The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-27-2022, 12:21 PM   #1
6sigma

Drives: rally green LT1 manual
Parts shortage with warranty repairs

My wife got a new Buick Envision Avenir in November. It's a great car, very well built, has great tech and features (even has dynamic headlights and Audi-like sweeping turn signals), very comfortable, and has everything we want in a car. We were thrilled to be able to find a loaded model available in today's car market and even got a good deal.

After about 2 weeks of ownership, the center DIC and HUD died. The LCD screens and HUD display just completely blank, dead. Also some of the steering wheel buttons stopped working. Very strange problem, and my first thought was maybe a fuse or just needs a battery pull to reset everything. But no luck, so took it in for service and they said the DIC display unit gauge cluster and the steering wheel need to be replaced. Bummer, but s**t happens and sometimes you get unlucky and a part fails.

The bigger problem is parts availability though. After about 2 months of waiting, still no ETA on parts availability. I assume they are coming from Asia and with the general supply chain problem plus the chip shortage this seems bad. Could be 6+ months or more, nobody knows for sure.

The car is drivable, but the DIC, HUD, and some buttons don't work. Basic info like odometer and light indicators are on the DIC. Drive modes change with the drive mode button but you don't know what mode it is in. Some warning indicators and vehicle status info are on the DIC so not visible. The car beeps or vibrates the seat but you don't know why. Fortunately, the back up camera and stereo still work on the infotainment display. The analog speedo, fuel gauge, and tach are outside the DIC and working.

With all this not working and no real sense of when (or if) parts would become available, I'm pursuing a vehicle buy-back. GM and my dealer have been very helpful and are trying to do what they can. This is like a perfect storm with this part going bad (very unusual) and such difficulty getting replacement parts. And also now there are no equivalent Envision Avenirs available anywhere remotely close, so will probably look to swap out to something different like an XT4. My wife really likes the Envision though, so disappointed that we found the perfect car and now have to give it up. I told her we can always look at getting another Envision when vehicle supply improves.

The takeaway is hope nothing electronic breaks on a new car as right now good luck getting parts!
6sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 01:03 PM   #2
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
This is not unique to GM unfortunately and it'll continue for the foreseeable future.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:52 PM   #3
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
This is not unique to GM unfortunately and it'll continue for the foreseeable future.
^^^This^^^
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 02:39 PM   #4
BluinSC

Drives: BVM 1SS
Yeah my SS broke a track for the drivers power seat. Only 2 in the entire country no dealer would ship it to mine. Would need to pay $500 just to get on the list for it be sent from the factory and they had no idea when they'd receive it.

Thank goodness for telescoping wheels.
BluinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:10 PM   #5
2013ZL1FUN

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible A6 BRM
I think if my seat track broke a good one could be had from a junk yard in excellent condition at a reasonable price
Old 01-29-2022, 08:05 AM   #6
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
I have read recently that arbitrators are siding with the MFG because it is "not their fault" you cannot get parts. But who knows, each state is different. I know a few people on various forums waiting on various items from lights, fuel pumps, with no ETA.

It is a real cluster! For me the decision was easy, bail on the vehicle and get something else. No vehicle is worth that headache and potential headaches in the future.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 03:18 PM   #7
6sigma

Drives: rally green LT1 manual
Quick update on this. The needed part finally showed up, surprisingly. Only days away from confirming the buy back. Thankfully don't need to go through that headache. The car is now fixed and back to normal.
6sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:34 AM   #8
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Awesome news!!