#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-23-2021, 11:23 PM   #1
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Advice On Buying a Used ZL1 1LE

Hi All,

Looking to pull the trigger on a ZLE, hopefully the right one pops up sooner than later. Will likely be getting it out of state, fly out, and drive it home.

Just wanted to ask on here, what advice, things to look out for, etc?

I know the oil pump failure issue is of a concern. For the 18s - any idea what percentage of them built with new pump vs old? How much consideration or thought if any should I put into this, with 18s? I haven't reached out to too many dealers yet but I am hoping they would be able to easily provide the build date so I could narrow down and go with a later build car?

On the oil pump issue - also want to confirm, warmed up to temp normal pressure should by about 30 psi at idle?

I am looking for a stock car although later I will be modding at least some. Any easy way to tell if a car has been tuned? Other common things to watch for? Obviously LTs, intake, cam, exhaust are highly likely mods. Anything else I may want to look out for to avoid?

I know with GT350s, people call the dealership and can request a history on a car for any warranty issues. Is that something that Chevrolet can do? I guess there isn't really as big a need to do that with the ZL1 since they are not burning oil, like common with the GT350? Anyone else see any value in that? My concern obviously is that a car (especially when some 2018s have already had 2 owners) had issues, and the dealer was never able to correct. With most 18's running out warranty about now, I am concerned some cars that people couldnt get resolved are maybe now being dumped before anything serious happens.

I don't really care for options too much, but i think PDR would be nice. Anything else is a must have?

Tire wear? Anything I should look for? hopefully the car wont need new tires right away lol

I am super indecisive, and the color has been a huge pain for me! I see a lot of white, and a good amount of black cars for sale, but really would prefer to get a hyper blue or nightfall or shadow grey. Also obviously trying to get a reasonably good deal though. Any input, although I realize subjective, would be helpful.

On the purchasing side, obviously I want to negotiate the price before I fly out. Has that been pretty easy for people? I imagine since Covid, this has been a lot more common anyway. I am concerned i will show up, and they will try to jack up the price on me knowing I am already there, or I will show up and the car will not be as advertised.

Any advice on negotiating the price down? From what i am seeing with covid car prices being high, there isn't as much negotiation room as usual?

Once I find the car I try to pull the trigger on, I am going to try to get preapproved at a few credit unions, etc., to see what the best rate I can get so hopefully the dealer will at least match the rate I am offered if not beat it slightly.

I was going to get some track tape, or something similar for the front for the drive home. Is that worth it? Any specific recommendations on product would be helpful.

Thanks a lot! probably will have more questions as i get further into this.
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 01:00 AM   #2
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Even the early 18's still have over a year of warranty left.
5 year powertrain on all ZL1's.

my car has 14k on it, I was offered 53k from a dealership for it earlier this year.
I did not take the offer.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 12:16 PM   #3
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Are you looking specifically for an 18 MY?
You may find a car with new rubber already but the stock rubber doesn’t get you far in these cars and they turn into your worst enemy in the rain.

When purchasing these cars new there isn’t a lot option wise. I chose PDR and carbon fibre dash insert as well as a different gas cap. I did not get Navigation. But really they come fully jammed right out of the box.

I would recommend a product like track tape for the ride home for sure and put it on all the high impact areas.

I hate to say it but good luck on negotiating. These cars seem to be hot right now on the used market.

Good luck my friend.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 05:05 PM   #4
serper3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttowl View Post
Even the early 18's still have over a year of warranty left.
5 year powertrain on all ZL1's.

my car has 14k on it, I was offered 53k from a dealership for it earlier this year.
I did not take the offer.
Even if a car was sold in January 2018 ( a lot of them sold before that) the three year bumper to bumper is now done. Does the powertrain warranty transfer to new owners though? I thought for some reason it does not? Plus, would an oil pump be covered under the powertrain warranty even?

If i can stay in the high 50s I would be happy and consider it a good deal. above 60k I am thinking the mileage better be under $10k, the car needs to be super clean, in the right color, etc. Hard when I know a lot of people bought new ZLEs for 64-65k after discounts 1-2 years ago, but I understand that market was back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
Are you looking specifically for an 18 MY?
You may find a car with new rubber already but the stock rubber doesn’t get you far in these cars and they turn into your worst enemy in the rain.

When purchasing these cars new there isn’t a lot option wise. I chose PDR and carbon fibre dash insert as well as a different gas cap. I did not get Navigation. But really they come fully jammed right out of the box.

I would recommend a product like track tape for the ride home for sure and put it on all the high impact areas.

I hate to say it but good luck on negotiating. These cars seem to be hot right now on the used market.

Good luck my friend.
I think I slightly prefer the cleaner bumper of the '18s, but if it means less concern over the oil pump, I am totally okay getting a '19. The car won't see any rain so I am not worried about the aggressiveness of the tires really. I just dont want to drop $62k and then need to get new tires next month.

I don't think I really care too much about PDR, but I think it just is a good option to have. I really could care less about nav. They all come with apple car play though right? I test drove a ZLE with the carbon fiber dash and it looked awesome, but I do not see this in too many cars so I guess beggars can't be choosers.

I see track armour comes up when I do a google search. Is that a popular and quality brand? They have 3", 6", of 100', 1 roll should be enough correct? what width would be best?I am thinking 6"? Can this be applied onto the vinyl hood?

Yea, they are hot. I have been tracking prices for at least about 3 months. There used to be ~10+ cars nationwide in the mid 50k range. Now there are basically none, all the cars are listed at $60k+, and there are in general a lot less cars for sale. I have been waiting and looking, indecisive etc for too long though, and since IDK when this market is going to end, I really don't want to wait around forever.

Thanks again!
Old 04-24-2021, 05:10 PM   #5
43Camaro

Drives: [COTW 8/3/15] 2010 Camaro SS L99
The problem with used prices jumping into the mid 60's is the fact you can buy new for just a little more and have the warranty. You might just consider ordering new and waiting 6 months to take delivery. I just purchased a new ZLE for 70 and obviously have the full warranty.

This weird market has closed the gap between new and used and made it impossible to find a new car. I think patience either way might just be the best answer.

43Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 05:41 PM   #6
serper3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Camaro View Post
The problem with used prices jumping into the mid 60's is the fact you can buy new for just a little more and have the warranty. You might just consider ordering new and waiting 6 months to take delivery. I just purchased a new ZLE for 70 and obviously have the full warranty.

This weird market has closed the gap between new and used and made it impossible to find a new car. I think patience either way might just be the best answer.
Since I live in CA I don’t think I can get a new one, not a 2021 at least due to the brake issue.

I also really am hoping not to go above 65k. No miles and the warranty would be nice but i am already spending more than I originally was willing to spend. Used cars are a gamble for sure, but realistically, even if I find a 30k mile clean car with how little i will drive it it probably is worth the cost savings. Lower miles is better I guess but it’s not like I am going to be driving the car into the ground in the next 10 years so if the car has 20k more miles, that’s a year less of me driving it.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:11 PM   #7
scgms1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by serper3 View Post
Since I live in CA I don’t think I can get a new one, not a 2021 at least due to the brake issue.

I also really am hoping not to go above 65k. No miles and the warranty would be nice but i am already spending more than I originally was willing to spend. Used cars are a gamble for sure, but realistically, even if I find a 30k mile clean car with how little i will drive it it probably is worth the cost savings. Lower miles is better I guess but it’s not like I am going to be driving the car into the ground in the next 10 years so if the car has 20k more miles, that’s a year less of me driving it.
Hi serper3,

I responded as a few months ago I got the itch to pick one of these up. I'm in Southern California and there was a new ZL1 1LE, manual. It was everything I was looking for, except for the white, but I could live with that. I would have went down that weekend, but my son was busy and my wife has neuropathy so I didn't feel comfortable having her drive the 80 miles back home. If I were thinking I should have used my AAA and had my other car towed home...

I waited until the following Wednesday and made the call. Yup, the car is still here. Great, I'll be there after work tomorrow to pick it up. You want me to leave a deposit? No, that's OK. Are you sure? I guess there wasn't a big response on this car and they had it since November 2020. This is the middle of March.

The salesman calls me the following morning checking to see if I was serious - Yes, I'm coming, I've already got the loan unless you can get a better rate than 3.24%.

He calls at 2:45PM and gives me the bad news. They just sold the car. WHAT? He feels almost as bad as me as he's a commissioned salesperson. The car had been sitting there since November with zero interest and the very same day I was going down someone shows up before me - I guess that wasn't meant to be. That car was selling for $72,810 + tax/license...What's interesting is I saw a 2021 White ZL1 coming out of my housing complex last weekend - it might not be the same car, but...Not many of them out there.

Once I recovered I went on a search. I wanted a manual and that eliminated most of the few cars remaining in California. The paint I figured I could always wrap it. There were out of state cars that as it turns out would have had to been in California before 1/1/2021 to legally register this car in this state. I was going to drive to Vegas, but...

I found one in the Bay area and was going to book a flight and drive back with my wife. They were asking 15k above MSRP, and while I wanted the car I wasn't willing to pay more than MSRP, so. They mentioned there's a guy in there right now buying 2021 Corvette for 30k above MSRP. Oh, 15k isn't so bad then.

After that I set my sights on a clean used one. About a month ago I saw a white 2017 advertised at a local Toyota dealer with 9,200 miles on it. We stopped in on a Sunday and I drove it home that afternoon. I paid $55,600 + tax/license. The car had a sunroof, which I wasn't crazy about, but it was very clean and appeared to be well taken care of. There were a couple of scuffs on the factory rims from getting too close to curbs, but nothing else. I'm in the process of getting this ready for the track and was planning on tires/rims for that. I can have the scuffs taken out on the factory wheels.

I got them to give me a chance to check out the car at my shop and it looked really good.

To answer another question - the bumper to bumper warranty 3/36 has expired, but the remainder of the powertrain warranty is in effect until 1/2022. That's 5/60 and it's good for subsequent owners.

They're out there, but it's also a sellers market, although I have a feeling that's going to be changing in the near future.
scgms1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:10 AM   #8
Buckwheat
Account Suspended

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1
Congratulations Good score
ZL1 are hard to find nationwide
Factory closed indefinitely until further notice
Buckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 09:28 AM   #9
Jofu

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgms1 View Post
Hi serper3,

I responded as a few months ago I got the itch to pick one of these up. I'm in Southern California and there was a new ZL1 1LE, manual. It was everything I was looking for, except for the white, but I could live with that. I would have went down that weekend, but my son was busy and my wife has neuropathy so I didn't feel comfortable having her drive the 80 miles back home. If I were thinking I should have used my AAA and had my other car towed home...

I waited until the following Wednesday and made the call. Yup, the car is still here. Great, I'll be there after work tomorrow to pick it up. You want me to leave a deposit? No, that's OK. Are you sure? I guess there wasn't a big response on this car and they had it since November 2020. This is the middle of March.

The salesman calls me the following morning checking to see if I was serious - Yes, I'm coming, I've already got the loan unless you can get a better rate than 3.24%.

He calls at 2:45PM and gives me the bad news. They just sold the car. WHAT? He feels almost as bad as me as he's a commissioned salesperson. The car had been sitting there since November with zero interest and the very same day I was going down someone shows up before me - I guess that wasn't meant to be. That car was selling for $72,810 + tax/license...What's interesting is I saw a 2021 White ZL1 coming out of my housing complex last weekend - it might not be the same car, but...Not many of them out there.

Once I recovered I went on a search. I wanted a manual and that eliminated most of the few cars remaining in California. The paint I figured I could always wrap it. There were out of state cars that as it turns out would have had to been in California before 1/1/2021 to legally register this car in this state. I was going to drive to Vegas, but...

I found one in the Bay area and was going to book a flight and drive back with my wife. They were asking 15k above MSRP, and while I wanted the car I wasn't willing to pay more than MSRP, so. They mentioned there's a guy in there right now buying 2021 Corvette for 30k above MSRP. Oh, 15k isn't so bad then.

After that I set my sights on a clean used one. About a month ago I saw a white 2017 advertised at a local Toyota dealer with 9,200 miles on it. We stopped in on a Sunday and I drove it home that afternoon. I paid $55,600 + tax/license. The car had a sunroof, which I wasn't crazy about, but it was very clean and appeared to be well taken care of. There were a couple of scuffs on the factory rims from getting too close to curbs, but nothing else. I'm in the process of getting this ready for the track and was planning on tires/rims for that. I can have the scuffs taken out on the factory wheels.

I got them to give me a chance to check out the car at my shop and it looked really good.

To answer another question - the bumper to bumper warranty 3/36 has expired, but the remainder of the powertrain warranty is in effect until 1/2022. That's 5/60 and it's good for subsequent owners.

They're out there, but it's also a sellers market, although I have a feeling that's going to be changing in the near future.
So you ended up buying a non-1LE ZL1 then, yeah? That explains most of the price delta you saw, I think, versus $72k + tax.

Geoff
Jofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 01:21 AM   #10
serper3

Quote:
Hi serper3,

Glad you ended up finding a car and not paying over MSRP!

You may have seen my more recent post since, but I ended up buying my ZLE on 04/30. Flew out to TX and drove it home that weekend. 1 owner 6.2k miles, well optioned clean car. only thing I was not thrilled about was it was white, but i got it for $60k so happy overall. Have been out of town for a few weeks though, so really excited to drive it (except for on straight freeways lol).
Old 05-26-2021, 08:26 PM   #11
scgms1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by serper3 View Post
Glad you ended up finding a car and not paying over MSRP!

You may have seen my more recent post since, but I ended up buying my ZLE on 04/30. Flew out to TX and drove it home that weekend. 1 owner 6.2k miles, well optioned clean car. only thing I was not thrilled about was it was white, but i got it for $60k so happy overall. Have been out of town for a few weeks though, so really excited to drive it (except for on straight freeways lol).
Yeah I saw that. Congratulations! Did you happen to see the car i was talking about at F.H. Dailey Chevrolet, which I believe was close to you? It was a 2021 M6 ZLE Riverside Blue. The car is sold now...But it was available on 4/08.
scgms1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:39 PM   #12
serper3

Quote:
Yeah I saw that. Congratulations! Did you happen to see the car i was talking about at F.H. Dailey Chevrolet, which I believe was close to you? It was a 2021 M6 ZLE Riverside Blue. The car is sold now...But it was available on 4/08.
Thanks!

I don't really remember that car, but if it was a 2021, it was probably more than I wanted to spend.
Old 05-27-2021, 02:43 AM   #13
Jofu

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE
The 1LE at F. H. Dailey was indeed a 2021 and it had a markup on it...

Geoff
Jofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 11:50 AM   #14
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
my buddy works in used/new car industry and trade in his 18 zl1 1le and got a 2020 zl1 only for the warranty...car stock and said with his discount only ended up paying like 10k or something to get the new one also went from white to shock yellow