Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-08-2020, 07:08 PM   #1
Orangeman13

Drives: 2023 Black Camaro 2SS
Camaro v. Lexus RC F

So my wife recently purchased a Lexus RCF and she keeps reminding me of how reliable Lexus is. Right now I’m trying to decide between getting a 2021 Camaro or not. If both are equally taken care of do you think I can still get 2 to 300,000 miles out of a Camaro 2SS? I’m very good about getting all my maintenance done on time.
Orangeman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:35 PM   #2
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
I haven’t had any issues with my camaro since I bought it new. I don’t know that you can compare reliability on the without comparing the upfront cost, isn’t the Lexus like $65k?
They such different cars because of the way they’re driven which will affect their reliability. If I got a Lexus I would cruise in it, I drive my SS like I stole it.

What kind of camaro are you looking at? I4, v6, Ss or zl1?
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:05 PM   #3
Orangeman13

Drives: 2023 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28pat View Post
I haven’t had any issues with my camaro since I bought it new. I don’t know that you can compare reliability on the without comparing the upfront cost, isn’t the Lexus like $65k?
They such different cars because of the way they’re driven which will affect their reliability. If I got a Lexus I would cruise in it, I drive my SS like I stole it.

What kind of camaro are you looking at? I4, v6, Ss or zl1?
A 2ss. Isn’t a 2ss built to be driven like it was stolen?
Orangeman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:11 PM   #4
Nightfall ss1le

Drives: 2020 A10 ZL1 1LE
I can’t imagine these being any less reliable than other GM V8’s & every one I’ve had has been reliable as hell. I’ve only got 34K on this one but it’s given me no indications that it’s unreliable & I felt completely safe ruining my warranty with mods.
Nightfall ss1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:18 PM   #5
BigGuy81
Account Suspended

Drives: Man
Send a message via ICQ to BigGuy81 Send a message via AIM to BigGuy81 Send a message via Yahoo to BigGuy81
It's a Lexus. It will last sometime until after the heat death of the universe.
BigGuy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:40 AM   #6
yourmomshouse

Drives: 2016 2SS 6MT
I actually cross shopped these two and ended up with the Camaro. Better chassis, better handling, better ride quality, just a better driver's car all around. I'm not worried about the engine and Tremec tranny not lasting, but can't say the same around the rest. With the Lexus, you don't have to worry about anything going bad for the next 10 years. The interior, sound insulation, and sound system are light-years ahead of the Camaro. It's also $20k more than the 2SS. Also in the running were the ZL1 and GSF(all 4 used, under 15k miles). But the 2SS was the best bang for the buck especially considering driving dynamics are the most important thing to me. $10-20k buys a metric shit ton of mods, even if you go for the good stuff.
yourmomshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:35 AM   #7
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman13 View Post
So my wife recently purchased a Lexus RCF and she keeps reminding me of how reliable Lexus is. Right now I’m trying to decide between getting a 2021 Camaro or not. If both are equally taken care of do you think I can still get 2 to 300,000 miles out of a Camaro 2SS? I’m very good about getting all my maintenance done on time.
Generally speaking, the Camaro will be every bit as reliable at the Lexus RCF. Not to mention that your maintenance will be about half the cost over the lifetime of the car. (By lifetime, I mean as long as you have the car)

As far as 200 to 300K miles, sure, it's possible. Though, in my lifetime, I can probably count on one hand any passenger car I've seen with over 200k miles on it. If you drive the "avg" 12K miles a year, at 200K miles, you will have owned that car for just under 17 years. So, again, generally speaking and going by consumer avg. in that time this car will be three cars ago, so that's really a moot point.

But I see it this way, if she spent $60-$70K on her ride, then so should you. That brings you to ZL1/ 10spd auto territory. In that car you can run circles around that RCF making it look like a Camry, for the same amount of money.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:58 AM   #8
JPC

Drives: 2012 Boss 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy81 View Post
It's a Lexus. It will last sometime until after the heat death of the universe.
unless you track it
RC 350
my novice friend to 2 HPDE days a couple years ago. Lexus sales man said go for it, your Lexus can take it
Lexus service replaced all the brakes rotors, pads etc after 2 days, service said NEVER do that again

This is why I NEVER see Lexus at track and always at valet parking lots.
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:15 AM   #9
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Though, in my lifetime, I can probably count on one hand any passenger car I've seen with over 200k miles on it.
really? i guess i need to keep better company. no exaggeration, everyone i know has or has had a vehicle with over 200k miles on it. some even over 300k miles. my dd right now has 274k on it.

to answer the op question about a 6g camaro lasting that long...im sure it's possible. in my opinion, not probable without at least one major powertrain part failure. not to mention all of the electronic stuff on modern cars. i think the days of 300k mile gm products ended with the pre 2014 pickup trucks. i certainly would not buy a camaro with the intention of it lasting much over 175k without major work.

im a hillbilly, i will always have old american vehicles around. that way when my new cars won't start because they have "low voltage" or are immobilized because they need a software update...i can still get where i need to go.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:27 AM   #10
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
really? i guess i need to keep better company. no exaggeration, everyone i know has or has had a vehicle with over 200k miles on it. some even over 300k miles. my dd right now has 274k on it.

to answer the op question about a 6g camaro lasting that long...im sure it's possible. in my opinion, not probable without at least one major powertrain part failure. not to mention all of the electronic stuff on modern cars. i think the days of 300k mile gm products ended with the pre 2014 pickup trucks. i certainly would not buy a camaro with the intention of it lasting much over 175k without major work.

im a hillbilly, i will always have old american vehicles around. that way when my new cars won't start because they have "low voltage" or are immobilized because they need a software update...i can still get where i need to go.
Ditto on the hillbilly mentality.

I always have some old shitboxes I can depend on laying around. My Blazer had over 300k before I got rid of it and one of my Miatas has over 200k.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:06 PM   #11
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I have a 2000 GMC Yukon with 226,000 that is mint. It's no longer a daily, just use it mainly to pull my boat. The engine is untouched, still OE alternator and AC. Has had EGR, Water pump, Knock sensors replaced. Trans, transfer case, and front diff have been rebuilt. Suspension, brakes, brake hoses all upgraded.

So yes you can likely go 2-300k miles with Camaro but expect to replace some shit along the way.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:30 PM   #12
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Drives: '16 Z06
Don't see why you couldn't get to 200-300k miles. Cars are more reliable today than they were decades ago. The Lexus will probably go twice the distance without issue, but doesn't mean the Camaro won't go far. I would definitely beat on it too. They're meant for it.
JasonGofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:06 PM   #13
BigGuy81
Account Suspended

Drives: Man
Send a message via ICQ to BigGuy81 Send a message via AIM to BigGuy81 Send a message via Yahoo to BigGuy81
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC View Post
unless you track it
RC 350
my novice friend to 2 HPDE days a couple years ago. Lexus sales man said go for it, your Lexus can take it
Lexus service replaced all the brakes rotors, pads etc after 2 days, service said NEVER do that again

This is why I NEVER see Lexus at track and always at valet parking lots.
Car not designed for track use eats through brakes at a track day. I will be sure to note this historic event.
BigGuy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:18 PM   #14
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
What's your goal here? IMO they are different cars.

RC F is a sporty GT, Camaro SS is a sports car.

A 2SS will run circles around the RCF. I would argue it's easier to daily drive given the amount of torque available down low. The tradeoff is that the Camaro interior definitely won't be as nice. It's very functional and has many bells and whistles with 2SS, it just isn't a Lexus or BMW. With that said, I have heard that Lexus infotainment system is potatoes, so there are things Camaro would do better than RC F interior-wise.

As far as the engine goes, small blocks should be decently reliable. Toyota engines are generally pretty good but at the same time, V8 isn't exactly Toyota's specialty, so I don't think it will be better or worse than the LT1.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote