The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 02-18-2014, 08:40 PM   #15
cosmicdust73

Drives: Black 3LT Stingray w/NPP, Carb Roof
I got the exposed carbon fiber roof on a black 3LT. Personally I think it looks sick! It's more subtle on a black car because it blends in more... but damn does it look nice in the sun! I picked the car because it had the NPP option and was the closest match to what I wanted... but I probably would not have gotten it if I ordered the car myself. It's definitely a pricey option.
cosmicdust73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:18 PM   #16
Bulos

Drives: 2015 Z51 2LT CRM & 2006 Scion TC
roof

I intend to order a crystal red, LT1 Z51 with Black wheels shortly. I like the way the black fiber roof looks but I live in South Florida and have heat concerns as we get a lot of incredibly torching sun down here. My Scion TC has a sun roof but it came with a sun shade that easily slides over the black glass and it does a good job and I have no extra heat issues. Does anyone have a definitive answer? I could live with the roof painted to match the car for the lines are so nice but that black roof does look cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmdmd View Post
Ditto GForensic. I ordered my crystal red Z-51 with the carbon fiber root because it just completes the look of this car and all the black accents. The roof was a must, along with the carbon flash mirrors/spoiler and black rims.
Bulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #17
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulos View Post
I intend to order a crystal red, LT1 Z51 with Black wheels shortly. I like the way the black fiber roof looks but I live in South Florida and have heat concerns as we get a lot of incredibly torching sun down here. My Scion TC has a sun roof but it came with a sun shade that easily slides over the black glass and it does a good job and I have no extra heat issues. Does anyone have a definitive answer? I could live with the roof painted to match the car for the lines are so nice but that black roof does look cool!
Just in case so no one gets confused regarding the exposed carbon fiber roof option vs. the transparent roof option...

The exposed cf roof is not see through since it only reveals the actual cf pattern via clearcoat yet it is still a solid roof therefore it will not torch your cranium... while the transparent is obviously see through (think of a tinted plexiglass clear window as your roof) therefore it lets sun/heat in...

Exposed CF Roof:

Transparent Roof:
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:15 PM   #18
Bulos

ahhh thanks for clarifying so the CF has the look without the heat issues?
One further question, my 84 Jeep is finished in bed liner and I know that the rough texture tends to trap dirt and grime, and such issues with the CF top? Thanks in advance and to those of you that have already responded.

Last edited by Bulos; 03-05-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #19
Stingray
just can't get enough

Quote:
ahhh thanks for clarifying so the CF has the look without the heat issues?
Yes, the exposed CF has the look but has no heat issues since it is solid. And keep in mind you have 3 roof options (stand-alone or via combo pkgs.) for the C7:

1) Body-color painted carbon fiber (this is standard; #2 & 3 are optional)

2) Exposed carbon fiber (same material as #1 except instead of body-color paint, the roof is clearcoated so you can visibly see the carbon fiber weave & pattern; the channels are still body-color painted however as you see on the red/cf roof I previously posted)

3) Transparent (clear & tinted; see-through)
Pic:
Old 03-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #20
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
No dirt issues with the visible carbon top - its completely smooth with a near-mirror clear coat finish. There is no texture to trap dirt.

And if you hot the transparent top, aftermarket companies make a number of easy to install liners to block the light and heat if needed. Since these are available for every transparent top on previous generations, I'd be shocked if they don't for the C7.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:38 PM   #21
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Here's a pic from the inside.
Attached Images

Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #22
Stingray
just can't get enough

I love the transparent top... especially during dawn, dusk, and evenings. What a great view!

I also like the fact that I have both body-colored and clear tops. For me it was worth it to purchase the clear top afterwards and still retain my standard top. I saved nearly $500 this way vs. ordering both as a package option (which would be $1995).
Old 03-06-2014, 01:11 AM   #23
Bulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
I love the transparent top... especially during dawn, dusk, and evenings. What a great view!

I also like the fact that I have both body-colored and clear tops. For me it was worth it to purchase the clear top afterwards and still retain my standard top. I saved nearly $500 this way vs. ordering both as a package option (which would be $1995).
You bought the clear top after you bought the car with the body colored one? Was it after market or from Chevvie?
Old 03-06-2014, 01:16 AM   #24
Bulos

Quote:
Yes, the exposed CF has the look but has no heat issues since it is solid. And keep in mind you have 3 roof options (stand-alone or via combo pkgs.) for the C7:

2) Exposed carbon fiber (same material as #1 except instead of body-color paint, the roof is clearcoated so you can visibly see the carbon fiber weave & pattern; the channels are still body-color painted however as you see on the red/cf roof I previously posted)

Pic:
I think for me since I do like the look the CH would be the way to go. In my Scion I open the moon roof sometimes at night but never feel compelled to slide the sun shade unless the roof is open I suspect with the vette I would from time to time take the roof off on a balmy. cool Florida day (rare) or evening (not so rare).
Old 03-06-2014, 01:17 AM   #25
Bulos

Quote:

Pic:
Old 03-06-2014, 06:26 AM   #26
Stingray
just can't get enough

Quote:
You bought the clear top after you bought the car with the body colored one? Was it after market or from Chevvie?
Yes I did. OEM GM clear top... there is no C7 aftermarket top available (yet).
Old 03-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #27
Bulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Bell View Post
I originally ordered my car with the dual roofs. The car I bought has the color keyed/painted roof. I'm really glad I didn't get these 2 roofs. Both break up the sleek lines of the C7.
Steven the more I study the pics the more I tend to agree I think on a brightly colored vette especially the black interrupts the lines making it "stumpier" solid Crystal Red I think it will be I'll save the 2K for speeding tickets.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:06 PM   #28
carsonulrich
3LT Z51 Torch Red Coupe

Drives: 1987 Corvette Convertible
I have the exposed CF roof. It was on the showroom vehicle I purchased a day ago. I probably would not have ordered a car with it, but now that I have it on my car, I am glad I do. As long as I plan on keeping the car, the $2K is worth it to me. The roof is gorgeous.
carsonulrich is offline   Reply With Quote