Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 08-17-2021, 05:58 PM   #1
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Z28 CARBON CERAMOC BRAKES ON ZL1-1LE?

Has anyone done this yet? If so, was it worth it? I am wondering about rotor life on the track only.

I would switch back to steel for the road. Or maybe switching back and forth wouldn't be good.

I believe I saw somewhere that the rear calipers would have to be swapped out with the z28 calipers also.

Or is a better option using the CT5-V brakes and rotors?
Old 08-17-2021, 06:01 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
why? if you want bigger brakes i would probably do the ap racing or essex bbk but what are you trying to achieve?
Old 08-17-2021, 06:47 PM   #3
Beescuz

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
I have 15 track days on my stock rotors and second set of stock brakes. Right at 1500 track miles.

I run with with some friends that have 5th Gen Z28's and they took off their carbon fiber rotors. Very expensive. They switched to Girodisc and love it.

You having issues?
Beescuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 08:55 PM   #4
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
why? if you want bigger brakes i would probably do the ap racing or essex bbk but what are you trying to achieve?
obviously better/harder breaking. and less rotating mass. There has to be something to the other big motor vehicles using the CC. I am trying to see if there is a longer life with them, substantial braking difference, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beescuz View Post
I have 15 track days on my stock rotors and second set of stock brakes. Right at 1500 track miles.

I run with with some friends that have 5th Gen Z28's and they took off their carbon fiber rotors. Very expensive. They switched to Girodisc and love it.

You having issues?
no doubt the oem brakes and rotors are good and last.

I noticed some brake fade at the NCM, but not anything to worry about yet.

I know they are expensive, just love having good hard braking.

Why did they take the CC off? just replacement cost? going through them quicker?
Old 08-18-2021, 12:21 AM   #5
cbourbs

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
Has anyone done this yet? If so, was it worth it? I am wondering about rotor life on the track only.

I would switch back to steel for the road. Or maybe switching back and forth wouldn't be good.

I believe I saw somewhere that the rear calipers would have to be swapped out with the z28 calipers also.

Carbon Ceramics won't last as long as the steel brakes. The only advantage is weight. I track with allot of Porsche guys and that's their experience. A good compromise might be the girodisk brakes. Some weight savings but just as good braking power and far less than carbon ceramics.

I stay with the stock brakes.
cbourbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 06:14 AM   #6
Beescuz

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
obviously better/harder breaking. and less rotating mass. There has to be something to the other big motor vehicles using the CC. I am trying to see if there is a longer life with them, substantial braking difference, etc

no doubt the oem brakes and rotors are good and last.

I noticed some brake fade at the NCM, but not anything to worry about yet.

I know they are expensive, just love having good hard braking.

Why did they take the CC off? just replacement cost? going through them quicker?
The replacement cost was the main issue. Also the Girodisc are as good and last longer. Girodisc with Raybestos brake pads for your car runs around $2800. Double that for CC.
Beescuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 07:31 AM   #7
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE

Anderson Composite's Sema car had them. As far as I know, the offset is really close, i think a shim is needed between the knuckle and the caliper mounts to get the right spacing to the rotor (or it may be the opposite and it needs to come closer, i know it is a 10mm difference though).

Not sure what you'd do with the parking brake, since the Z28 is a manual brake and the ZL1 1LE is electronic
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 02:37 PM   #8
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beescuz View Post
The replacement cost was the main issue. Also the Girodisc are as good and last longer. Girodisc with Raybestos brake pads for your car runs around $2800. Double that for CC.
ok, good info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post

Anderson Composite's Sema car had them. As far as I know, the offset is really close, i think a shim is needed between the knuckle and the caliper mounts to get the right spacing to the rotor (or it may be the opposite and it needs to come closer, i know it is a 10mm difference though).

Not sure what you'd do with the parking brake, since the Z28 is a manual brake and the ZL1 1LE is electronic
I dont think that matters, the "parking brake" is internal. But I do believe the rear CC brakes are larger and you have to get the rear calipers as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbourbs View Post
Carbon Ceramics won't last as long as the steel brakes. The only advantage is weight. I track with allot of Porsche guys and that's their experience. A good compromise might be the girodisk brakes. Some weight savings but just as good braking power and far less than carbon ceramics.

I stay with the stock brakes.
This is what I was wondering. If they lasted longer and lighter, it would be great. but 63lbs is not worth it to spend $6k every 3rd or 4th year only for weight savings.
Old 08-20-2021, 09:20 AM   #9
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
ok, good info.

I dont think that matters, the "parking brake" is internal. But I do believe the rear CC brakes are larger and you have to get the rear calipers as well

This is what I was wondering. If they lasted longer and lighter, it would be great. but 63lbs is not worth it to spend $6k every 3rd or 4th year only for weight savings.
Yes.... But the 5th gen Z28 has a manual parking break mechanism mounted to the caliper, with a physical brake lever in the cabin. The 6th gen has an electronically activated mechanism. You'd have to either make a custom parking brake handle/linkage for the vehicle, or adapt the factory 6th gen actuator to the back of the z28 caliper (edit, not correct. Thinking of a different vehicle)

Carbon rotors can last quite a long time, but it all depends on how aggressive of a pad you run. We have had track customers go through 3 full sets of factory GM carbon pads before the rotors were smoked, we have also had people smoke rotors after 1 set of aggressive pagid aftermarket pads.

Just like steel, wear varies on aggressiveness of driving/pad choice

Last edited by Katech_Zach; 08-23-2021 at 08:15 AM.
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 10:50 AM   #10
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
The 5th Gens didn’t have anything attached to the caliper, there’s a small drum brake set up inside the brake hat. They are not like the older Gens of Camaro/TA’s with a single piston rear disc brake set up.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 01:10 PM   #11
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:

I have an Essex/AP brake kit for sale that can work on a 6th gen. All that is needed is to buy a set of rotors with the 6th gen hat on them and a set of brake lines. All the rest of the part numbers are the same.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594055
Old 08-20-2021, 01:15 PM   #12
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
I have an Essex/AP brake kit for sale that can work on a 6th gen. All that is needed is to buy a set of rotors with the 6th gen hat on them and a set of brake lines. All the rest of the part numbers are the same.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594055
Thanks, I don't need CALIPERS though
Old 08-20-2021, 01:31 PM   #13
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Here’s a complete setup but if you need rotors only he might separate.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-and-rear.html
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 08:46 PM   #14
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
AP kit for track is best but really expensive...Z/28 setup CCRs looks great at Cars & Coffee but won't stop any better on track and costs $$$. I would stick with the factory rotors fitted with track pads, Ti shims for the front, GM front air deflectors, and Endless brake fluid. I use Hawk DTC70/60 and can outbrake nearly everything on track.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote