Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-23-2021, 11:57 AM   #1
Jslac4eva

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS, Tesla Model 3 Perf
ZL1 vs. ZLE

Hi gang, I'm in a bit of a predicament.

Here's a quick backstory on the situation at hand:
I've owned a 2012 RS (V6), upgraded to a 2017 1SS with a stage 2 and then sold it for a Tesla Model 3 Performance. Although fast, the Model 3 Performance is missing the personality my 1SS had and so, I'm looking to jump into a ZL1 (2022 model year).

Given that, one thing I truly enjoyed on the 1SS was the lack of magneride so I felt every bump on the road. Looking at the ZL1s I like the more simplistic design of the regular ZL1 compared to the ZLE, but at the same time I prefer the tighter suspension and I'm not sure if magneride on the ZL1 would simulate what the 1SS had (or didn't have). So here's just a few questions for anyone reading this:

1. Is there a huge difference in suspension between the ZL1's track mode with magneride compared to the ZLE's?

2. Which would closer resemble the suspension of a non-magneride Camaro? The ZL1 in track mode or the ZLE?

3. Does the rear wing on the ZLE interfere with visibility (of course I imagine the three pillars to limit my view, but not sure if I'll be able to make out an officer who's a number of cars away given the huge spoiler)?

Currently I have an order in with a dealer for a ZL1 6mt (1100 status), but looking around I'm seeing a couple of ZLEs available so I'm tempted to pull the trigger on a ZLE, but need to be informed first.

Funny enough, this is probably my first post ever in any forum so any help, guidance, recommendations or tips are greatly appreciated!
Jslac4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 12:05 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
are you going to track it or no? is it going to be a daily or a weekend fun car?
Old 08-23-2021, 12:34 PM   #3
Jslac4eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
are you going to track it or no? is it going to be a daily or a weekend fun car?
Most likely won't track, but will be more of a weekend car with a couple of days driving it to the office on nicer days.
Old 08-23-2021, 12:45 PM   #4
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslac4eva View Post
Most likely won't track, but will be more of a weekend car with a couple of days driving it to the office on nicer days.
No reason to buy a 1LE for that. The standard ZL1 gives PLENTY of feedback. I feel every bump on the road.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 12:53 PM   #5
Jslac4eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
No reason to buy a 1LE for that. The standard ZL1 gives PLENTY of feedback. I feel every bump on the road.
Phew okay that's what I was hoping for. Thank you for that.
Old 08-23-2021, 01:08 PM   #6
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Regular ZL1... I had a 2017 2ss loved it but got tired of the 6sp manual in stop and go..

Upgraded toa 2019 ZL1 with A10.... dont look back...

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 01:44 PM   #7
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
If you want the look and feel of a racecar, then get the 1LE.

If you want something that can have a smooth ride 1 minute then a nice, firm ride the next, then get the non 1LE.

I cannot speak on the rear view mirror and the high spoiler visibility.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 05:11 PM   #8
Z Boss
Camaro Addiction

Drives: 68SS81Z2887IROC97Z28SS,12ZL1,22ZLE
Yes IMO you'll be happy with a ZL1. The ZLE is overkill and may not be as enjoyable based on your posts.
2012 Camaro ZL1 VIN #0004
ZL1, Ashen Grey, Black Leather, 6 speed, suede, exposed carbon fiber weave, gray stripe
Current Status: Cruisin' !!
3800 Produced: 1/27/2012
6000 Delivered To Customer: 4/27/2012
Z Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 05:47 PM   #9
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:

1. Is there a huge difference in suspension between the ZL1's track mode with magneride compared to the ZLE's?
Yes there is a Huge difference. There is no rubber in the suspension of a ZLE except for tires.

2. Which would closer resemble the suspension of a non-magneride Camaro? The ZL1 in track mode or the ZLE?
Certainly not the ZLE.

3. Does the rear wing on the ZLE interfere with visibility (of course I imagine the three pillars to limit my view, but not sure if I'll be able to make out an officer who's a number of cars away given the huge spoiler)?
Yes it goes right across the middle of the rear glass. However with the new cars there is a rear view camera in the sharks fin so not an issue anymore since you can turn on the camera mode

Currently I have an order in with a dealer for a ZL1 6mt (1100 status), but looking around I'm seeing a couple of ZLEs available so I'm tempted to pull the trigger on a ZLE, but need to be informed first.
1100 status doesn't mean much until your dealer gets an allocation and it's picked up for production. Could be a bit of a wait... but worth it.

Funny enough, this is probably my first post ever in any forum so any help, guidance, recommendations or tips are greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum
Old 08-23-2021, 06:46 PM   #10
Alponcho

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I had the same question 18 months ago. I planned to drive the car a lot, and don’t have much spare time to track it, so the ZL1 made more sense. so that’s what I bought (A10). I absolutely love the car, it’s everything I thought it would be and more. However, I wish I would have bought a ZLE. Heart over head sort of deal.
Alponcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:55 PM   #11
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Quote:
Hi gang, I'm in a bit of a predicament.

Here's a quick backstory on the situation at hand:

I've owned a 2012 RS (V6), upgraded to a 2017 1SS with a stage 2 and then sold it for a Tesla Model 3 Performance. Although fast, the Model 3 Performance is missing the personality my 1SS had and so, I'm looking to jump into a ZL1 (2022 model year).

Given that, one thing I truly enjoyed on the 1SS was the lack of magneride so I felt every bump on the road. Looking at the ZL1s I like the more simplistic design of the regular ZL1 compared to the ZLE, but at the same time I prefer the tighter suspension and I'm not sure if magneride on the ZL1 would simulate what the 1SS had (or didn't have). So here's just a few questions for anyone reading this:

OP,

Yeah. Be honest with yourself and determine the purpose of the car. I just went thru this. I actually didn't ask anyone for input. Got the ZLE and oh man.. what a car... The best handling car hands down.. power is amazing.. but to me, the suspension was too rough for driving on the streets where I live.. while i wasn't planning to daily drive it, i did want to go on long road trips. I want the ZLE because of the looks mainly, of course the suspension is a great add if you plan to drive on the track. Long considerations, I traded the ZLE for the ZL1... What a difference on the comfort... Yet it still handles great for my purpose.. many have done it and i am working on it, you can add the aero parts and wheels of the ZLE... I am happy with my decision most of the time... The discontent is because of other cosmetic things with the ZL1 versus the ZLE that I had but that doesn't apply to your situation..

Idk how new owners are doing it, but aren't dealers asking for over sticker price due to low inventory? And if things continue with the Chip shortage, who knows where things will go and how long you will have to wait for a car..

Sounds like you rather have the subtle ZL1 so test drive them both.. or find people to give you rides in them.. if you were local to me, you could test my ZL1.

There is a cool status of owning the special ZLE. Some say it will be worth more money later. But honestly, i think the ZL1 in general is special... I see 100 6th gen Camaros around and maybe 1 is a ZL1 or ZLE..

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2021, 06:55 PM   #12
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alponcho View Post
I had the same question 18 months ago. I planned to drive the car a lot, and don’t have much spare time to track it, so the ZL1 made more sense. so that’s what I bought (A10). I absolutely love the car, it’s everything I thought it would be and more. However, I wish I would have bought a ZLE. Heart over head sort of deal.
Why do you wish that?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2021, 08:59 PM   #13
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Welcome to the 6gen forum and my advice is to buy the ZL1 since you say it won’t see track duty and be a weekend cruiser. The regular ZL1 is a heck of a car for the money and you will enjoy the drive. The ZLE is more expensive as compared to the ZL1 too!
Old 08-23-2021, 09:17 PM   #14
TWG1
TWG1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZLE
Ive had both. The ZLE ride is laughably stiff. The ZL1 A10 is a better all around car than my current ZLE, but I track often and the ZLE is better enough on the track that it outweighs the poor street manners.

Put it this way: take a non-car person for a ride in the ZLE and hit a few expansion joints…your passenger will ask what's wrong with your car.
2021 F150 Powerboost (on order)
TWG1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension, zl1, zle