#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-28-2021, 03:37 PM   #15
Rnovrit

Drives: 2018 NFG ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRM ZL1 View Post
Agree with Checkmate hopefully the stock GY3R are not on the car they are scary in the rain.

Exactly! The stock tires are not rain friendly. Huge contact patch and minimal evacuation slots.

That said, you will have a blast. These cars are a ton of fun. I purchased mine new near LA and drove it home just over 500 miles. Was ready for the break in oil change when I got home.
Rnovrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 03:52 PM   #16
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIROC View Post
I bought my ZL1 in TX and drove it back to Phoenix. No issues, just a VERY boring drive across Texas. *boring yet I was doing nothing but 140+ pulls lol. didn't put anything on it and just had a shit ton of bugs up front.
Lol those pulls will definitely spice things up. I heard that texas highway patrol are no joke and will pull you over if you are doing a few miles over the limit. in CA if the speed limit on the freeway is 65, i set my cruise control at 79 and I know i am safe

I am going to try to stop and find some good bbq joints and maybe mexican if a long the route. looking forward to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
Its a used car, drive it...
I will be driving it. just dont want it to look like crap unnecessarily, you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRM ZL1 View Post
I second the Novi Stretch. It also keeps bugs out the of big grill on the ZLE. I have one on mine and love it for long trips. Let us know how the trip goes. I have done alot of 1k miles one day going to Florida but they have been in my Ram truck with the family 14 Hrs is a long day driving. Thought about taking the Auto train when I take the ZLE to FL in July for our anniversary just me and and the wife but after some talk here on the forum decided to drive it. Be interested to know how you trip goes. My advice stack up on coffee and snacks.
I tried to overnight the novi stretch and the tape, nothing is overnight-able unfortunately. totally sucks.

I do a lot of pretty long drives in my truck for hunting and riding but it is much more comfortable in a truck. You can have more fun in a quick car though, that is for sure. I am definitely planning on stopping for lots of coffee. I usually bring a big cooler when i take my truck and i can keep cold drinks for a week easy. i always need something cold to sip on in the car. Since I am flying though i dont want to bring a small cooler, and deal with that so will probably stop when I need a drink/gas/food/bathroom.

I will post back about how it goes when i am back. My wife is telling me to take my time and not be a hero lol. I just want to be back home and have some weekend left. plus she is staying home with 2 small kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
I did a 1600 mile trip from MD to TN and back in the course of 4 days.

With some quick stops for gas and stretching my legs - the trip was uneventful. The car was fine.

Key thing is I have Michelin PS4S tires on my car. The stock GY3R tires have a stiff sidewall which are only meant for the track. Those tires will not help you with ride comfort (Especially over rough roads/highway expansion joints). The GY3R are extremely sketchy in the rain.

My advice is to have the car's tires swapped to something more street/rain friendly before pickup (Hankook Evo2, Conti Extreme Contact or PS4S).
the car fortunately already has PS4Ss. I would be concerned for sure about getting stuck in a lot of rain with 3Rs. I am not used to driving in crazy rain like in the midwest. It doesnt rain much here. I got stuck driving a few times in iowa, alabama, and new orleans in crazy downpours and it is seriously not fun! glad we don't get those here. During the summer months, it never rains here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h018871 View Post
where in TX are you getting the car?
I've got Protect 'N Peel kit that I'll let you have. It's a liquid that rolls on and then dries for protection. No idea how it will do on the wrapped hood.
I saw that stuff in my search. that is super nice of you to offer, really appreciate it. Flying into san antonio and the car is in that area so not close to you at all it looks like. have you used this stuff though? How does it work?
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 03:57 PM   #17
serper3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
All these posts about God forbid.....it might get a rock chip from the road. It's a car, not a museum piece. Just drive it. Holy crap. Never spent a dime on paint protection or any of that and have driven my SS on 800mi round trips 4 times.
lol

it happens and if it does i am not going to lose any sleep over it.

I guess some people like taking care of their possessions and some.. don't care.

trust me, i will drive it. i will drive the crap out of it.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:05 PM   #18
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by serper3 View Post

I saw that stuff in my search. that is super nice of you to offer, really appreciate it. Flying into san antonio and the car is in that area so not close to you at all it looks like. have you used this stuff though? How does it work?
I have not used it, bought it for a white car before I could put PPF on it. Things worked out so that the film could be put on.
Enjoy the ride!
Old 04-28-2021, 04:19 PM   #19
serper3

Quote:
Originally Posted by h018871 View Post
I have not used it, bought it for a white car before I could put PPF on it. Things worked out so that the film could be put on.
Enjoy the ride!
That white Miata in your journal first post pic?! I had a white miata years ago but it was an NB. i turbod it. such a fun car i really regret selling it.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:32 PM   #20
powerszl1

Drives: 2018 camaro zl1
If you’re that concerned about stone chips.
1. Don’t buy it, cuz you will get stone chips no matter what you do.
2. Have it shipped in an enclosed trailer.
3. Don’t ever drive it once you get it home and just look at it.
powerszl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:50 PM   #21
serper3

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerszl1 View Post
If you’re that concerned about stone chips.
1. Don’t buy it, cuz you will get stone chips no matter what you do.
2. Have it shipped in an enclosed trailer.
3. Don’t ever drive it once you get it home and just look at it.
i think this horse has been beaten enough. already addressed that i will be driving the crap out of it and am not that concerned, but at the same time will protect it with reasonable steps.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:58 PM   #22
Jofu

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE
While I understand and agree with you guys' point about just driving it and not worrying about dings, I feel similarly to the OP that I'd cry a little inside if my new car got a ding before I even saw it in my own garage at home

I know it's just in my head, and a ding is likely just a matter of time, buuuuuuuuuut...

Geoff
Jofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:24 PM   #23
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
All these posts about God forbid.....it might get a rock chip from the road. It's a car, not a museum piece. Just drive it. Holy crap. Never spent a dime on paint protection or any of that and have driven my SS on 800mi round trips 4 times.
It’s a ZL1, not an SS. As someone who dropped the coin the get the ZL1 and then dinged it on the trip home, I speak from personal experience that it’s worth the effort to protect it.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:23 PM   #24
sspddmn

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE and 1991 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
It’s a ZL1, not an SS. As someone who dropped the coin the get the ZL1 and then dinged it on the trip home, I speak from personal experience that it’s worth the effort to protect it.
Beat me to it...LMAO!

There's nothing wrong with protecting my $75k car and trying to keep my things as nice as possible while still driving it and not treating it as a museum piece. When we bought my wife's brand new Audi, i wanted to do PPF on the front bumper. On the drive home from picking it up from the dealer, got a nice big rock chip to it. That hurt. $70k brand new Audi not even 20 miles on the odometer. After that didn't do PPF and a year later the bumper looks like shit like someone shot it up with a pellet gun. Every time i wash the car it makes me sick cuz if i were to repaint the bumper it'll cost me $3k plus the cost of ppf. Wouldn't have that issue if i spent the $650 to get the PPF put on. I live in CA (yes i f'n hate it here but the jobs here) and the roads and freeways suck here. Riddled with debris. So bottom line, its your car you take care of it the way you want to.

To the OP, you live here in the Bay also so FYI, I had to get my ZLE bumper refinished cuz the dealer messed it up. It cost me $2600 and that's a friends and family discount cuz their work is phenomenal. Body work is expensive here.
Attached Images

Last edited by sspddmn; 04-28-2021 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Pics
sspddmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:34 PM   #25
serper3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspddmn View Post
Beat me to it...LMAO!

To the OP, you live here in the Bay also so FYI, I had to get my ZLE bumper refinished cuz the dealer messed it up. It cost me $2600 and that's a friends and family discount cuz their work is phenomenal. Body work is expensive here.
idk what it is, but I agree it being a zl1 makes me more concerned. I had an '08 c6 corvette. I bought it 2 years old and had it for like 8ish years. i took care of it, but from day one was not as concerned about it. maybe if i had a c6z or c6 zr1 i would have felt differently.

where are you in the bay we should go for a cruise, grab a beer/coffee
Old 04-28-2021, 08:11 PM   #26
Sorange

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Congrats on the upcoming purchase! I bought my ZLE in June 2020, flew to Orlando and drove it 1500 miles home to Grand Rapids, MI. we made a week long vacation out of it! Stayed in Daytona Beach for a couple days, then headed to Gatlinburg TN for a couple days and drove Tail of the Dragon. Best car purchase experience i've ever had! I loved every minute of the trip! the ride was not terrible IMO but im also 34 and expected it to be rough. Even the girlfriend enjoyed all that time in the car and never complained or commented on the ride quality! As for protection I just drove mine home. I kept my distance in traffic to mitigate stones but i didn't have any issues. Once I got it home i had the whole car wrapped in PPF. If you have the time see if there is a local PPF installer and get it done before you head out of town.
Sorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:11 PM   #27
sspddmn

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE and 1991 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by serper3 View Post
idk what it is, but I agree it being a zl1 makes me more concerned. I had an '08 c6 corvette. I bought it 2 years old and had it for like 8ish years. i took care of it, but from day one was not as concerned about it. maybe if i had a c6z or c6 zr1 i would have felt differently.

where are you in the bay we should go for a cruise, grab a beer/coffee
I totally agree. I'm in the South SF. PM me and we can definitely set something up for when you get back with the Z
Old 04-28-2021, 10:20 PM   #28
serper3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorange View Post
Congrats on the upcoming purchase! I bought my ZLE in June 2020, flew to Orlando and drove it 1500 miles home to Grand Rapids, MI. we made a week long vacation out of it! Stayed in Daytona Beach for a couple days, then headed to Gatlinburg TN for a couple days and drove Tail of the Dragon. Best car purchase experience i've ever had! I loved every minute of the trip! the ride was not terrible IMO but im also 34 and expected it to be rough. Even the girlfriend enjoyed all that time in the car and never complained or commented on the ride quality! As for protection I just drove mine home. I kept my distance in traffic to mitigate stones but i didn't have any issues. Once I got it home i had the whole car wrapped in PPF. If you have the time see if there is a local PPF installer and get it done before you head out of town.
I wish I had the time for a trip like that. My wife is home with 2 kids under 2, so I am trying to get back asap.

I am 33 lol so who knows maybe in 20 years i will wish i got the magnetic ride lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspddmn View Post
I totally agree. I'm in the South SF. PM me and we can definitely set something up for when you get back with the Z
sounds good will do. i am in the east bay, and my parents are in the south. Maybe we can meet up at alices and drive down to the coast! i miss those roads!