Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-21-2017, 07:46 AM   #1
80sMetalDude

Drives: .
Cranking Weak since Whipple

Couple things. Since finalizing the Whipple install I have been battling a slow weak turnover, engine starts fine.

Charged battery: 100%

Cranks "ok" drive to work get home and battery reads 67%.

So either my battery is kaput or the alternator is....

I cant think of anything related to the SC install that would impact the alternator any.

If I get a battery should I get one with more juice?

Any recommendations?
80sMetalDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:50 AM   #2
Omega

Drives: G8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sMetalDude View Post
Couple things. Since finalizing the Whipple install I have been battling a slow weak turnover, engine starts fine.

Charged battery: 100%

Cranks "ok" drive to work get home and battery reads 67%.

So either my battery is kaput or the alternator is....

I cant think of anything related to the SC install that would impact the alternator any.

If I get a battery should I get one with more juice?

Any recommendations?
Check to see if the Exciter plug is in properly on the alternator. Not the big power wire to the battery, there is a single wire connector at the 2 o'clock position I think.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:05 AM   #3
80sMetalDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega View Post
Check to see if the Exciter plug is in properly on the alternator. Not the big power wire to the battery, there is a single wire connector at the 2 o'clock position I think.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Thx for the tip I will try and find out what that is you are referencing... appreciate it
Old 07-21-2017, 08:17 AM   #4
brettman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Look at your dash gauge, is it charging?(n) (y)> Battery connection clean, tight? (y)> Battery bad
Alt, wiring, connection
2016 Camaro 1SS, Red Hot, K&N Blackhawk intake, Whipple Supercharger, 3.125 pulley, Kooks 2" long tube headers, High flow cats, secondary cats delete, Mishimoto catch can, P3gauge, Lots of dress-up crap that don't make it go any faster.

Car Journal http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490975

SC build http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492656

Drive, Ride, Fly It Like You Stole It

GO BIG OR GO HOME
brettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:41 AM   #5
80sMetalDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettman View Post
Look at your dash gauge, is it charging?(n) (y)> Battery connection clean, tight? (y)> Battery bad
Alt, wiring, connection
Going to pay closer attention I didnt even realize it gave an indicator for charging. 80sMetalNOOB damnit. OK so I do know when it was solid it was showing around 14v almost all the time and now it barely shows 12v def. low.

Will do more looking at this before I ask any more dumba$$ questions.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:44 AM   #6
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
Is the slow crank when warmed up/hot or all the time?

M6 cars have had issues with heatsoaked starters.

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:46 AM   #7
Eyefixstuff

Drives: 16’ 2SS A8 HBM Procharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian SS View Post
Is the slow crank when warmed up/hot or all the time?

M6 cars have had issues with heatsoaked starters.
Mine seems to have this problem. I was going to try to figure out a remedy his weekend.
Eyefixstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #8
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
How much slower is it? Superchargers themselves can cause a little slower crank just because of the drag. if it started fine right before you put it on and then the next time you tried starting it after the install it cranked a bit slower it might just be that.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:04 PM   #9
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Going to pay closer attention I didnt even realize it gave an indicator for charging. 80sMetalNOOB damnit. OK so I do know when it was solid it was showing around 14v almost all the time and now it barely shows 12v def. low.

Just FYI, the charging system toggles between charging and not charging, and as such the voltage will swing from 12-ish to 14-ish volts. The intent is two-fold; to reduce parasitic drag on the engine, and extend the battery life by lightly cycling it more often.

Also keep in mind you just added a bunch of drag to the engine with the supercharger. I'd compare the part numbers of the SS and ZL1 starters to see if they're the same, and then compare your cranking with a ZL1 to see if it seems similar. There also might be (likely are) cranking tune differences between the LT1 and LT4 engines.

So, a few things to keep in mind.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:27 PM   #10
brettman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:

The only dumba$$ question is the one NOT ASKED

To the other posts. I don't know if it's the manual trans (I have A8) But since the SC install I haven't noticed ANY change Hot or Cold at start-up.
2016 Camaro 1SS, Red Hot, K&N Blackhawk intake, Whipple Supercharger, 3.125 pulley, Kooks 2" long tube headers, High flow cats, secondary cats delete, Mishimoto catch can, P3gauge, Lots of dress-up crap that don't make it go any faster.

Car Journal http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490975

SC build http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492656

Drive, Ride, Fly It Like You Stole It

GO BIG OR GO HOME

Last edited by brettman; 07-21-2017 at 12:51 PM.
brettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:48 PM   #11
80sMetalDude

Thx for all the responses.

I was wondering too about the extra drag. I dont mind chucking a little $$$ at the problem if more CCA (learned that from Brett today ) at the issue.

That's an interesting thought about the ZL1 and SS prob having diff starters. Looks like Camaro all the way through Caddy CTSV use same starter part #.

And "heatsoaked" (would climate effect that) because it's been MEGA hot here in Detroit area last week and that's about all I have it running (1 week.)
Old 07-21-2017, 01:07 PM   #12
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Ok, same starters. Sounds like you need to do a cranking comparison with a ZL1. I'd also contact a tuner to have them see if there are different ZL1 cranking parameters. I haven't checked so that's just a theory, but it's likely there are differences.

Just for sanity, make sure your bypass valve is operating correctly. If it's closed during cranking, it'll add more parasitic drag.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #13
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
Quote:
Thx for all the responses.

I was wondering too about the extra drag. I dont mind chucking a little $$$ at the problem if more CCA (learned that from Brett today ) at the issue.

That's an interesting thought about the ZL1 and SS prob having diff starters. Looks like Camaro all the way through Caddy CTSV use same starter part #.

And "heatsoaked" (would climate effect that) because it's been MEGA hot here in Detroit area last week and that's about all I have it running (1 week.)
Yes outside temp would effect it.

My car usually only slow cranks like that after a few laps of autox. If I turn it off after a lap It struggles to start again, just cranks realllllllly slow.

It never did it outside of track racing but one day it was about 90 outside and I was idling in a hot parking lot and it slow cranked after trying to start it again.

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:28 PM   #14
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Not sure if you remember Lethal and the ProCharger issue thread.... I finally asked him what was the cause of his extremely slow crank (even though he said it went away I thought after cutting the SC belt. He received the Procharger back and they found no issues, the tensioner was also not an issue per CMS, so he said the final result was "guessing it was the starter". I believe I'm getting that quote right.
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote