#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 02-05-2022, 09:18 PM   #1
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Soler 103mm TB Install - Seems Worth It

We just installed their 103 TB on a 2650-car and so far so good! I was capturing what I thought was a bit much vacuum in the snout (as much as 8 kPa on HPTuners), so it seemed interesting to try a 103-snout and TB. We try to go with our Sponsors and because Soler was one, and had a guarantee, we went that route.

I understand that we're running a newer version of this TB. The car had the stock-2650 snout and a ported-95mm LT5. I ported the piss out of it; enough such that the first one I did was pretty much un-tunable because of how much I shaved the shaft down - I didn't really get into the lower-air flow-areas, but I had to start over with a new one). I was logging as much as 8-kPa lately, so we wondered if it was worth it, even though it seems the consensus is it would not be. I like ice skating up-hill, so we tried.

I'll admit I knew full well about how it was strongly recommended to do the official idle relearn procedure first. I figured I'd have to retune anyways, so, in spite of that, I started adjusting the tune for idle TMA anyways. That was not helpful, as many seemed to have found. After several attempts, I got nowhere.

So - I started the procedure, and my TMA was allowing near-commanded spark (well above 10*) before I even started driving. The more we drove, the better the timing recovered after coming from a stop, and transitioned right into a smooth idle with plenty of advance. By the time we got home, timing was as good as I'd seen in the past. It's very encouraging.

As far as vacuum, it was impossible to go WOT. I tried to roll into it, but it was not really possible, and I couldn't really get out away from people, so I really couldn't stay in it too long. Even with the few short bursts, I saw a 3-kPA reduction in vacuum at redline. I was seeing about 94 kPa (102 baro minus 8) before and I was seeing less today. I have to try to stay in WOT more for a better evaluation and comparison, but so far, this little experiment might be worth it.

Was it worth it at this point? Considering there was a REALLY good deal on the snout, that made the mod' worth it, despite the modest original mods', I'd say that the combination is as optimized as can be for all things considered. There are cheaper ways to go faster, but not around these parts. This thing is real jewelry under the hood though. Good stuff - Good product from Soler. No - no one asked me to, nor did I offer to leave this review. I just appreciate the engineering and dedication to the product and customer. I value those.

Cheers!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 10:26 PM   #2
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Hope it all works out, sounds like it might.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:45 AM   #3
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
We just installed their 103 TB on a 2650-car and so far so good! I was capturing what I thought was a bit much vacuum in the snout (as much as 8 kPa on HPTuners), so it seemed interesting to try a 103-snout and TB. We try to go with our Sponsors and because Soler was one, and had a guarantee, we went that route.

I understand that we're running a newer version of this TB. The car had the stock-2650 snout and a ported-95mm LT5. I ported the piss out of it; enough such that the first one I did was pretty much un-tunable because of how much I shaved the shaft down - I didn't really get into the lower-air flow-areas, but I had to start over with a new one). I was logging as much as 8-kPa lately, so we wondered if it was worth it, even though it seems the consensus is it would not be. I like ice skating up-hill, so we tried.

I'll admit I knew full well about how it was strongly recommended to do the official idle relearn procedure first. I figured I'd have to retune anyways, so, in spite of that, I started adjusting the tune for idle TMA anyways. That was not helpful, as many seemed to have found. After several attempts, I got nowhere.

So - I started the procedure, and my TMA was allowing near-commanded spark (well above 10*) before I even started driving. The more we drove, the better the timing recovered after coming from a stop, and transitioned right into a smooth idle with plenty of advance. By the time we got home, timing was as good as I'd seen in the past. It's very encouraging.

As far as vacuum, it was impossible to go WOT. I tried to roll into it, but it was not really possible, and I couldn't really get out away from people, so I really couldn't stay in it too long. Even with the few short bursts, I saw a 3-kPA reduction in vacuum at redline. I was seeing about 94 kPa (102 baro minus 8) before and I was seeing less today. I have to try to stay in WOT more for a better evaluation and comparison, but so far, this little experiment might be worth it.

Was it worth it at this point? Considering there was a REALLY good deal on the snout, that made the mod' worth it, despite the modest original mods', I'd say that the combination is as optimized as can be for all things considered. There are cheaper ways to go faster, but not around these parts. This thing is real jewelry under the hood though. Good stuff - Good product from Soler. No - no one asked me to, nor did I offer to leave this review. I just appreciate the engineering and dedication to the product and customer. I value those.

Cheers!
Bigger TB is a no brainer on a bigger blower, IMO. I think you made a good move and you’ll be able to dig into it a little more once you get a spot to open her up without traffic.
Old 02-06-2022, 02:06 PM   #4
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
So just to summarize as you know radz I'm getting the 2650 with CARB tune beginning of march, this add on modification to the 2650 WOULD require a retune correct?
Old 02-06-2022, 03:06 PM   #5
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
So just to summarize as you know radz I'm getting the 2650 with CARB tune beginning of march, this add on modification to the 2650 WOULD require a retune correct?
To my knowledge, yes. The stock tune or even a canned tune probably isn't going to know how to deal with the increased airflow from the larger TB. I don't know of anyone that has run anything larger than a 95mm on a stock tune.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:09 AM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

I believe Z OH 6 is right. PERHAPS - you could get by and get the car to idle, like I was able to, but I’m not sure the MAF scaling will be right, and would especially be skeptical of WOT. I’m still working to figure that part out, but I’ve seen posts claiming NO tuning was needed. I have no idea of the context of those claims, but know I will be monitoring. Why wouldn’t I? It’s another opportunity to try to optimize the tune, so why not. Finding a place to hoon’ is the problem…

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 02-07-2022, 10:13 AM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Bigger TB is a no brainer on a bigger blower, IMO. I think you made a good move and you’ll be able to dig into it a little more once you get a spot to open her up without traffic.
I was hoping to be wrong, and maybe I’ll find I am when I’m done, but the consensus is you’re right. You’ve already been there, if I recall. Maybe the cost-to-HP benefit isn’t there, but the build started that way anyways, ha. I’m just trying to play the game.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 03-16-2022, 04:16 PM   #8
clg82

I know i'm digging up an old thread here and we've been talking offline about myself also upgrading to the 103mm when they install the magnuson, but what intake are you running radz? Regular RotoFab, or a BigGulp, or stock?
Old 03-16-2022, 10:19 PM   #9
radz28
Petro-sexual

I'm playing on a car with a Big Gulp, Soler "107", and the 103 Magnuson snout. For us CA guys, we have to spend more money for every little HP unlike the rest of you.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 03-17-2022, 09:25 AM   #10
clg82

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
I know i'm digging up an old thread here and we've been talking offline about myself also upgrading to the 103mm when they install the magnuson, but what intake are you running radz? Regular RotoFab, or a BigGulp, or stock?
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I'm playing on a car with a Big Gulp, Soler "107", and the 103 Magnuson snout. For us CA guys, we have to spend more money for every little HP unlike the rest of you.
Ok soooooooooooo YOU are running the stock box then?