Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - California

Phastek Performance

Old 01-27-2022, 06:51 PM   #1
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Track Group/org Advice

Hi!

I am hoping to get some advice for a track day group/organizer to go with.

I have not done a track day since 2011! want to obviously take it easy my first several times out since I also have never tracked my zle (barely driven it since i got it actually lol). Previous car was a stock c6 z51.

I dont think i will be ready/have the time until mid march. My buddy is doing the HOD thunderhill weekend on 03.12/13 and I was thinking of doing that weekend also, but man HOD is not cheap! Looks like if i do instructed on Sat, and solo group A on Sun, i would be looking at $860 for the weekend, or ~$1300 including insurance.

I think i would like an instructor my first time back.

Any recommendations? I know some of the cheaper days are not beginner friendly (speed sf, etc)... What group or days would you guys recommend? Leaning towards thunderhill as it is under 2 hours from me and its a pretty "safe" track lol.

If i end up doing HOD in March I may just do one of the two days. Any recommendation on day 1 or 2? I am leaning towards day 2 since I think usually the second day there is less traffic as more 2 day people head out.

Thanks!
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 07:52 PM   #2
desertmonkey

Drives: '17 SS 1LE
You’ll be fine with any organizer as long as they split run groups based on experience. If you’re unsure just got with the novice/beginner group and they have enough precautions (point by passing) to make sure you’re not overwhelmed.

I’ve never taken track instruction so I can’t comment on that.
desertmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:42 PM   #3
Ninjor

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE
I would just keep an eye on the Thunderhill calendar.

https://thunderhill.com/event-schedule

I have run with a lot of different clubs and they are all beginner-friendly.
Ninjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:01 AM   #4
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Thunderhill will be your best bet getting back into the groove. It's well maintained and relatively safe.

SpeedSF, OnGrid, Turn8, NCRC and Corsa Club are all good organizations. I can't speak to quality of instruction but I know some of the SpeedSF guys also instruct on the side.

Keep in mind, novice groups USED to mean you had an in-car coach during your session. With Covid, they often do a lead-follow session so it's not as beneficial.

Lastly, sign up and look for events here: https://www.motorsportreg.com/calendar/

That's how I find the best deals. I attend most track events for $175-225 and occasionally cheaper. Good luck and see you out there. I'm going to Thunderhill this Saturday! Second event in the same week!
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:22 AM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
ive had with speedventures mostly and ongrid as of late both are awesome groups! and also speed district more $$ but tons of track time!
Old 01-28-2022, 05:15 PM   #6
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
I have only run with SpeedSF and have been impressed. Only a few minor issues and they were handled nicely.
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 08:36 PM   #7
Robster

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1, 6M
I've run with Speed Ventures and Extreme Speed Track Events and have had positive experiences with both. The instructor I got at Extreme was super helpful.

Also consider a training course. I did a full day with Fast Sideways and that was instrumental in improving my skills and confidence.
Robster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 10:29 PM   #8
funked1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster View Post
Also consider a training course. I did a full day with Fast Sideways and that was instrumental in improving my skills and confidence.
Can I ask how hard it was on tires? I have massive respect for Joe and Nik and am thinking of doing a day with them. And did you do the "Full Day Car Control Clinic" or was it one of the other options?
Old 01-29-2022, 10:43 PM   #9
Robster

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1, 6M
I did the Full Day Car Control Clinic with Nik and his crew.

I brought a "burner" set of rears that I got from a shop recommended to me by guys that do drift. Some cheapo tires with lousy grip compared to the OEM rubber (had them swapped onto the OEM rims at the tire shop at the track). Surprisingly, the burners could probably do another whole day. The fronts didn't have any wear worth mentioning.
Robster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 12:08 AM   #10
Dabjbr

Did the full event too. Same experience. They last. Don’t buy more than one new rear set of high tread wear a/s tires. Got some from Walmart for roughly $100 a tire.
Old 01-31-2022, 12:14 PM   #11
serper3

Thanks everyone!

I think my friend is going with that HOD event because of timing. it looks like ongrid has a thunderhill event the weekend after, March 19/20 and that will probably be way cheaper than the HOD event so I may just do that.

I am really interested in the fastsideways full day clinic. It sounds super fun, but also I think it would be really helpful. I think I would like to do one of these hpde weekends in March and then maybe shoot for a fastsideways day in May or June, and then plan for another hpde a month or two after. I would probably want to do it at thunderhill - would track insurance be a good idea for this event, or would it be pretty unlikely to have any other car/barrier contact at this clinic?

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2022, 08:02 PM   #12
Dabjbr

If you do a fast sideways event, I would recommend attending a track event day shortly after. Don't leave a large gap between. You'll want to remember the feel of what you learned and apply it on the road course.
Old 02-01-2022, 01:14 PM   #13
serper3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabjbr View Post
If you do a fast sideways event, I would recommend attending a track event day shortly after. Don't leave a large gap between. You'll want to remember the feel of what you learned and apply it on the road course.
I figured it would be better to do it sooner, but with my wife working on the weekends, and young kids, etc. it would be hard to commit to to weekends pretty close together. i will try though, maybe i can do 3-5 weeks apart.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:44 PM   #14
funked1

Thanks for the fast sideways info guys. Definitely gonna try it.