Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-03-2017, 04:24 AM   #1
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Intake tube slipped off

I was doing an oil change on my SS last week and I noticed the the rubber piece that holds the two intake tubes together on my intake (rotofab) has begun to slip off. The gap between the rubber piece and the plastic tube was only a few millimeters and it was only present on the bottom side. I didn't get any CELs, however the I noticed the engine riding a little rough only on cold starts. I'm not sure how long it was like this for. I have 6500 miles on the car, so it couldn't have been like this for too long, however the engine bay has been really dusty lately due to all the pollen. Is there any chance that this could cause engine damage? The oil and filter has been changed and I think I'm going to use one of the upper induction cleaning sprays.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:06 PM   #2
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Any air leak beyond the filter is not good, but generally you will set a CEL on a large air leak. The easiest place to have a problem is on the bottom side where it's more difficult to see the clamp and coupler locations. We encourage anyone with our intake to inspect the installation to be sure your clamps are located as discussed below.

First, confirm the coupler itself is properly engaged on the duct work or throttle body before beginning the clamping process. The coupler material itself can fold under on the bottom side while appearing to be installed properly from the top side. The silicone coupler should be fully engaged with sufficient room for the width of the clamp while having some coupler material beyond the clamp. The crush on the silicone with material on either side of the clamp helps the clamp and hose stay in location. When placing the clamp on the coupler, be sure the clamp is seated on the silicone coupler on the bottom side. It's very easy to locate the clamp properly on the top side where it's highly visible while being on the edge or even off the coupler on the bottom side. Look from the best angle possible to inspect the bottom portion of the clamping joint. Again, this is the place a problem will most likely occur.
We recommend checking the clamps after a few drive cycles, then at every oil change.
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
Any air leak beyond the filter is not good, but generally you will set a CEL on a large air leak. The easiest place to have a problem is on the bottom side where it's more difficult to see the clamp and coupler locations. We encourage anyone with our intake to inspect the installation to be sure your clamps are located as discussed below.

First, confirm the coupler itself is properly engaged on the duct work or throttle body before beginning the clamping process. The coupler material itself can fold under on the bottom side while appearing to be installed properly from the top side. The silicone coupler should be fully engaged with sufficient room for the width of the clamp while having some coupler material beyond the clamp. The crush on the silicone with material on either side of the clamp helps the clamp and hose stay in location. When placing the clamp on the coupler, be sure the clamp is seated on the silicone coupler on the bottom side. It's very easy to locate the clamp properly on the top side where it's highly visible while being on the edge or even off the coupler on the bottom side. Look from the best angle possible to inspect the bottom portion of the clamping joint. Again, this is the place a problem will most likely occur.
We recommend checking the clamps after a few drive cycles, then at every oil change.
Yep that's exactly what happened. Like I said, the gap was very small, maybe around a mm or two and no noticeable impact on cruising around or even when giving it some gas. No CEL ever.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote