2 bezels smoothed in mosaic black and 2 canards only painted gloss black by a pro. My original reason was due to cost, with wait times following close behind for the carbon parts. In hindsight after installing them painted, I think it was the best choice. Don't get me wrong, I love me some carbon but I was on the fence about doing the dive planes only in general and ended up liking how color matching canards blend in with the car depending on the angle.
Old 12-08-2021, 01:39 PM   #25
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
I am planning to wrap the canards and the bezels with 3M mosaic black vinyl. The match is really close to the actual paint.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2021, 01:51 PM   #26
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuiquen View Post
I am planning to wrap the canards and the bezels with 3M mosaic black vinyl. The match is really close to the actual paint.

I went back and forth on if I wanted all 4 done in mosaic black or gloss black, in the end I chose to mix and match colors. My painter originally misread my text when he went to spray them so the bezels were black and canards mosaic. I initially considered keeping them as he sprayed (I hate being "that guy"), but I went to hold the canard up to the car in the sun and immediately knew I had to mention he got the colors wrong. For me the metallic just didn't look right on them.

Random question, but will vinyl stick well enough to the texture of the dive planes? I didn't consider wrapping mine. The texture is decently coarse, just curious if vinyl would stick.
Old 12-08-2021, 02:19 PM   #27
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
Parts are in for the front end conversion nice winter project.
Attached Images

20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:58 PM   #28
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Quote:
I went back and forth on if I wanted all 4 done in mosaic black or gloss black, in the end I chose to mix and match colors. My painter originally misread my text when he went to spray them so the bezels were black and canards mosaic. I initially considered keeping them as he sprayed (I hate being "that guy"), but I went to hold the canard up to the car in the sun and immediately knew I had to mention he got the colors wrong. For me the metallic just didn't look right on them.

Random question, but will vinyl stick well enough to the texture of the dive planes? I didn't consider wrapping mine. The texture is decently coarse, just curious if vinyl would stick.
We shall see if it sticks.. I am doing it myself so I can redo if needed. Figured I would try before painting.