Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-18-2021, 03:52 PM   #15
rickybobby

Drives: BMW M3, ZL1 1LE
That's noise from the spherical bearings in the camber plates. Totally normal.
rickybobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 02:24 AM   #16
Chippy
BanHamWatch

Drives: 21 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickybobby View Post
To clarify the Boing sound is normal? And if so do you know why in hotter temps it becomes more prevalent? Thx in advance
Old 06-24-2021, 11:21 PM   #17
Og Neon
Lover of Speed

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickybobby View Post
How does a spherical bearing make a spring like sound though? That doesn't add up to me at this point. Can you give me some more source data or how you came to that conclusion? It would help me understand where you are coming from.

2021 One Lap of America Track Videos
2019 One Lap of America Track Videos
2017 One Lap of America Track Videos

2022 Ram TRX
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR (Sold)
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT (Sold)
2014 Camaro Z/28 (Sold)
Og Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:58 AM   #18
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
I've heard it maybe twice, it's like a loud "PONG" sound and does sound like the suspension's spring, but it has done it when the car was cold and I was backing out of my driveway which has a pretty good sized approach angle going to the street.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:28 PM   #19
Camaro#7

Drives: 2021 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE, A10
Here's an update on mine: Got to the dealer from New Mexico to the one in Oklahoma Monday. Wouldn't you know it the car is not doing it by the time I get to Oklahoma. Did some hard breaking and everything I could think of to make it do it. Dealer kept the car until Wednesday evening and had their shop foreman drive the car and couldn't get it to do it. They checked everything on the front end and decided to check the alignment. It was out of factory spec and aligned it for free(2100 miles on it). I picked it up and drove around town for about 20 miles and couldn't get the car to do anything either.

Head back to New Mexico yesterday and get all the way without the car making a single sound. Stop at a gas station to top it off and as soon as I go to pull away from the pump it does it! I have no idea what to think at this point other than the humidity in OKC helped whatever is making the noise and when I get it back to dry air then it binds up again.
Camaro#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:10 PM   #20
Og Neon
Lover of Speed

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro#7 View Post
Here's an update on mine: Got to the dealer from New Mexico to the one in Oklahoma Monday. Wouldn't you know it the car is not doing it by the time I get to Oklahoma. Did some hard breaking and everything I could think of to make it do it. Dealer kept the car until Wednesday evening and had their shop foreman drive the car and couldn't get it to do it. They checked everything on the front end and decided to check the alignment. It was out of factory spec and aligned it for free(2100 miles on it). I picked it up and drove around town for about 20 miles and couldn't get the car to do anything either.

Head back to New Mexico yesterday and get all the way without the car making a single sound. Stop at a gas station to top it off and as soon as I go to pull away from the pump it does it! I have no idea what to think at this point other than the humidity in OKC helped whatever is making the noise and when I get it back to dry air then it binds up again.
Ugh! So frustrating right! I feel it is impossible to diagnose this problem since we all can only recreate it in very tight parameters in which the dealer will never encounter.

2021 One Lap of America Track Videos
2019 One Lap of America Track Videos
2017 One Lap of America Track Videos

2022 Ram TRX
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR (Sold)
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT (Sold)
2014 Camaro Z/28 (Sold)
Og Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 09:59 PM   #21
rickybobby

Drives: BMW M3, ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Og Neon View Post
How does a spherical bearing make a spring like sound though? That doesn't add up to me at this point. Can you give me some more source data or how you came to that conclusion? It would help me understand where you are coming from.
I really don’t have any explanation other than it’s metal to metal contact that transmit sounds at certain frequencies. Temperature, humidity likely have some effect on it. I’ve found it to be a fact of life with spherical bearings.
Generally speaking, our camaros are fairly quiet and the bearings used are very high quality. I’ve had ground control camber plates on bmws that make all kinds of noise.

I believe it’s in the owners manual they such noises are normal. Hopefully wince the dealers checked it over you can have some peace of mind.
I’ve got 15k miles and the sound hasn’t gotten any worse. Sometimes backing out of my driveway gives me some noise. Also, the Goodyear 3rs seem to amplify it more than the p4’s I run on the street.
rickybobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:27 AM   #22
Camaro#7

Drives: 2021 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE, A10
I think rickybobby has hit well. I think the humidity has something to do with it. I a high quality dry lubricant on the left front spring and sprayed the underside of the camber plate a bit and cleaned of any excess. So far it has not popped again. I will update you all as I figure more out on it.
Camaro#7 is offline   Reply With Quote