The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 12-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
killascrimp

Drives: 14 z51
paint on my z51 sucks....

ok what should I do? The dealer that I bought my NRB 2lt made me come at night, I tried to come in the day but, he told me that there was a buyer coming to pick it up in the morning the next day. The next day I noticed, I had some paint issues and I also had a dime sized circle where the vent was that had no paint. I got the hood touched up but the orange peel is killing me, if you look at the passenger door its wavy and almost rippled. Have some spots on the panels, and now strangers are starting to point them out, my vin is 1077 and I understand that QC at BC has gotten better, How should I handle this because my local dealer didn't sell me the car and I don't want to come off as a bitchy customer...... also what's all involved in the fix? wet sanding?
killascrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
killascrimp

oh ya I also just bought a 20k$ Altima for the wife and her paint is flawless.....I don't get it.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by killascrimp View Post
ok what should I do? The dealer that I bought my NRB 2lt made me come at night, I tried to come in the day but, he told me that there was a buyer coming to pick it up in the morning the next day. The next day I noticed, I had some paint issues and I also had a dime sized circle where the vent was that had no paint. I got the hood touched up but the orange peel is killing me, if you look at the passenger door its wavy and almost rippled. Have some spots on the panels, and now strangers are starting to point them out, my vin is 1077 and I understand that QC at BC has gotten better, How should I handle this because my local dealer didn't sell me the car and I don't want to come off as a bitchy customer...... also what's all involved in the fix? wet sanding?
Well, the wavy door is more than likely due to the fact that they are of composite construction, at least the outer skin is. That can cause that "wavy" effect if it was a poor molding.

Now, there's no such thing as "bitchy" customer unless you get all loud and disrespectful. You have legitimate issues that you want sorted out, so just approach your local dealer with your concerns as calmly and cool-headed as possible. Any and all chevy dealers must honor your warranty, regardless of where you bought it. So, get in touch with your local dealer. If your local dealer refuses for whatever reason, contact the GM district manager for your area.

As far as what will be involved in the fix, it all depends on the severity of the defects. If you're lucky, you might even get the entire car re-skinned like a member of corvetteforum. Good luck.

As a side note. You should NEVER take delivery of a brand new car at night. Or, if a night time delivery is your only option, demand that they pull the car into the dealer garage so that you can closely inspect the car under some decent lighting.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Yeah, it sounds like your dealer was trying to rush you into the sale, almost like they may have been aware of the paint issues. It's even conceivable they may have had something to do with the chips on the hood.

As for repair, if the orange peel is relatively light, a cautious wet sand and buff should be able to get it smooth - assuming its mostly in the clear and not the color coat. And assuming the clear isn't too thin. A compentent body shop can help with an independant assessment of the severety of the problem before any repair work is done. Panther is correct - any and all Chevrolet dealerships are required to honor warranty repairs of all kinds. If the selling dealer refuses to fix the paint, contact the district manager and another dealership. Based on the treatment you got at the sale, I suspect you won't have much luck with the original dealership for the repair. Good luck, and keep us all posted on developments!
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
killascrimp

ya I think I will make a trip, its bad if you look at it under the florescent lighting in my garage, if they can fix the passenger side I would be supper happy..
Old 12-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #6
killascrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by killascrimp View Post
ya I think I will make a trip, its bad if you look at it under the florescent lighting in my garage, if they can fix the passenger side I would be supper happy..
and I didn't really know what orange peel was until I bought this car, it almost looks like I have 4 little dents on the doors on pass side and 3 on drivers side, then I have about 7 different spots that look trash, thankx
Old 12-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
DocHolliday

Drives: '14 Blade Silver Z51
OP can you post some pics? I know some other guys have had this issue and GM has gone out of their way to help.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
killascrimp

ya I will because my dealership said that the 7" paint drip was normal and basically, no paint can be perfect, LMAO what a STUPID ANSWER, she didn't want anything to do w me...se said all cars cant be painted perfect, that's when I said my last car was. she then said, ok well have a nice day.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
killascrimp

ok its hard to capture the ripple on passenger side door.Name:  vette1.jpg
Views: 1435
Size:  72.9 KB[ATTACH][ATTACH]Name:  vette4.jpg
Views: 1433
Size:  65.0 KB[/ATTACH][/ATTACH] both sides of rear panels have lots of paint build up, driver side has run w drip. and there is trash in paint, kind of hard to capture,
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
killascrimp

Now the dealership is saying that this is normal......the last pic is of a weird dull spot on driver door. hard to see.